Psychic Development Workshop: Keeping Confidences

To post a reply, login or signup

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Note: This discussion thread is part of a series. Find the index for the series here.

Last week we talked about developing a code of ethics for our psychic work, to combat the natural fears that tend to come up when we first consider that maybe we really are psychic. I suggested that the first item on your list should be: Onlyhelp people that have asked for help.

The second item on your list, in my opinion, should be: Keep all information private that is shared in a psychic exchange. What this means to me is that if someone asks you to do a reading for them, you shouldn't talk with anyone else about it unless the person receiving the reading says it's okay for you to share it, and then only share with the person that they give you permission to share with.

When you're first figuring out that you're psychic, it can be an exhilarating experience, and most likely, you're going to want to talk about your experiences with anyone who will listen (and believe). It's fine to talk about your experiences, but you will want to keep the identity of the person that you're reading for a secret. This means that you shouldn't talk about readings in such a way that the person you read for can be identified by the person you're talking about it to. As an example, let's say that you did a reading for someone here on EC that was delivered via private message. The content of the reading is therefore not public information. Telling someone that isn't a member of EC that you did a reading for "this one guy" and talking about the contents of the reading is probably okay. Telling another EC member might not be okay. You'll have to use your personal discretion in deciding whom to talkwith and how much to share.

Keeping Confidences

This week's exercise is another radical experiment that I hope will get you thinking about this topic, and help you to further develop your personal discretion about discussing other people without their knowledge. If you're a banker, doctor, attorney, psychotherapist, or work in any other profession where you are required to maintain client confidentiality, you can probably skip this week's lesson. If you're not regularly keeping client confidences, what I'd like you to work on this week is simple, but difficult: Don't talk about anyone when they're not there and haven't given you explicit permission to talk about them.

There will be some situations in which this is not practical, so as always, be reasonable about it. In general, though,you'll berefraining fromtalking about the actions, thoughts, behaviors,health conditions, stupid decisions, outstanding successes, and any other non-public information about your spouse, kids, parents, friends, coworkers, and customers in a way that the listener (or any evesdropper) could identify whom you're talking about. For example, let's say that you're on a bus, you're chatting with a friend about "this one guy" that came into your store/office a few days ago, etc and so forth. Keep in mind that the one guy, or someone he knows, could be sitting behind you!

If you feel like sharing, we'd love to hear about how you did with this exercise!

updated by @amaya: 07/02/17 12:11:50PM
Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

Thanks, April! I've been too busy to do much with it lately, but if you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know!

Amaya
@amaya
5 years ago
301 posts

What a great comment! Actually, death and dying is one area in which I, well, pretty much suck. I tend to not have the necessary empathy (I know - ironic) for those left behind, because of a couple of reasons. One is that I've never lost anyone I've been personallyemotionally attachedto, and the other is because of the way I view the world. People are never "dead" to me - I just have to use a different form of communication with them once they've passed on, you know?

It's an excellent topic,and one that I feel utterly unqualified to discuss. EC member Sandy B (a comment from her is above) may be a better person to start with on this one. Sandy, please feel free tochime in? I can also check with my mentor - this is something that she's good with, and she's in the process of writing a bunch of copy for her new website, so she may be willing to prioritize some thoughts on this topic.

That all being said, helping people to cross over to the other side is the same in this life as it is in past lives - if you can develop a talent with one, it's easy to apply the same techiques to the other.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book