Can a space affect an empath?

To post a reply, login or signup

Kate Hynes
@k8
4 weeks ago
2 posts

Hi, I am new to this, I think I am an empath, I get headaches (or more like tension in my head) when I'm around certain people and my mood can be deeply affected by others especially by people who are in pain or anxious. I live with family but everytime I come to the apartment we live in, I get depressed, I feel hopeless, like there's no point to anything... I could be doing fine before I get home and then all of a sudden, depressed. Can a space do this? How can I stop this happening?

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
4 weeks ago
272 posts

@k8:

It is less likely to be the space of the apartment itself as someone in a neighboring apartment.

The best solution is always find what works for you.  

Some material for you to get you going...

1. Elise's Empath Survival Program
  2. Donna Eden's Zip Up Technique (at 7:15 in the video)
  3. the Tools for the Empath group 
  4. Light Projector:  http://empathcommunity.eliselebeau.com/trevor-lewis/blog/1711/thriving-as-an-empath-the-light-projector-exercise
      -  "we suffer as empaths when we are only in receptor mode, we thrive as empaths when we step into healer mode".  The technique in this paper is my own favorite for reasons that will be obvious when you go there.  I personally use this technique every day and many of the people I have shared this with have had a lot of success with the exercise contained here.   The main principle here is that it is about reversing the flow so that instead of from-them-to-you it becomes from-Source-through-you-to-them.   Try it every day for a week (preferably multiple times a day) and you WILL feel different! 
  5. Chakras for Empaths http://empathcommunity.eliselebeau.com/trevor-lewis/blog/1915/working-the-chakras-for-empaths

Keep asking for help!

Blessings,

Trevor

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 weeks ago
502 posts

8:

To add to what Trevor said, I find that people radiate the most energy. But sometimes people also leave an energetic imprint on a place that lasts for sometime. I have entered houses where the prior owner had since moved out after their teenager died suddenly and I could pick up on the heaviness and sadness. The same for houses where the prior owners were going through a divorce. And this is also why many people get an uneasy feeling where there has been a murder in a property. It leaves a lasting imprint.

But your headaches are normal for an empath as your mind is reacting to the emotional overload. I also get a heaviness in my chest when dealing with intense energy. It is completely normal for you to take on the emotions of those around you. And as Trevor said, it may be someone in that building and not in the immediate apartment that you are visiting.

When you are a newly realized empath you are receiving an overload of energy. The key is to reduce what you take in to a level that you can handle. A lot of empaths call this lowering the volume. Trevor gave some great links to start with. In them you will learn how to ground out the emotional energy that you take in. And that is very important.

Kate Hynes
@k8
4 weeks ago
2 posts

Cool, thank you so much for your advice. I think it may be that my family has been going through a hard time recently and because of some recent difficulties in my life I no longer have the strength to support them as I might have in the past. I will read and watch what you've provided, thanks!

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 weeks ago
502 posts

And on that note, you may find the people closest to you transfer the strongest low energy to you. It's due to your strong bonds to them. It can seem like a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, your family probably knows you as a good listener and someone who they feel better and have happier moods when you are around. But that energy you take away has to go somewhere, and as an empath you are a sponge. So as you help them feel better, you sponge it up and feel worse. 

This is where grounding comes in. As an empath you have to practice self care and ground out what you take in. Check out those links to learn more. And then feel free to post questions so that we can further help.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
4 weeks ago
726 posts
Hi @k8, welcome to the EC! Another great resource that was not mentioned but is very noteworthy is a book written by our very own @trevor-lewis “Thriving As An Empath”
It is a wonderful book for the newly discovered empath with lots of great tools and advice. Even after one read, it’s a great look back for reference guide. Not one that you would read and just put away.
Blessings
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
4 weeks ago
151 posts

I think I might be a little late to this, but I have had a similar experience in my home. Now I don't know how your home and family is, emotionally, but if they're like mine and don't along, your body can start reacting that way through association with negative events alone. I know that's been the case for me, and I tend to avoid my family, even though the only way to really solve the issue is spending time with my family, its horribly exhausting and I've given up because something happens and then everything falls apart again (My parents aren't happy with each other and that "energy" or anger and deep-rooted unhappiness has passed to the children, so everyone seems miserable, constant yelling and fighting). 

If your family isn't anything like that, you could be picking up emotions from maybe a neighbor or neighboring family who are unhappy. In my experience, things usually stay to rooms, or specific objects, but I've never lived in an apartment to know if I can feel a different families state. 

The last thing I could think of for you is maybe if you're comfortable, when you get home all the stressors from the day "hit" and really take their toll. If that's the case then I've heard grounding techniques work really well (they don't work for me unfortunately, but I still recommend trying them)

There are also physical elements like maybe mildew or something that you could look into, you'd likely be more sensitive to those things as well.

I will be honest, every family has some sort of issues, minor or major, but if that might be the cause for you and you're able to, I'd recommend finding a way to either helping the people you're closest too to calm down, or to find a way to just ease the situation the best you can. If it still continues, hold out til you can find a place of your own, some things are simply bigger than us. When people's ego's come into play, ambition and pride can stop any external factor from really helping, it'll take a personal change in individuals.

Best of luck to you!

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
4 weeks ago
783 posts
Hi....for myself...space always affects me....every house has a history...even the new ones....land has history...and depending on what happened there it can be happy or sad....i always smudge now if I move into a new place to clear the energy of former tenants energy...and also smudge for myself periodically to help me clear my own energy of energy I've picked up during the course of my day etc....if your home feels off to you it may be it and you need a regular dose of smudge to help whatever energy is there to heal....when I first moved into my place I had a spirit in one of my bedrooms...lol....i think he's still there....but I smudge it periodically just so his room and energy remains even....it took awhile to rid my place of the other tenants energy....but I still have to clear the negative energy on a regular basis as I bring it home after I've been dealing with the public....you can also use crystals...place them around the house....selinite is a VERY good crystal to have in each room as they absorb the negative energies and don't require much cleansing....altho they love a good smudge on occasion too....lol...wearing it as a pendant is very helpful too....
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 weeks ago
502 posts

@womanwhowalks:

I agree with you 100%. I built my home on vacant land about 17 years ago in an area that was uninhabited. But we have had a ton of spirit activity over the years. 

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
4 weeks ago
783 posts
Hop Daddy:

@womanwhowalks:

I agree with you 100%. I built my home on vacant land about 17 years ago in an area that was uninhabited. But we have had a ton of spirit activity over the years. 

Lucky you...lol....on not being surrounded by Humans...lol...and I don't think ANY vacant land is empty....lol...I went to a sacred Indian gathering place earlier this year...had to walk a bit to get there...as I was climbing the path I was met by a whole LOT of spirit people....its in the middle of nowhere too...I went with a friend and we were the only 2 there but we were DEFINITELY not alone....lol...
updated by @womanwhowalks: 10/22/17 11:20:23PM
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 weeks ago
502 posts

My area was once a native american summer hunting ground hundreds of years ago. There were tribes that would travel here in the summer and live and hunt for months. So I would imagine there were some deaths and burials nearby. But my family and I never see native spirits. In fact, the vast majority of spirits that pass through our home are wearing  modern clothing from the past 1-2 decades. We rarely see the same spirit twice and I am starting to wonder if we have some sort of portal nearby that is bringing these spirits in. But that's a whole other story. 

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book