3 years ago
1,185 posts

828_discussions.jpg

updated by @cheshire-cat: 07/13/17 12:33:42AM
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Okay, here she is. I have one other picture of her I can bring out later if needed.

This should be one where the reveal will be really fun.

This one also has a twist, however, which may make it more difficult. It will be interesting, but I know you are up to the challenge. If necessary, I can reveal the twist later on.

So have at it and I hope you enjoy her.

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

You must be in the zone this morning, Julie, because you are on fire! :-)

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Congrats Expath! That was fast. You are very good at this.

Since it has been solved, should I just reveal it , or wait for others to find this thread and let them work on it?

This picture you just put up is one of 3 pictures I had saved to put up. I still have one left of when she is much older.

You and Julie seem to be the only ones who have found the new picture, so I'll let you decide. I really thought this would be a hard one and am amazed at how fast you got it. I guess the twist I was worried about was no obstacle.

I will leave it up at least until tonight to give folks who are at work today a chance to find it and give their opinion.

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Welcome jadeemane.

Very glad you found us. :-)

C. Cat

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

I was thinking how good it was to have someone with such clear skin, free ofshapes and letters etc. A blank canvas. But then I didn't have anywhere to start. :) Looking past her pleasant features, her thin upper lip bothers me. I'm getting a "I know more than you do" vibe. "I have a secret" vibe. I think it has something to do with 'ignoring her prissy upbringing' and doing something which would have been considered unconventional (even outrageous) in her times. Somethingthat women likeHER didn't do???

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

You're all on the right track. I'm very impressed. :-)

C. Cat

P.S. Julie- I think the video for that song won video of the year for 2013, if I remember correctly.

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Ah okay, that's good, because I get this female form/female body thing.

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

I couldn't get the video up but i googled the lyrics and I agree 100%.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mirandalambert/mamasbrokenheart.html

so the question is... what did she do?

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

You guys are doing great bouncing off each other. :-)

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

We are half way through the week so here is my last picture of her, taken when she is older. Maybe this will help some.

Remember at the beginning, I said there was a twist to this one. If I tell you the twist, it will not give anything away, but may help you focus in some way. If any of you would like me to tell you what it is, please post that you want me to tell you. Thanks.

Sorry that you can't see her eyes. I could only find 3 pictures, and the 2nd one that Expath posted was very similar to the first as you can see.

C. Cat

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Hmm. She's a tough one to get thru the mask (even the photo looks like there is o stocking over the camera lens to make it foggy and hide any imperfections?). Perhaps she used her 'sweetness/feminimity' to change opinions?Possibly like sexual revolution, or writing a book about female anantomy, or posing nude for something, or protesting on behalf of inter-racial marriage?She's a contradiction, because she looks like like home made muffins and hand knitted jumpers, but I think she advanced womens rights (or some type of human equality issue)in some way. Quietly, and witha determined minset.

* New York?

* African Americans?

* Anne?

* Marjorie?

* A degree of possibly inherited celebrity? Father or husband?

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Don't worry Spacey. She's a tough one. She's not very forthcoming with information, which could be a clue in itself. That she had to keep secrets? I think we all seem to agreethat shewent against mainstream thinking, and did something that others were too scared to do?

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Okay, Robin, that last comment of yours makes me want to tell you the twist. I really think it may help without actually giving anything away.

I thought this might make it harder and more of a challenge, but you are all doing quite well. Here is the twist: This woman was known by two totally different names. She is well known under her own birth name and under an alias she took on specifically to do what she is known for. Also remember I said this one would be fun.

I hope this will help you also, Space Beaver.

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Hi Shannon,

You're closing in on her......keep going! :-)

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Julie,

There's a good idea in there that relates back to what almost all of you were saying when you first looked at her. :-)

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Beaver and Julie,

You guys are hot, hot, hot!

Do you want me to give you the exact year she did what she did to help you focus? That still won't tell you anything about whatshe did.

Or would you rather figure it out yourself? You've got plenty of time since it's only Wednesday night, and you are really doing well.

C. Cat

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

When Cat said she had two names, I got those tingles you get when you hear a ghost story and know it's true.

Also GOLD. Not solid chunks of gold. But fine lines of real gold. Which could be fabric? Or it could mean she was rich?

Julie you seem to be heading off in the shoulder pad area? I noticed her lack of shoulders in the second photo. Bra pads might have upset the oldies more? idk. Mr. Google is not being helpful with either of those.

She's not smiling behind the smile, if you know what I mean... her eyes aren't laughing...

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Hey guys I found her. The answer is right in front of you.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Robin,

Your got her right, or rather, the alias name she used for what she is famous for. CONGRATS!

Would the rest of you like me to do the reveal now that two people have it, or would you like to go ahead and keep working? You are very close.

My ISP never notifies me of posts from this website until hours or even a day later, so I will check in again before I go to bed about 2 hours from now.

C. Cat

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

^^ To be fair, I feel the need to clarify something I said above about Mr. Google. Sometimes we may be very close, and yet it may be just one word we are getting wrong.

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Good for you Spacey :). Yes. You understand exactly. Everyone makes a contribution, and TOGETHER we solve it! It's amazing really. And we do work really well together :) You can send your name to Cat for confirmation if you like. It's exciting isn't it? :)

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Julie,

Please don't feel bad. You are one of our best people at doing this. I have only done really well on one of them!

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Okay, Thursday is a bit early, but so many of you got it, I think its time to reveal who she is, so be thinking about who wants to go next! :-)

Here is THE REVEAL:

This woman went by her debutante birth name of MARY PHELPS JACOB, and also by a name her 2nd husband suggested after she invented and patented the first bra in 1913, that of CARESSE CROSBY. I thought two names might confuse you, but you all did really well despite it.

All of you got that she was a rebel. She was a real "Bohemian" who did what she pleased, got divorced, and believed in open marriage and open relationships in general. You can read more about how wild she was for her time in the links below.

One night she was getting ready for a fancy party and her corset was sticking out above her dress and poking her causing pain. She asked for two handkerchiefs and some sewing materials and one of the body forms they used for sewing back then (one of you got that also) to put them together and create the first rudimentary bra.

The French claim they invented the bra, hence the French word brassiere, but she was the first one to patent it and free women from corsets, so she gets the credit historically, though I have read recently that corsets are making a comeback! There is loads of info on her by both names, most of it the same, so it doesn't matter which name you look up. The info on Mary Phelps Jacob seems to cover more of her life. I will just list a couple of links that are pretty thorough.

1. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caresse_Crosby

2. inventors.about.com/od/bstartinventions/a/brassiere.htm

3. www.csupomona.edu/~plin/inventors/phelps_jacob.html

Two of those links start out strangely, and are not showing up in color, but I copied them exactly as they showed in the browser. I will check and see if I can fix them. If not, the last one should be enough and you can always Google either name. Sorry. I checked, and both of them are correct and worked when I clicked on them from Google. Confounded computers!

Regardless of how you ladies feel about having to wear bras, which is a whole other subject, I hope you enjoyed this light-hearted break from all the serious people we've been reading lately. You all did a great job too! Thanks for playing.

Cheshire Cat

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Thanks Cat. She was really interesting. The whole time that I thought she was giving us nothing, she was actually giving us heaps. I also got the clues Mary and fire smoke, but forgot to put up. They wouldn't have helped find her anyway. The information on Wiki was mindblowing, altho it takes a while to read. So much of the stuff we got was spot on. There were a few things I felt but wasn'tgame enoughto comment on, under the mistaken impression that private things would not be in the public domain anyway(especially not in those days). hehe. lesson learned :) Anyway thanx for another great experiment Cat.

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

Hey shannon, good hit there, please stick around and join in future experiments. :)

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Robin,

Yes, it does seem like we should put absolutely everything down that we get, since we keep finding out over and over that the one thing we didn't write down was the one that was correct, or at least I sure do have that happen!

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

Hi Space-Beaver,

Your post brings up another point. When you see something how do you interpret it and how do you decide what part is important?

You saw your great grandmother working for a rich family as a dressmaker. Yes, dressmaker is the correct English word, and your English is very good. :-)

The problem comes when we try to interpret that as "this woman must be poor and work as a servant for the rich", which would be the most direct interpretation, and most likely the one I would have mistakenly made.

In reality, she came from a rich family, so if you had written it down the way I would have, you would be looking at correct info, but from the wrong perspective, and would have written it down wrong as a result. I do this all the time, so thank you for the reminder.

Yet another reason to put it ALL down, and maybe we can help each other with interpretation.

C. Cat

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book