Introducing new dog to pack

michelle
@michelle
9 months ago
256 posts

Hi All,

Most, if not all, here are dog lovers. 

My son unexpectedly informed me he was getting a male golden labrador retriever [+/- 1 yr. old] from a co-worker. We have an older  male border collie and a 3 yr. old german shepard [female]. We have cats too but they're good at holding their own space.

I'm looking to learn more about introducing a new dog to the pack and any favorite calming methods or natural supplements you have used.

This will be my 12th dog in my life so I'm well versed in ownership. The new dog, the lab, comes from owners who shouldn't have purchased a dog. He doesn't walk well on a leash, is very excitable, and it is apparent the old owners didn't do much with him. His name is Bolt. He is not aggressive.

Flyboy, the border collie is old...15yrs. and is mellow. I just have to watch that Bolt doesn't get too rambunctious with Fly.

Greta, the german shepard, is another story. She's the first GS I've owned and that breed is more sensitive in temperament than other dogs I've had. I raised her, as well as Flyboy from pups and puppies are much easier to introduce to an older dog.

Greta is not happy with having a new dog. I've got crates and doorway gates to separate but would like to get back to normal harmony as quickly as possible. 

Here's the supplements I'm trying, currently:

* L-Theanine: this is said to produce alpha brain waves.

*Homeopathic Rescue Remedy for pets...I put this in their water.

*Valerian Root Tincture....this goes in their food, couple times/day.

To recap, looking for other natural supplements any have used with good results and  calming methods, 

Tips for introducing a new dog. 

Tips for training a dog that lacks ease in handling, walking and living with other animals.

Thanking you in advance,

Michelle

--

I was abandoned by wolves and raised by my parents.

updated by @michelle: 06/12/19 05:10:02PM
michelle
@michelle
9 months ago
256 posts
No one can give me any advice, not one?

--

michelle
@michelle
9 months ago
256 posts
@moonshine

Advice or not, thank you for showing up. I posted this in the subgroup of Animal Empaths hoping, surely, another would lend help to my animal friends and I.

I am an animal empath, wild animals have no fear of me and I have had many wonderful encounters with various species, predators included, birds, reptiles and insects also.

A good many of my pets are and have been throw-aways by people who like the idea of a pet but are not prepared for the responsibility of taking them under your care.

I do have some updates on Bolt, Greta and Flyboy. They are much calmer when home alone with me, only.

When my son first brought Bolt home he felt very dull. What I have picked up from him since then is that he was not permitted to be a dog or engage in dog like behavior. He was never taken on a walk but tied out on a run. Inside, he was crated most of the time. He chewed a good many of his previous owners things up, including 3 pairs of eyeglasses. I have not had any problem with distruction from him as his past behavior was related to boredom and lack of stimulation.

He is a large heavy dog and at 1st, it was impossible for me to walk him without me being hurt and he choking. I purchased a Gentle Lead head collar for him [Greta too] and can now walk all 3 together with a fair amount of ease.

This type of head collar connencts underneath their chin and they are lead as one would lead a horse, with a gentle slight pull to one side or the other....a child could handle a dog this way.

Bolt is an affectionate dog and says he is happy in his new home.

Fly and he play within the limits of Fly's age, I think Bolt knows to be gentle with him. Flyboy has always been accepting of the many animals we have raised,

I had him once go to a wounded Canadian Goose, with a broken wing, so I could capture it and take it to the wildlife center. When Fly approached, the goose lay down and Fly sat with it until I could pick the bird up and take it home. The goose was calm with me and I even let it in house with the other pets. All my animals are expected to get along and they do. Turtles and rabbits have been permitted to roam inside and never has a larger cat or dog hurt any....but I'm getting off track here.

I still have to get Bolt to not chase some of the cats.

Greta, the GS, is ok with Bolt except when food is concerned. I feed Bolt apart from the other 2 for now. But Greta, when I'm eating, starts barking [she's got a loud deep bark] and will sit by me while barking....I guess to keep Bolt away? Bolt doesn't beg for food and is gentle accepting food from my hand...this thing with Greta and me eating is new.

I'd still like to hear from others and their experiences with a multi-pet household. I also love to hear stories of other's animal friends.

--

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
9 months ago
197 posts

My husky use to chase the cats when he was young. I had to show him how much I disapproved of that behavior.  It was in play, but the kittens would get hurt and slobbered on and I didn't want them running through the house. Nikki was trainable in the respect that he's an extremely empathic dog yet he was never fully controllable. He has his own will. He's to much like me. So I gave him room to do what he wanted within limits. He stopped chasing cats after the first time I scolded him. He's been a friend to them all ever since. Even the other dogs we bring in from time to time. Once they understand it's wrong, they stop. It's getting them to understand it. That can be tough. 

It's easy to give dogs mixed messages. Especially when food involved. You can train a dog to bark by giving them food, or train them to be quiet by giving them food. It's all in when they receive the reward. For a dog, food is always a reward, even at feeding time. 

michelle
@michelle
9 months ago
256 posts
Thank you @zacharias

In the past I had a Siberian Husky female, very pretty named, Tara.

Also got a Malamute/German Shepard mix off a biker dude who was going to put him down because the dog lunged after his friend's son. I didn't think this fair as the dog was being teased at the end of a chain. His name was, Bonehead, of all thimgs...geesh!

All current dogs are doing as well as can be expected from having 3 good sized dogs together.

The cat situation is better, with the exception of one, Stevens. She is a tiny cat with a spit fire temperament. I fear more for Bolt than the cat; he'll get his butt handed to him if they ever connect in chaos. He's learning to listen; I tell him no and/or restrain him with my arm across of his chest. She doesn't help matters and messed with a young Greta for a long time until peace reigned, hiding under tables and jumping out at the dog in surprise attacks. She never messed with diplomatic Flyboy. I'll just have to have patientence with her until she accepts Bolt.

I'm still feeding Bolt separate from the others as he is such a pleasure at feeding time, very patient. He didn't grow up with other animals where there may have been food competion. I think I'll continue this because he is a slow eater...last night he entered the clean bowl club.

I feed my dogs raw meat and some chicken neck bones with veggies, cooked organ meats and, salmon oil. Once a week they get a recreational, teeth cleaning joint bone cut to expose the marrow...leg bone are too hard and difficult for the dogs to extract the marrow. I order all meat and bones special from the butcher and they call them the lucky dogs! When they eat this way there is no skin conditions, doggie smell and their poop is more compact and not messy, easy to pick up. Their teeth stay nice too.

I get what you mean about food being a treat. They have to sit and wait until I put the bowl down and say, "Ok," to eat. This firmly establishes me [or son] as the leader. It's really not smart to leave a food bowl full all day as only the leader in a pack would have access to food all day.

Thanks for writing and telling of your experiences, you must love your animals very much.

Any others of the community, please do share your pet stories here, lend advice or, if you wish, you can brag about your animal friends...I'd love to hear about them.

--

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Store

• empath book

Become a Supporter!

Chip in for our monthly hosting fees

$9

Goal: $39