Psychic Development Workshop: The Reading Process - Initial Impressions

To post a reply, login or signup

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Note: This discussion thread is part of a series. Find the index for the series here.

At this point, we've discussed the three pillars of psychic ability - body, spirit, and mind - and some waysto develop them. Now, we're going to be applying the things that we've learned to doing readings for other people.

In my last couple of blog entries, I discussed the psychic's toolboxand different ways of structuring a reading. Today, we'reworking with thefirst steps of the process of the psychic reading.

After you establish an intentionand decide on a reading structure, doing a reading is basically four steps:

1. Receiving and interpreting initial impressions
  2. Asking questions that will guide theflow of informationtoward useful answers
  3. Knowing when the reading is over
  4. Communicating the reading results to the readee

Today's Exercise

Today, we're going to work just with the initial impressions stage of the reading process. What I want you to do is to get into your meditative state, do any clearingand groundingthat you need to do, establish your intention, decide on a structure, and then read the question that I have posted below (don't read it until you're actually ready!). Use the reply box to write out your first thoughts about the question. Don't read any of the other responses to the question before you respond. Write only your initial impressions. If you feel yourself starting to search for additional information, trying to figure outthe "why" or "how" of what you're getting, or if you feel your thoughts wandering to other topics, that's your cue to stop and post your response the way it is. I'll provide feedback so that you can understand more about what your intuitionmight have beentrying to tell you. Okay, are you ready? The question is a few lines below.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMVrYl_wZq_9d_KQrr9vq

In my life, what are some of the things that give me the most joy?

updated by @amaya: 07/02/17 12:11:53PM
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Hi Deej,

Nice work! I do like my tarot cards, and I do also get a lot of joy from using my abilities to help people. I don't have any pets - the thought of depriving another sentient creature from being able to exercise its free willis upsetting to me - but I definitely admire "dog-like" qualities in my friends, if that makes sense. Compared with humans, most dogs seem to me to have a very pure view of morality, especially in the areas of love and loyalty, and I appreciate those traits in people too. So, perhaps what you were seeing, especially considering thatthe two images cameso closetogether for you -is that I get joy from friends who are loving and loyal? That would be a BIG true statement for me.

The interpretation part of the reading process is actually the next exercise - the one that I'll write when I can carve out the time (soon!).Figuring out what's literal and what's a metaphor for something else takes a bit (okay, a lot) of practice. You did great at this part!

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Practice makes perfect! I'll try to get the next exercise out by this time next week. In the meantime, try working on some of the meditation exercises in Section 3? It's hard to do too many of those.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Hi Angela! Well done! I do enjoy being able to help others.

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
You are quite welcome, Karina! Thanks for participating in my little experiment here! You did a great job. On to the nextsegment for you... :-)
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Hi Marianne,

Yes, I enjoy helping others! And the beach is one of my favorite places - preferably the white sandy kind... :-) I do enjoy rivers a lot too. In fact, I'm typing this right now from a hotel room a stone's throw from the mouth of the mighty Columbia River. I can see water from every window! Perhaps you picked up on that?

Thanks for taking the time out to participate!

Amaya

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Nope, not pregnant! Although, it's funny how our brains interpret these things (assuming that your thought was indeed about me and not someone else, of course), because when you were tuning into me I was away from home at awork meeting, and I didn't see my daughter for a couple of days. I was missing her and looking forward to seeing her, which is very much like the feeling of being pregnant: that sort of expectation type of feeling. So, depending on what you were getting, it might have been pretty close!

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Yep. Good one! My daughter does give me a lot of joy, when she's not driving me crazy. :-) As far as the doubting thing, that's one of the biggest hurdles, for sure. I recommend trying these exercises for a while, and see if it helps:

2.2 Finding Faith

Exercise 1: Going With Your Gut

Exercise 2: The Walk Sign Game

2.3 Suspending Disbelief

Exercise: Getting From No to Maybe

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
That's great, Chris! I'm glad that you're finding some helpful information here.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Yep. Good stuff. Sounds like you're ready for the next topic!
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Ha! Yep! I was happily thinking of the new bike that I'd like to buy for my brother the next time he comes to visit. Nice job!

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Hi Annmarie, That's great! But yes, you read the question wrong. We're talking about me here. :-) I should hope that psychic ability wouldn't be necessary to answer this question for yourself! :-) Try again?

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

I am indeed joyful in general, so that might be what you're picking up on!

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Ha ha ha! Well... (blushing) Thanks!

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Actually, it's not a given. In fact, it's something of a recent development. :-) I do like water a lot, but I guess I have to, living in this water-logged city. I found out a few years ago that I can't eat gluten, and I haven't had a cinnamon bun since. My daughter really craves them (she can't eat gluten either), but she can eat the gluten-free kind sometimes (I can't). The latest culinary creation that I'm enjoying is gluten-, dairy-, sugar-free homemade energy bars, which is about as close to a cinnamon bun as I can get (and still eat).

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Absolutely! I've been thinking about all of those quite a lot today. Nice work!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hi Sue, and welcome to the workshop! Thanks for your participation here!

Like most folks, peace and love are right up there on my "things I enjoy" list. :-) Animals, not so much. People? Well, it depends... Some days more than others, for sure. :-D

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hi Sue! Based on your response, I think that you might be perceiving two similar things that aremushing together. I absolutely write for a living (reports, though, not anything fun like a novel, alas). I write at an office in a high-rise downtown office building during the weekdays, and also from my home office on evenings and weekends. During the weekday, I can't see any windows whatsoever from my cubicle desk, and it upsets me to be so cut off from nature. However, when I'm writing at home (I was traveling from my downtown office tomyhome while you were writing your response), I have a wall of windows to my left that I love to look out. Perhaps this is what you were picking up on?

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hello and welcome! Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Summer is absolutely my favorite time of year. I love the sun, and we have lots of trees here. Laughter is totally necessary to my mental health (and chocolate too, sometimes). I do like children and dogs in general, but only other people's. :-) My daughter is difficult, and we have neither a dog nor a husband. However, I do have all of those, in a way, among my spirit guides - a child-like spirit, one that appears as a dog, and a main one that played a husband role inone of mypast lives. In another way, these three could also be examples of some of the things I value highly- a childlike attitude about life; loyalty and unconditional love; and loving, supporting, honoring, doing my duty for those in my life. I do love life and I do, on the bad days, remind myself that "this too will pass" (and hopefully soon!).

Sounds like you got some hits there! Thanks for participating!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Yes! It's the window that I love. It looks out onto a beautiful green courtyard with 60+ year old trees. I find it very serene and refreshing, especially in contrast to the sea of beige that surrounds my cubicle at work... :-D I'm glad that you're enjoying the exercises! Keep up the good work!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Ha ha! Wouldn't that be joyful! Yes! I'd love everyone to exist in peace and harmony.

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hi Gracey! I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I do definitely try to appreciate the little, simple things in life.

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hi Leigh,

At this point, the course is completed, so you can jump in anywhere. I do recommend starting at Step 1, of course, because it's important to have that foundation there, but plenty of folks start with whichever lesson looks most interesting in the moment.

I don't spend much time here anymore - too much "life" stuff needing my attention - but I do respond to posts relating to the workshop, so comment all you want!

Love,

Amaya

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Actually, no, at least not in real life. However, metaphorically, I do like both, if that makes sense. I have been noticing with these responses that they seem to be hitting on the things that are going on in my life at the moment, and when you posted this, I was at my new job, my second day. It's definitely going to be an uphill journeyfor me, climbing a metaphorical mountain in a lot of ways, but I'msooo joy-filledto be doing it! My new colleagues are amazing, and I feel very lucky to be having a chance for so much career growth right now. I'm thinking that this msut have been you were picking up on, so well done!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Haha! Yes!! All four of those are at the very top of my joy list. Nice job, and welcome!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Hi Fawhna, and thanks for your reply. I think that what you were picking up on has to do with me feeling a little overwhelmed with responsibilities lately. I have been dreaming of vacation, which is definitely a sort of freedom, so nice job!

Amaya
@amaya
4 years ago
301 posts

Hi Star,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any pets myself, but yesterday I was having a great time with a friend at her house, where they have 2 cats and one small dog. Nicely done!

Amaya

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book