Psychic Development Workshop: Archetypes

To post a reply, login or signup

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Note: This discussion thread is part of a series. Find the index for the series here.

Last week, we discussed the importance of learning about symbolism, and brainstormed different methods for learning about symbols.

This week, we're going to look at a particular category of symbols: archetypes. The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols describes archetypes,

After analyzing the dreams of many patients, [the psychologist Carl] Jung concluded that certain images appear as symbols universally and are therefore part of what he called the collective unconscious, built on the cultural experiences and memories of our ancestors. Images of being pursued by a huge monster, of yearning for safety, or of dangers lurking in the dark, are very commonly experienced dreams in all parts of the world.

Jung termed these universal images "archetypes." There is the "anima", or female principle, which can manifest as the goddess, queen, princess, or witch; and an "animus," or male principle, which could be a god, king, prince, wizard, or demon character. These figures symbolize for us our image of male and female and could represent either an aspect of ourselves, a parent, or a loved one.

Other archetypes include the shadow, embodiment of geelings of guilt or fear, particularly about our hidden and unacknowledged feelings or desires.

A huge list of archetypes with examples of each can be found here.

This week, we're going to do the opposite of what I usually advise - we're going to stereotype. We're going to take some famous people, and shove them into one-word categories. I'll put up some pictures, and you tell me the first archetype that springs to your mind for them. It doesn't have to be something from the list noted above, those are just examples to give you some ideas. Put up some photos of your own! Let's have some fun with it.

updated by @amaya: 07/04/17 11:10:17PM
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

554_discussions.jpg?width=200

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
556_discussions.jpg
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
557_discussions.jpg?width=200
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
558_discussions.jpg?width=200
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
559_discussions.jpg?width=200
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
560_discussions.jpg
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

561_discussions.jpg?width=200

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
563_discussions.jpg?width=200
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
564_discussions.jpg?width=200
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
565_discussions.jpg
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
566_discussions.jpg
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Oh, I totally agree!That's what doing readings is like, too. When I meet someone's guides, for example, there's all this information that comes along with them, information that's really beyond words and certainly beyond easy characterization, but I have to somehow explain what I'm seeing in some kind of concise way. That's where this type of exercise can come in handy. If I describe someone's guide as a "trickster type" or a "warrior type", then I know that there's this whole part of the guide's personality that I've been able to convey with just a couple of words.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Ha! For sure!
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

Great! Thanks everyone for playing! In case you don't know, these people are:

Angelina Jolie, in her "Siren" mode

Betty White, the brilliantly funny comedienne

Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft

George Clooney, in what I call his "James Bond" mode

Russell Crowe, in his role in the movie Gladiator

Mandy Patinkin, in his role as Inigo Montoya in the movie the Princess Bride

Marilyn Monroe, in her classic pose

Rita Rudner, another brilliantly funny comedienne

Johnny Depp, in his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in the movie Pirates of the Caribbean

Taylor Swift, country music superstar

Will Farrell, in his headline role in the movie Elf

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
One of the things that makes me such a big fan of her is that she has so many sides to her personality. Other than her "siren" side, which is what I was going for here, she's also a humanitarian, a mother, an award-winning actress, and tattooed action hero. Stereotypingshould behard, in my opinion, because no one really fits into neat categories.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Old?!? How about awesome? :-) And, ironically for our stereotyping efforts here, she never had children.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
I know! Interesting how it's so hard to decide which side of the fence he's on...
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts

:-) I love this character. My thought on this one is that this is your classic "man on a mission".

Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Yes, I put her into the "Aphrodite" archetype camp - those great beauties who weren't really known for anything other than being beautiful. In this case, she was of course more than that, but I think that's how most people think of her.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Ha ha! Yes, she's made lots of money from comedy based onacting likeboth of those! I doubt that she is actually either one, though...
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Bwahahahaha! Nice one, Sandy. :-)
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

The magician!! smart/manifesting mucho wealth

Share This

From Our Sponsors