Getting started in Tarot

To post a reply, login or signup

Sarah
@sarah
3 years ago
386 posts

Over the past few days, I've been feeling a pull to try tarot. I even found a deck I like, that I will buy when I have the funds. I'd like to keep it simple and use it as a tool for self-growth and to help others grow as well. I don't need to try and see the future or anything. I'm not sure where to get started. Any of you who use tarot have any advise on how to start?

updated by @sarah: 03/08/17 01:48:29AM
Gin S
@gin-s
3 years ago
225 posts

Mikayla has given us a good start on this area. If you check out the top two topics in this group they are about tarot as well as the thread Preparing for a Tarot Reading. You might find some help there. Also there are many sites on the internet that explain and teach tarot. Another option is Oracle cards. I use oracle instead of tarot. I find the oracle cards tell you more in the explainationsinstead of having to figure out what the tarot cards are saying.

Some people practice by drawing 3 cards a day for morning, afternoon and evening. Then look at them before bed and see if it makes sense with how your day went.

Good luck

Sarah
@sarah
3 years ago
386 posts

Thanks!

Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
3 years ago
437 posts

Congratulations! I think you will enjoy the journey. When I first started reading I used cards and a pendulum. I admit, I avoided the cards for a while until, like you, I found a deck I liked; and I learned about clearing the cards. It's always good to perform a clearing or blessing before using them - also, a piece of selenite is great for removing unwanted energies.

I have changed reading styles but the cards still help sometimes as a way into the intuitive world (the right brain, loves images and symbols). I don't do future readings as I prefer that by helping people clear blocks and issues, that can help them create a better future. Afterall, the future isn't sitting out there, we have to create it.

When I first started, I felt overwhelmed by trying to learn the meaning of all the cards. I read lots of books and got through the major arcana. But when it came to the minor arana, I just couldn't get inspired. Then I read A Magical Course in Tarot by Michele Morgan and I was hooked. Some people read in a more left brain manner and need specific meanings to cards, and there are lots of books out there. Morgan's book is an intuitive approach, and it's one that works for me.

The best advice I've gotten is to pull one card a day; read the meaning, think about it, meditate on it - and see if there will be some connection to your day. Also as Gin S mentioned, the three card spread is also a great way.

The thing about the cards is that they come with tons of interpretations and it's good to learn some of the meanings. But, in the end the cards are just a tool to open up your intuitive abilities. It's your interpretation that counts. I one time had a great reading from a woman using the Voyager Deck. She had me pull several cards and then picked up each card and started reading. The funny part was that, I knew the meaning of each card but what she was saying had nothing to do with the standard interpretation. But it was a great reading, she was spot on. Many readers will start out with the cards and then eventually read without them. The information is there it's just whatever you use to move into that intuitive state.

Above all, the cards like any other tool, can assist in your growth. You will learn a great deal about yourself.

Sarah
@sarah
3 years ago
386 posts

Pat-Starbridge, that is exactly how I want to use the cards, as an intuitive tool to help get into the subconscious and remove blocks and things like that rather than fortune telling. This is just the kind of thing that I need to hear. I'm going to check out the more right brained intuitive book. I get overwhelmed with the detail oriented left brain stuff. I want to just used my intuition. Thanks!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book