"The man"

To post a reply, login or signup

Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
So I work in a group home for people with developmental disabilities and I discovered something strange while reading through their case histories. Three out of the eight patients that live in my group home are all diagnosed with "talking to themselves" but when they do this they always claim they are talking to "the man". All three of them say this. And the strangest part is none of them displayed that behavior before moving into this house. I'm a little concerned it may be something more than them talkin to themselves. IF anyone could offer input on this with the limited info I've provided that would be great. I'm not looking for info on the patients, just to specify, I want info on "the man" and unfortunately because of privacy laws I'm very limited in what I can post about the patients. I hope this wasn't too vague.
updated by @emmy-long: 07/27/17 11:06:27PM
Ecila
@ecila
3 years ago
898 posts

My first thought was that it could be an angel looking over these poor people. I agree with araex, I'd try to see what they talk about! They could just be lonely and going into a dissociative state, too.

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
3 years ago
729 posts

You might want to look into the history of the house itself to see what, if anything, may have happened there before it became a group home. And I applaud both you and Araex as I worked in both a group home for two years and a psychiatric facility for about five. It takes a special person to step into these kinds of work environments and maintain your own sanity with all that is constantly going on.

And in the case of the psychiatric center I worked at, it was haunted, on top of dealing with the patients which made it all the more interesting! I can't tell you how many times I wondered just how confused some ofour patients were or were they dealing with an energy that was working on a different level. This was never evil in any way, and in fact because it used to be on the grounds of a stateasylum, it may have also included previous mental health patients, now passed, just trying to help in their own special way.

Thanks for doing what you guys do especially since the pay is anything but fair based on what you are expected to handle and deal with!

Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
I'll have to try that. I work alone at night there when the residents are sleeping and sometimes I swear I don't feel alone. But I'm not very sensitive to picking up spirits so I can never be sure. Next time I catch one of them talking to the man I'll ask then about him. They are all high functioning for being developmentally disabled but I'm still not sure how well they'll be able to express it. Thanks!
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
I'm not sure how to go about looking into the history of the house but I'm definitely interested. Any suggestions? I can't ask my manager as I know she'd dismiss me as crazy. And she already kind of doesn't like me because she's one of those people who are insecure in themselves and tries to hide it. Then somebody like me comes along and can see right through her and she knows it so there's just this weird uncomfortable unspoken thing between us. Is there anywhere I could look or research the house without asking her?And as for the work, I love it!! And I love my patients, or "clients" as were told to call them. The goal of our company is to assist them in what they need while letting them do as much as they can on their own. I can even say how great it feels to see them learn and succeed. And I'm lucky to work in a company where we can also be friends with the clients outside of work. They get so excited when I go out to lunch with them or they get to come to my apartment for a while for a girls night with movies and nail painting. :) it goes beyond a job for me and I absolutely love it. The money isn't anything spectacular, but I'm a college student with no kids and few responsibilities so it's enough for me :) sorry about the random tangent on the thread, haha. I just really do love my job.
Maria
@maria
3 years ago
136 posts

Hi Emmy,

I know you are looking for information on the man but what I have for you is a point of view on the patients. Some years ago, my 2 daughters and I where going to a Dentist who had a contract with a home for disabled individuals. We (my daughters and I) spent quite a bit of time in the waiting room of this Dentist listening and talking to the folks the home would bring to their dental work done. The big thing we picked up on was that many of them spoke about having conversations with unseen people or souls. But unlike you, many of the councillors and caretakers ignored what the residents had to say because of their disabilities. I really believe that it is their disability that allows them to ignore conventional thinking and beliefs and allows them to see and hear what others blind themselves to.

I see Salansar has commented along the same lines right before of me.

Love & Peace ALL

Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
3 years ago
867 posts

You can look at the Recorder of Deeds Office or Tax Assessors Office depending on your area, this is usually found in the Courthouse (Clerk of Courts Area.)

In some states it's online, in other cases it's viewable by going to the Courthouse.

It's public information so you should be able to see the information.

Your local library or historical society may also be able to assist you.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book