Newbie!

Snoopy 24
Snoopy 24
@snoopy-24
one month ago
2 posts

Hi! I am new here.  I think I am an empath, so I am trying to find some coping tools.  I recently had an experience on Christmas Eve morning, when I suddenly became very sad and depressed with feelings of death and the hopelessness of death.  I couldn't figure out why, normally I am happy at that time, specially since I was finishing up wrapping gifts and looking forward to zoom chats with family in the early afternoon.  I shook it off after a couple of hours.  Later that day I noticed people coming over to our next door neighbors house for a visit.  Shortly after that the police and squads showed up, our entire cul de sac was full of emergency vehicles.  Later, I found out my neighbor had died in his sleep overnight he lived alone (divorced with 2 daughters).  My husband and I were both spooked about it, since I had told him I was sad and didn't know why and I had asked him some questions around dying and death.    

The house next door is vacant now, until his daughters can get back in May.  I don't feel anything much from the house now, other than sadness and a bit of unsettledness.  My husband wondered if he was still alive and dying when I felt those feelings.  I try not to dwell on that. I hope not and keep telling myself he had passed. This incident is still haunting me. Our Neighbor was perfectly healthy I had just waved to him the day before.  There was not an autopsy, his brother said he had covid two weeks before but was asymptomatic and had been cleared to go back to work.  I think it probably had something to do with COVID, but it is unknown.  No foul play.  So now we help out with keeping on eye on the house until they can sell it.

I fit a lot of the traits of an empath, I have tried to ignore it in the past I think.  I am also a logical engineer as is my husband so trying to figure out the path for me as a result.  Any advice is appreciated. maybe I have been hiding from it for too long.  I was always "too sensitive" as a kid, people telling me their life story after just meeting them, being able to read a room of people, intuitiveness, being drained after dealing with lots of people (which I found fun but still draining).  Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!  Snoopy24

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
one month ago
1,468 posts

Welcome Snoopy24! It does sound like you're an empath, or at the very least an HSP, which stands for highly sensitive person. You may want to click on the Help For Empaths section at the  top of the page, just to the right of Forums. There are lots of resources there for general help for empaths. 

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
one month ago
246 posts
@snoopy-24 grounding is going to be key. It sounds simple but it is easier said than done. But if you can remain grounded you'll still feel everything but you'll be able to chose how you respond.

I am a big fan of metals and crystals but they are not for everyone. If you smoke cigarettes I recommend ceasing as it can amplify what you feel making it harder to control.

If you're into meditation, yoga, or any kind of energy work those can help.

I also attend therapy. I do not share my gift with my doctor but we work a lot on being in the moment and mood regulation. Which is a great help.

Also diet can be very important. These are things I have worked on for years that can have really changed my life.

Hope this helps.
crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
one month ago
246 posts
Last thing is a careful choice in friends.
TigerLily
TigerLily
@tigerlily
one month ago
519 posts
Welcome to the empath family! :)

Grounding is essential to release everything. Sometimes its not easy and it can be time consuming. But, when you are, it feels amazing! :)

You can try being in nature more often, walk barefoot outside, eat a well balanced diet, exercise, yoga, meditation, stones/crystals, salt baths, to name a few. Try to stay away from negative situations, negative people, maybe even social media keep to a minimum.

We absorb emotions and energy like a sponge. It is very possible you felt your neighbors energy before passing. Also good you can recognize that as well. Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint who's it can be in heavily populated areas or environments like work or a store.
Bing
Bing
@bing
one month ago
561 posts

Welcome to the EC.  I am including a link to a topic that I think you will find helpful. On Being an Empath .  

Throw some love into the wind

Bing

Snoopy 24
Snoopy 24
@snoopy-24
one month ago
2 posts

This is great thanks everyone!  I appreciate you taking time to respond.  I am going through all the links and resources a little at a time, small steps seem to be helping me stay balanced.  If I read too much too quick I find myself getting sad. I appreciate the help. 

I have been fairly sad lately, and I wonder now if it is possibly another neighbor.  I live in a fairly older neighborhood with several widows and retirees and I am working at home.  Maybe I should try to get out more and see if the sad feelings leave me when I am away from the house.  I am trying grounding but not working yet...as you say not easy but I will keep trying.  

One other thing that might help is could you tell me what you like about being an empath? One thing I realized I have been doing all my life is putting myself in or near happy places, watching happy things on TV, or U Tube (my current favorite is the live streams from Disney world). I think I feel the happy energy.  

Snoopy24

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
one month ago
1,468 posts

Snoopy24,

The thing I like most about being an empath is that I can read almost everyone so well. I did not realize how much this helped me avoid trouble, until I met someone I could not read properly, and botched the whole relationship due to my misreading. I realized then how much I depend on this ability in normal day to day life. I have also been able to help others out by reading someone, when they were about to be taken advantage of, and sometimes the issue involved has been quite serious. I hope this helps a bit. I think we are all a bit sad now, being in this ongoing, highly unnatural situation for human beings. We empaths are feeling the sadness of those around us as well. Taking walks out in nature is almost always a great idea, and even if it doesn't help lessen your sadness, there are so many other benefits! 

We moved!

After almost 15 years of discussions, the Empath Community has retired!

Join our private Facebook group to continue the conversation! 

empath book