Is depersonalization disorder connected to empathy?

eri_ameonna
eri_ameonna
@eri-ameonna
7 months ago
45 posts

I've had a few experiences of depersonalization the past few years, thankfully I hadn't had any recently.

It's like experiencing astral projection while awake. (Not that I know how astral projection feels like, but that's the idea) It is the feeling of being disconnected from your body, that you're somehow a robot, watching yourself go about your life.

It creeped me out so much, thinking that if I go any farther, I may never come back, if that makes sense at all. I noticed this happens when exposed to high stress levels.

Right before an "attack", I feel emotionally numb and burned out, so maybe this is all connected to empathy.

I am also curious if you guys and girls experience this as empaths, would love to hear your thoughts on this Laugh

updated by @eri-ameonna: 12/19/17 06:59:22AM
krosskelt
@krosskelt
7 months ago
55 posts

I've never felt this on my own, but I've read about empaths who have.  Due to it being during stressful times, I've always wondered if it was some kind of defensive mechanism.  Spirit self trying to separate and disassociate with physical self.  

Who is this person I see?

Is it you? Is it me?

Who am I supposed to be?

Do I stay? Do I flee?

Problems seem folded three

Ego stuck to some degree

Body hollow like a tree

Spirit crying "Set me free!"

Cast all doubt into the sea

Without fear we agree

To make One is the key

I am you and you are me

Curious Child
Curious Child
@curious-child
7 months ago
73 posts

I had similar experiences long ago I think. I was burned too back then because of bad treatment from others. Inside I felt like...Lets say "empty, rusty and large oil barrel". Felt like if someone will knock my chest -very loud empty sound will be heard. Back then I felt disconnected from everything and everyone. Could not laugh, cry, fear or become angry. Just completely passive feeling to everything, just existed. But one thing I remember, one feeling...Or was it thought? I felt like I don't belong anywhere.

In my eyes and mind I frequently saw myself from the side, walking, carrying my legs. I could not feel myself from inside, but somehow saw my condition from the side. Every step felt like I am walking in a swamp, now if I think. My body was walking into the shop, but my mind were somewhere else. Someone was talking to me -but I did not understood a thing, also could not remember anything that was said to me. But for some reason I remember and understood well, what people about 5 meters from me were talking. I was close to them, but absent with the person I stood in my physical form. Those was just short moments. Lasted for about 5 minutes, then I felt my body again, but it repeated frequently. More long periods of this was when I was laying or sitting somewhere on bench. It was like I was watching a live stream about my life. Its been many years since this happened to me last time I think. Or maybe it was time when I paid attention at it. I was not afraid of this feeling, I just couldn't scare back then or feel much of anything. But is this similar to what you experienced?

And actuallly I havent thought about it until now. I think I don't want to give away any thoughts yet. But I am interested in this topic now. O_O

updated by @curious-child: 12/19/17 06:49:09PM
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
7 months ago
810 posts

@eri-ameonna:

My empath son dealt with this last year. It scared him and freaked him out. He said it was like having an out of body experience while awake. He felt like he was in a trance and caught between two worlds where he was frozen in time. He is in high school and it was becoming a problem in class. We got him a good selection of protection stones and it hasn't been a problem since. I will say that he was experimenting with astral projecting right before he started having depersonalization problems. So I think he may have turned on the switch for that while projecting. He was seeing some very strange things while astral projecting (like alien creatures). So I had to force him to stop that for his own good. And luckily no problems since.

Anna Strobl
Anna Strobl
@anna-strobl
7 months ago
8 posts

Yes. Often times. Like I'm hovering outside of the situation and my reactions are entirely spontaneous and unplanned. It's as if I'm listening to my own advice. I can also step out of a threatening circumstance and thwart it, and deflect bad energy. 

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book