Just Joined- Sad Movies

Grapeape
Grapeape
@grapeape
10 months ago
3 posts

So I am so happy to find a name for the what I am. I thought I was crazy for me emotions being way to strong, when everyone around me is fine.

I actually have such a strong reaction to sad movies. It is unbearable to me to watch them at all. I have to get up and leave the room in a sobbing mess. not just tearing up but sobbing from so much emotion. I am a mess for at least an hour. I actually have just started making sure that we don't watch any thing sad. I love action and horror just fine, its weird. I don't even like romance. Even sad commercials make me cry.

I hate that I have no control over my emotions. its embarrassing. My husband and kids just laugh at me. A sad show will have me crying even days after when I even think of the movie.

Even just when someone tells me something sad about a loss or sickness in their family I just start crying.

Is this normal for an empathy? Anyone else having similar issues?

updated by @grapeape: 06/14/20 09:29:02AM
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
10 months ago
1,099 posts

@grapeape :

Welcome to the community. I have had the same issues with movies at times. And it's not just the sad stuff as I often cry during stories of underdogs who succeed with all the odds stacked against them. For me I think I tend to be more emotionally sensitive when my vibration is low. But, when watching a sad movie in a movie theater with all those people in the crowd who are also reacting to the sad movie, that can be overwhelming. Similarly, I've also had a tough time at funerals when everyone is upset and emotional. We empaths are magnets for emotional energy. 

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
10 months ago
1,458 posts

Welcome @grapeape,

I will start crying half way through a sad movie and still be crying two hours after it ends. I cannot take violence and horror though and the noise in action movies is unbearable. I also do not like romances, since they are illusions of what love really is and I think they are responsible for a lot of divorces. real pain, like starving dogs in ASPCA ads, makes me cry buckets though.

I agree with @hop-daddy that it gets worse when I am down for other reasons and under stress or sleep deprived. 

If you want to be able to tolerate some of it, it may help to rest up in advance of the experience and have light, non-stressed out days for a few days before and see if it helps. I no longer watch news at all, for example. We empaths are 5%  of the population and have deeper feelings than the average person. There is a lot you can read on this site to help you out. You may want to read the Empath Survival Guide at the top of the Home page....

Grapeape
Grapeape
@grapeape
10 months ago
3 posts

Thank you both for your replies! It will be so nice to get control of my emotions. Feel so helpless. But so glad now that I know its common. I really thought I was going a little crazy that I wasnt like everyone around me. They think I am hormonal lol, but I have always been like this. Appreciate your responses!

Grapeape
Grapeape
@grapeape
9 months ago
3 posts

Thank you Mez I am going to try to control my emotions, the only way usually is to just leave the room so I cannot hear anything either a movie or in real life. Just needs time and practice. Thanks for reply!

Bing
Bing
@bing
9 months ago
559 posts

Hi Grapeape 

Welcome to the EC.  I am one of the biggest mushes when it comes to sad or Love movies.  You are an empath!!! You are not " normal " and were not meant to be. You, like many of we Lightworkers came here at this time to elevate the levels of Light and Love on a world that is going through a massive SHIFT of consciousness.   If you wish to know more about this you can find recommended books and articles in the Group section.  If you wish I can send you some recommendations.   Once again welcome to the EC and know that you are amongst your own kind. 

Throw some love into the wind.

Bing

Abraham 37.jpg

gothceltgirl
@gothceltgirl
5 months ago
8 posts

When I had cable, I had to change the channel, walk away, or mute the TV when those ASPCA PSAs came on, the ones with Sarah Mclachlan depressing songs. It's like extra, extra sad with sad on top.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
5 months ago
1,458 posts

Welcome @gothceltgirl,

I agree, the ASPCA ads with Sarah McLaughlin singing "In The Arms of the Angel" are the absolute worst of all. I have to mute the sound and look away. I do help a local animal shelter that is very well run, but not the ASPCA, which pays its administrators a fortune. It's important to look into how charities are run before giving, imo. Some are very good at putting the funds into actually helping, like the Salvation Army, for example. But, some are really bad and give way too much to administrator salaries, like the Red Cross. 

If you're new at reading here, you might want to start with The Empath Survival Guide at the top of the home page. :-)

gothceltgirl
@gothceltgirl
5 months ago
8 posts

@cheshire-cat, I will read it, :-)

Yeah, I have heard that some charities, are more charitable internally, with the administration, than the actual giving.

Want to reply? Login here

Help for Empaths

empath book

Keep in touch!

facebookIcon.png iconTwitter.png