Empaths and Indulgence

sashacat1995
@sashacat1995
5 months ago
40 posts
Hey Friends,

How do you cope with indulging as an empath. Whether it’s alcohol, smoking, etc. lately I’ve been wanting to stop smoking the green stuff (which is not illegal where I live) because I feel like it’s not really conducive to my journey, but I like it so much, and because it’s not detrimental to my everyday life I find it hard to stop.

What do you suggest? How do you keep away from your own vices?
DanCZ
DanCZ
@dvrat
5 months ago
12 posts

There are two things that come to mind for me.  One is replacing the vice with a virtue of some sort.  Something more positive that I like that I can direct my energy towards.  Building on that then, is establishing those habits that overtake the vices over time.  

It's been a while since I've had the green stuff, but rum and coke definitely was a problem for me.  Now that I've created a situation where I might have some drinks once every couple of weeks or so, it's weird if I have that too often.

igor
igor
@neverquitter
5 months ago
18 posts
That for me has always been coming and going. And its good to share cause i was thinking about this yesterday. I live the plant as well, and sometimes it helps me seeing things clearer and to worry less than we empaths tend to do...but also if i smoke with people i tend to pick up their own vibration thinking its mine...it had me paranoid many times for this...so now i choose better what to smoke and when and how often.. sativa is better for me cause my mind will still be productive, i tend to do it with a minimum of 3 days from each time, in order not to get psychologically missing it or get my body used to it..
But its like @dvrat said once we replace it with a virtue, this energy we focus find its place and it gets better...my simblings dont do any drugs, and dont feel like doing, they both empaths... i wish i could replace effectivelly , im on my way! Take care
Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
5 months ago
114 posts

I've always seen cannabis as both a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It helps me to be able to cope with the world when I need a release from it all, yet if I rely on it, it becomes detrimental. So I go for periods with out it and then I start back up again. Once it's built up in my system I can go for about 40 days without it. I call this my Golden Time. This is when I do most of my spiritual work and reconnect with people. I feel great and I'm more excited about life instead of seeing it as just suffering through it. I've gone a full 100 days before but it wasn't easy. I wish I could just give it up all together, but every time I've tried I end up very depressed. I decided many years ago that I shouldn't drink at all and I don't miss it. That was a very different sort of vice that I relied on when I was out of weed. A poor substitute at best.

A couple years ago I lost a really good job because of a drug test. The ironic thing about it was the cannabis helped me get through the week and continue to do my job. If I was in a state where I could get a medical release it wouldn't have been an issue. If I was judged solely on my merit it wouldn't have been an issue. Started my own business and now it's no longer a consern. 

I use it very sparingly now. Once every three days as a regimen. I want to get to the point where I no longer need it, but I'm not there. I see it like this: Like or not God made pot. He also made stones and crystals and other herbs and plants to help us get to where he wants us to be. It's like a hand rail on a staircase. These things help us stay in balance, but if we lean on that rail to often we'll never get strong enough to run up the staircase. 

Also, I stick to the sativa strains over the indica, but the CBD strains are the best. People don't like it as much because it doesn't get you stoned like the indica does, but that's what I love about it. The medical cannabis industry is moving into canna based CBD because this is where they have seen the most benefit from patients. It is a medication, not a medicine. It treats a symptom, but not the disease. It helps, but it isn't the solution to the problem. For us empaths the problem is a spiritual one, so we need a spiritual solution. We have to rely on our spiritual guides and God to get through this life. Not on the things of the earth. But hey, if it gets through another day without killing yourself, then, ok.

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
5 months ago
754 posts
https://starmanspeaks.com/2015/12/15/my-relationship-with-weed-a-psychic-mediums-take-on-marijuana/
Hi, this discussion reminded me of a link discussing the herb on another thread here, so I thought I’d share.
I like the herb also but since becoming aware of my empathness, I do not indulge as much as I used too....and I definitely don’t do it if I am going to meditate. I used to use it to numb myself, now I use it if I know I’m going to be in a stressful situation because it does numb the sensitivity to outside energy to a certain degree. I will also use it medicinally due to the fact that my digestive system is pretty much jacked up on a daily basis so it helps stimulate my appetite.... if I really get hit with toxic bad energy it can be days before I feel like eating
Blessings
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
5 months ago
1,249 posts

Hi all,

I can't remember where I read it, but I read that empaths are 7 times more likely to be addicts. I am not surprised, given how hard it is to live in this world, especially if you are as sensitive as we are. Lately, it seems to me that sociopathy is almost glorified as a stronger "moral" code, at least on TV shows. It disgusts me. 

I am currently at the one year mark of a long and horribly difficult withdrawal from taking xanax for 33 years for balance problems and muscle spasms due to a serious illness. Way back then, Big Pharma was telling us it was not addictive! Now they know it causes the very things it is supposed to prevent and it also causes dementia. It can also cause brain damage, and unfortunately, tests show I have permanent brain damage. I have about another 10 months to go, though my dose was pretty low and I am almost off, but cuts can never be more than 10% of the remaining dose. It turns out benzos are harder to get off of than heroin. It is so hard to cope w/o any brakes on my nervous system,  that I have isolated myself almost totally, which is very lonely. My spouse has to put up with the w/d symptoms, poor man. I also cannot sleep to the point where it is very dangerous to my health, and that is the most common w/d symptom with benzo drugs. 

I was attending a very radical University in the late 1960's and all my friends smoked weed and dropped acid. I do not believe in making things illegal, since I think it only makes people want them more, and I don't like living in a police state, but I do not see weed as a safe drug either. I saw so many people totally and permanently lose a lot of their ability to remember things, which seriously affected their future lives. I also saw so many people talking endlessly about things they were going to do while high, but never actually doing anything at all. I even saw one friend get scurvy, since weed dramatically depletes vitamin C. In my case, the weight gain was so dramatic that I quit using it almost immediately and endured lots of teasing for avoiding it. 

Natural things can be unsafe too, like cobras, scorpions, foxglove, nightshades, even vitamins used incorrectly, etc. I don't claim to know the answer. I don't see how good, decent people can cope in our degenerating society, let alone those of us who pick up other's emotions and can read B.S. a mile away. I like dvrat's idea of diverting our discomfort into a good habit like an artistic hobby, like music or art or writing or gardening. Notice I did not mention helping others. That is a very worthwhile diversion, but I think most of us are already doing too much of that one and need to take care of ourselves for once! 

This is just my two cents as one of the old fogies on this forum. I am reading all of your answers with interest, since I very much need help with this too. 

wishing you all holiday blessings,

Cheshire Cat

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Long time ago spent lots of years indulging and growing. All drugs are about escapism. Marijuana is a tricky little plant as it helps you believe what ever you want to believe; it helps you justify what you want to believe. Sometimes men have MaryJane in their lives rather then deal with their romantic issues, use as a substitute. Guys that are regular users often grow their hair longer too.

sashacat1995
@sashacat1995
4 months ago
40 posts

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I have read them all and found them both helpful and encouraging.  The problem with me is that I'll make a huge goal like "I'm done smoking for (quite a lot of time)" and then when I fail to make that goal I'm super hard on myself.

I really like the idea of replacing a vice with a virture.  I write a lot, so I think that when I feel like smoking I can just write about why.  What am I escaping from? I also feel the slow withdrawl of the every three days method.  I would start to lengthen the amount of time between smokes until I was hardly thinking of doing it anymore.

Overall, hearing that I'm not the only one with this issue has made me feel a lot better and given me a new resolve to move forward.  I feel less like the universe (and my guides) are judging me when I slip up.  So I'll just push forward and continue to try to be the best I can possibly be until I no longer need it.

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
4 months ago
754 posts
Keep in mind that the Universe and your guides do not judge....that is just a human affliction. Spiritual beings are in unconditional love to where there is no judging, only understanding
Blessings
Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
114 posts

@lastars

Long time ago spent lots of years indulging in my own ego. All egotism is about escapism. Your ego is a tricky little lie as it helps you believe what ever you want to believe; it helps you justify what you want to believe. Sometimes men have ego issues in their lives rather then deal with their romantic issues, use as a substitute. Guys that have big monster trucks often grow their hair longer too.

There, I fixed your post for you. Now it's a little more realistic and not just a stereotypical rant.

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Zachariah, you are out of line. Has your goddess MaryJane insisted you defend her? I was a grower for many years and lived amongst the lifestyle. I wasnt afraid to look and see.

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
114 posts

Nope, your out line with your judgmental platitudes. I'm just pointing it out to you.

Curious Child
Curious Child
@curious-child
4 months ago
22 posts

I was drinking a lot when I was younger. Could just get drunk until I dropped on floor an shut down. But I stopped drinking about 10 years back. I can drink maybe few beers/year nowadays. Also I am chain smoker. I can smoke 5 cigarettes while walking to work (20 min) or whole pack/day when I'm home and I am thinking. Its hard but I usually just think in peace when I can. On breaks and when I am alone. Understanding, looking inward, outward and consequences with reasons release me. And I am smoking while doing that almost every 15 min. Its very unhealthy, but it helps me and I feel constant need. I quit smoking for 3 months or so, but after my latest toxic relationship -I started to smoke again much more often.

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Zacharias, I speak from experience and seeing.

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Lastars:

Zacharias, I speak from experience and seeing.

im sure you wouldn't want to look at this book that speaks of what happens on astral levels and such.

In Place of the Self: How Drugs Work, Ron Dunselman

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
114 posts

@lastars

Since you have so much experience on the subject, maybe you would want to add to the conversation? You could talk about why you were drawn to this marijuana life style you refer too, or tell us what got you away from it and why. Did you grow out your hair cause you were so high you forgot to get it cut? You know, things like that. Tell us all about what your seeing. 

Yeah, I skimmed through that book. It doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Drugs are bad. We got it. As far as what happens on astral levels. Humans do such harm to each other with these emotional games they play. If that changes I no longer need to escape from it. 

@abomination

What your talking about is another empathic trait. Self reflection and examination. We get lost in thought and go inward. We tend to over analyze everything. Quiting nicotine is an extremely difficult thing to do long term. I can say I haven't smoked a cigarette in 4 years, but I still think about it. Good luck on your journey. May times it's about overcoming our desires before they take control of us. It's more of a struggle after they do.

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Zacharias, perhaps the first thing that needs to happen is you need to learn how to read. You are not interested in anything I say anyway.

Youve got it all figured, perhaps you'er the one that should be doing all the explaining.

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
114 posts

@lastars-I'm sorry you don't wish to enlighten us and be a part of the discussion. This is your opportunity to share what you learned from your experiences. Don't you want that? Or would you rather just tell me what I'm doing or not doing that you dislike? @sashacat1995 Has a valid concern here. Most people here are sharing their heart felt struggles in a way that could help others with theirs. That is something worth opening up for. You could be apart of it, or could be the asshole that walks into every room and says "Your wearing white after labor day! I use to wear white after labor day, but now I can see". Nobody wants to hear it. 

Please, I ask you- what happened? You went from stoner/grower to hater in how long? Weeks years? What do have against guys with long hair? Sorry, but that was the weirdest thing you said. I want to know how you came to the conclusion that potheads grow their hair out, and why is that so terrible? You tell us your story and I'll learn to read and write and stuff.

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

Zacharias, you have a lot of veiled nastiness. You have indirectly called me an asshole and put words in my mouth which do not represent me. Perhaps better to look at yourself/actions rather then hunt me.

truth is, I'm busy. Did you ever take that into consideration?

this thread has sat quiet for a while and you have popped in trying to inflame things.

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
114 posts

Your right, I did. It isn't veiled nastiness, it's anger. I couldn't let it go. I should have. So I want to apologize for my rudeness toward you. In fact, I need to thank you. You inadvertently showed me something I still have to work out. Where that anger comes from. Sorry I was triggered, but your words reminded me of all those people from the past that showed me the same attitude I inferred from your post. I let it go. 

Lastars
Lastars
@lastars
4 months ago
113 posts

👍

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book