The Chatter is never ending...

To post a reply, login or signup

DevOnEarth
@devonearth
4 years ago
84 posts

I have just started practicing meditation. I use a guided chakra cleansing audio. I find myself thinking every minute it feels like. I silence it but then it starts again without me even realizing it. It is frustrating. Any advice? Will it take me awhile to work through this?

Grateful for your advice,

Devon

updated by @devonearth: 04/23/17 10:14:39AM
Janett Niemi
@janett-niemi
4 years ago
86 posts

We are told that the point of meditation is to create a blank screen in your mind and it is only through this vacuum that the Universe can work. OK, this might be true for some, but it may also be the reason why so many give up. When I first meditated, I tried, didnt succeed, felt I had failed and who wants to be a failure?

The reality is that the mind is ALWAYS thinking, talking, plotting. Once you accept this, your battle is 1/2 over. Yes, there are those who are able to block out the world, but it takes time to learn, so why not try another way of meditating yet still achieve relaxation and clarity?

My favorite way is what I call Story Telling. I initiate all meditations by breathing in deeply, starting with my feet, working upwards, relaxing the muscles and when I feel that I am totally relaxed, I begin my story. I have a secret garden in my mind, a place where only I can access. I enter my garden and allow all my senses to activate-smells, sounds, sights etc. There are several paths ahead of me and I decide on one. As I walk, I hear birds above, see animals around me, all living in harmony and I come to a clearing and sit on a log. Suddenly a man in a long robe appears and hands me a box. What is inside of the box? The first thing that pops into my mind is my gift from my Higher Power. Each time the box and gift varies, and that is what makes it so special. Once I open the box, I allow my meditation to flow. Sometimes I am walking in a meadow with my angels, swimming in the sea with dolphins, or other times I am sitting on a picnic bench with my guides.

If you are in need of guidance, decide what it is that you want upfront and ask your Higher Power to provide help, then count on seeing someone from the other realm to guide you. Next time, take a different path and see where it takes you. Remember, this is your meditation and your life. Relax and live it with Joy and Happiness.

DevOnEarth
@devonearth
4 years ago
84 posts
Wow, I love this. I think I could definitely get into a meditation like that. You called me out too, I just told my husband I feel like I'm already failing so quickly! I would love to find guidance and I've never quite had an experience like that. I really look forward to trying this.Thank you Janett!
Janett Niemi
@janett-niemi
4 years ago
86 posts

Well said. I agree, but I was running out of room to go into the other ways, yet still make an impact. It is interesting to note that meditation is a learned experience and as such, is something that needs to be practiced often to get the full benefit from it. Like you said, just keep practicing and coming back because it is the process and intent that sets the stage towards personal joy.

One of the easiest ways to work up to "mindfulness meditation" is to use an affirmation. Repeat a word or a saying, something that you want to be or to see in your life, while meditating. To live a positive life the mind must be fed positive thoughts, so choose words like, "Excitement, Happiness, Joy, Magic" and use phrases like, "I am filled with the light of God", or simply, "I love myself."

In a hurry, but desperately need to relax? There is what I call a "quickie," where you find some place so as not to be disturbed (a quiet room or even a bathroom and lock the door) sit quietly, block out the world and focus your attention on your breathing. Do this for a few minutes and surprisingly you will find your blood pressure dropping, your respiration rate reduced and stress can be put a bay in a matter of minutes.

This is another easy one to practice, "focused awareness meditation" where you focus all your attention on an object such as a candle, lamp, book while breathing deeply. You can do this lying down, at work just about anywhere. I like to do it when I am out for a walk. I find something in the distance, begin focusing on it and do my breathing exercises. It is interesting at how relaxed or what insights you can get from something so simple.

Then there is "Transcendental Meditation" or TM, often referred to as the "state of consciousness." a form of meditation where the brain relaxes as it transcends into a state of peaceful awareness. The mind falls into a state of inner peace by experiencing the unified field, or a physical area of peace.

As SnakeMedicine said, don't give up on something just because it seems hard at first. The benefits from a mindfulness meditation are enormous, insights that are jaw dropping and relaxation like you have never felt before. Still with that all said, you must do what is comfortable for you and if 'story telling' (known as "mental visualization") works, then by all means keep doing it. Just know that you can do that while still practicing and getting better at other forms.

DevOnEarth
@devonearth
4 years ago
84 posts

You guys have such great responses! I am truly learning so much. I have no intention of giving up! I believe I will improve with time, just maybe not at the rate I would like. :) Thanks to you all and keep the advice coming!

So far I have really enjoyed the story telling/ mindful awareness meditations. I will keep at it and keep trying new things!

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

It's normal to have that problem when you first start or if you don't do it for a while. I'm having that trouble now, too, after being pretty successful with it for a long time. I've just created a special place for meditation that is as much out of the way of distractions as I can get right now. I hope it will help. Some other tricks are:

- after noticing you have become distracted, bring your thoughts back, and consider it a success

- focus on the spaces between the words playing in your head

-begin with visualizing the past gone to the past and the future non-existent...stay in the present moment

-appreciate the present moment. bring joy to the quiet time you have

-sometime is helps to just watch the thoughts instead of fighting them. after a while they will slow down

-try to practice at the same time of day every day

-incorporate some sort of ritual beforehand

-sometimes i burn a candle and think of all my thoughts being burnt in the flames. that one works pretty well

If you keep at it, you will get it. Good luck!

Janett Niemi
@janett-niemi
4 years ago
86 posts

You are welcome.

Lately when I have gone to my secret garden, I have encountered my inner child, the child that has always wanted to do, to have, to be...fill in the blank. We spend time together, walking, talking, being together and this has helped me resolve many of my "hidden" agendas, in the safe, magical environment of my imagination.

Try it and see what magic comes up for you! Wishing you well on your journey....

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book