Projecting Emotions

To post a reply, login or signup

lightstorm
@lightstorm
3 months ago
12 posts
So I've come along quite a ways in the last 5 months or so since I've become aware of my empath self. I still have much to learn. One ability I've discovered but haven't developed much is projecting emotions. It takes a lot of concentration and energy for me and I always end up exhausted even after just one emotion projection (changing one person's emotion). I remember the day of the eclipse my powers were amplified and I projected to a whole crowd of people. That was interesting. But any way, I wanted to ask for help and advice. #1 how can I continue to practice this/what are the best methods? #2 are there other abilities often associated with this one? #3 (and slightly off topic) I've now developed to the point that I automatically turn off my powers and it can stay like that for days and i don't even think about them, then I have to manually turn and KEEP them on again, which always ends up tiring me.
updated by @lightstorm: 09/07/17 08:56:49AM
krosskelt
@krosskelt
3 months ago
32 posts
There is a fine line between what might be ethical or appropriate when pushing emotions. We have felt people do it and know how it can feel. Transmuting negative to positive can be one thing. Pushing an emotion on somebody usually only lasts until they realize it is not theirs.
Let us say it is love and lust you push. Any relationship formed from that point will have a high risk of failure, because that person wasn't allowed to form those emotions about you on their own. Eventually they will question that emotion, and may decide they never felt that way on their own. I've dealt with a few strong projectors, a few I suspected even had a vague idea of what they were actually doing. Most had no clue they were projecting so strongly.
I don't want to discourage you in experimenting, I've done my fair share. Just be sure you also take into account the long term. I'm sure there is a Stan Lee quote I could throw in here. Just think about what you would want if somebody had that influence over you. For me, sometimes, I would rather people keep most of their emotions and let me have my own. Everybody likes sharing joy, and unfortunately sadness is supposed to be shared (don't go pushing it though of course), and others I don't mind sharing. I just don't enjoy them being pushed.
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
3 months ago
783 posts
Hi...from my point of view ppl are ALWAYS projecting emotions....it surrounds ppl...i pick up emotions that are not mine all the time...so why you'd want to do it on purpose is confusing....people have the right to their emotions and to feel them as themselves...i have that right too...i spend most of my time trying to get AWAY from other peoples emotions...so please think before you do project..there may be someone in the crowd who is sensitive to that and having trouble....also when I DO feel like I'm being messed with I would have to take steps to block you...as I would feel it's against my will and without my permission....why should you want to project onto others?...
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
3 months ago
726 posts
I agree with @womanwhowalks....why do you want to do this? I understand being a newbie to all of this and experimenting but we have to always be considerate of others. For me, on occasion it just happens inadvertently, mostly when I am angry....which is not a good thing to project. I didnt even know I do this until my husband brought it to my attention. Now I try my best NOT to infringe this on others. We are conduits of energy so as easily as we take in we can also put out. Reiki teaches to only do this with other's permission, anything else is unethical. We have been given a gift, we have to use it wisely.
Blessings
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
3 months ago
273 posts

In four years on here I can't remember seeing anybody taking about themselves projecting emotions onto other people. I have to agree that, at least for myself, I would consider such an action inappropriate (and, yes, bordering on unethical).

Protecting yourself from their emotions is fine.

Sending them positive energy WITH THEIR PERMISSION is fine.

Sending them positive energy PASSIVELY without their permission (just by being around them) is fine.

Actively working on them in any way without their permission as, at the very least, highly suspect. The analogy I have used in the past is: How would you feel if a friend of yours let themselves into your house and started cleaning and tidying your home without your knowledge or permission?

Blessings

Trevor

updated by @trevor-lewis: 09/07/17 06:02:49AM
krosskelt
@krosskelt
3 months ago
32 posts

Womanwhowalks said that we all project, and I would have to agree.  It is something that is natural and is used for communication.  

Projecting to me is allowing your emotions to surround you, people can take it or not.  Some people can bundle all their emotions and pack them away fairly tidy.  These people, it is difficult to tell their true emotions, either they are blank or only showing what they want you to see.  Other people it just flows out around them and surrounds them like a gas, to me these are projectors in the general sense.  Then there are people who actively attempt to push and change your emotions to match their's, some knowingly and others semi-accidental.  

The definition, to me, between projecting and pushing are important.  A speaker, salesman, healers, and many others project and that is okay.  They put emotions out there and hope that you pick up on them.  When those same people try and push those emotions on you though....it usually don't take.  It makes you feel dirty and one tends to feel the opposite of what was intended.  Somebody projecting trust you can take it or leave it, somebody pushing trust makes you question why they push it so bad.  

I can think of very few situations where pushing would be an acceptable practice.  I cared for individuals with mental and physical disabilities for almost 10 years.  I had one person I cared for that had H Pylori, he was unable to communicate other than a few words or phrases.  When he was having a flair up, he would scream for days, self harm, and just run himself and the staff to their limits.  I would push calm, not project because he was in no situation to pick up on it.  They had a restraint procedure, but I didn't use it.  I was able to keep him pushed down to a level where he could eat small amounts and maybe even rest for short periods.  If one is in pain or hysteria of some type, I feel it is okay to push at that point to calm them.  Not many other situations do I see pushing appropriate.  

Projecting yes, project away.  Let your light shine, just don't go burning people with the flame.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
3 months ago
273 posts

@krosskelt good post. Let me add to mine:

If someone is unable to grant permission to receive energy (due to age, competency, coma, etc), I was taught that you should ask the caregiver/parent for permission. Under emergency situation, do what ever it is you are guided to do.

krosskelt
@krosskelt
3 months ago
32 posts

@Zen-angel  I didn't feel that saying "NO! You're bad! Get back in the corner!" was appropriate for a newly discovered empath.  I felt that maybe letting them know the difference between letting emotions roll out from you, and pushing them onto somebody, was a good idea.  I feel that maybe a lot of people don't know how to control, what I call, projecting.  I feel that pushing emotions is wrong in most cases, and believe that I said that without scolding.  

I don't see an ethical issue with allowing your emotions to flow around you.  Some empaths have even been able to shield themselves without expending the energy to actively shield.  Just by letting there own emotions fill the space around them.  Most people that are not as sensitive as us have no understanding of how their emotions affects themselves, let alone how to control them from flowing out.  I do believe that everybody, sensitives or not can learn to recognize when they are pushing their emotions though.  

I understand free will VERY well.  I have been in the fight with sense of self for well over 25years.  Emotions effect me, and I had to learn to be able to sort through and determine what was me and what was somebody else.  I don't blame people for feeling, I don't blame them for allowing their sadness, joy, pain, or whatever to flow out.  I do blame them when they pushed that on me however.  I understand that even positive emotions can have a negative effect on some, but I am not going to let that keep me from letting my positive emotions flow out around me.  That is their issue and not mine.  

My wife likes me to wear a certain cologne.  Not everybody is going to like that scent. It makes me feel good, because I can feel that little added bit of desire or whatever from my wife.  Other peoples problems with the cologne is not going to stop me from wearing it.  Yes if it was to cause a problem with somebody I had to be around all day, I would not wear it during those times.  In that situation it would be up to the other person to inform me that it bothers them so I could reign it in.  

I feel like we are in agreement, but our communication styles are not compatible.  

krosskelt
@krosskelt
3 months ago
32 posts

@Zen-angel  No I think it is good to hear how strongly some feel about this topic.  When I was just starting out, I mentioned here one time that when I was down how I liked to be around people that were up and full of energy and joy.  I said something that suggested maybe I was soaking up or taking their energy.  Others spoke up about how unethical it is to take ones energy unless you asked them to share it with you.  It made me think about a lot of stuff.  I have read through several of your posts and replies and think you always have a good addition to the community or conversation.  I'm a warrior empath though, stand up for the little guy and what not.  Also I didn't have a group or other sensitives with experience to help me on my path from 14-35, and had to learn, experiment, and learned to "control" my empathy on my own, so I encourage a more natural and free approach to letting one work out what works for them and what they are capable of.  

Your point of view is valid and valued, I have just experienced things differently which makes me approach it differently.  Like I said, I believe we are in agreement, just comes through for each of us based on how we have seen and dealt with it.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
3 months ago
783 posts
Another thing to think about before you decide to project...is what your actually doing to yourself....you say you've been projecting to groups of people and feeling exhausted after....well...what your doing is linking your own energy to all those people and TRANFERING your own energy to them in order to impose your will on to them to change their emotions to match yours....your actually GIVING away your own energy...thats a lot of your own energy wasted to do this...and that's why your tired after....also you put yourself into a position where you yourself could unintentionally link yourself to a narcissist...psychopath etc....and not know it therefore have your own energy compromised by your actions and connect to someone who will continue to drain you unknown to you....so...have you cleared your own energy of all those people you've projected to?....made sure you haven't connected to someone stronger than you who could drain you?....if you keep projecting on such a large scale you could make yourself sick...etc...you need to consider all the dangers your placing yourself in by projecting too and ask yourself is it worth the risk in order to control others?....just things to think about...
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
3 months ago
783 posts
Trevor Lewis:

In four years on here I can't remember seeing anybody taking about themselves projecting emotions onto other people. I have to agree that, at least for myself, I would consider such an action inappropriate (and, yes, bordering on unethical).

Protecting yourself from their emotions is fine.

Sending them positive energy WITH THEIR PERMISSION is fine.

Sending them positive energy PASSIVELY without their permission (just by being around them) is fine.

Actively working on them in any way without their permission as, at the very least, highly suspect. The analogy I have used in the past is: How would you feel if a friend of yours let themselves into your house and started cleaning and tidying your home without your knowledge or permission?

Blessings

Trevor

Ummmmm.....actually....if someone let themselves into my house to clean it I REALLY wouldn't object Trevor....lol....i'd consider that a gift!....lol....
lightstorm
@lightstorm
3 months ago
12 posts
Interesting thoughts and comments. Didn't expect such a wide range of attitudes and responses. I find it almost humorous that the majority just assumed that I have been/will use this unethically xD Whereas basically all I've used it for so far is to calm people down- both family members and clients at work (angry customers). In a way it becomes one of my defense mechanisms because it then lowers the negative emotions that I absorb from those people. And in my experience I'm not FORCING anyone to do or feel any certain way. Some people aren't even responsive to my projection (more like an emotional suggestion than anything in my opinion), which I haven't quite figured out why yet. Maybe a greater will?
If anything I found this discussion amusing so far.
lightstorm
@lightstorm
3 months ago
12 posts
By the way, @zen-angel. Thanks for calling me a narc. That was really great. I've had too much experience with those in my life. But you did bring up a good point to not cross a line. I do appreciate that advice.
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
3 months ago
783 posts
Well...the way you explained it it sounded like you were actively seeking how to project better...which activated the panic in most of us....so...it's ok to know how it's dun to be able to tell if it's being done to you....but for most healers it's unethical even when your scared or over whelmed by too much negative energy....simply removing yourself as soon as you can...ground and rest to rebalance is all you need to do....just be careful if you insist on projecting that it has more risked than you need....
updated by @womanwhowalks: 09/07/17 03:48:58PM
HeatherElizah
@heatherelizah
2 months ago
7 posts

I am going to jump on the train here and offer my own opinion, and it is just that, an opinion to be taken or left. I think that we as empaths do have an ethical responsibility as to how we use the gift, and I think that means being mindful of intention when we engage in any behavior. If the intent is questionable, if there is a possibility that "innocent" (unaware/non-consenting) individuals could be negatively affected, especially if it is a person or people who have not approached us for "help". So, I personally, would be really wary of honing the skill of projecting emotion unless you are absolutely clear on what your genuine intent is, and even then, not knowing what the consequences could be for other people, if it is something that you are just set on working on, I would ask family members or friends to be the guinea pigs, with full disclosure that you are not sure of the potential outcome. That is just my opinion.

Snap
@snap
2 months ago
103 posts

krosskelt:

@Zen-angel  No I think it is good to hear how strongly some feel about this topic.  When I was just starting out, I mentioned here one time that when I was down how I liked to be around people that were up and full of energy and joy ...

@krosskelt  Great posts. From your reference to transmutation, I wonder if you're familiar with Hermeticism and/or alchemy?

I think a point of confusion is that we are not all, fundamentally, completely and clearly separate from one another. In fact, our energy overlaps and in Hermetics, it is held to have an entirely common source.

"Projection" is, to me, a matter of degree and intent. And I think this comes through in the discussion. If I am in a great mood and emanate that, it may influence someone positively. That's great. If I'm in a bad mood and emanate that, it may influence someone negatively (my dogs are great at letting me know if this is happening). In my experience, some people emanate energy a lot. Others are adept at 'controlling' or 'containing' it. Sometimes that's fine and seems balanced, some people I can sense 'cut off' life force to some extent because they are 'holding too much in'. Whether to a healthy or unhealthy extent, I don't sense much from such people, at all; though curiously, people who cut off life force can actually make me feel a bit on the suffocated side (by analogy, I mean suffocated of vital energy).

Do those who emanate project? I think it's a matter of degree plus intent. If there's a clear intent to emanate energy/mood/state to influence another, this can be called projection. If you emanate energy without intending it to influence others, things are not so clear. Sometimes, it can still be negligent and not cool to do. Other times, it can be very natural and positive, particularly if you're in tune with others and respectful of reactions.

I have had someone intentionally project some awful crap on me, and it was not remotely cool. But in hermeticism, people talk about inducing states in others, and it is not regarded as intrinsically wrong. This is because it depends on what you intend. As with any physical action, the intent can be beneficent or maleficent.

Great thread.

updated by @snap: 09/12/17 12:49:42AM
Snap
@snap
2 months ago
103 posts

lightstorm:I find it almost humorous that the majority just assumed that I have been/will use this unethically xD Whereas basically all I've used it for so far is to calm people down- both family members and clients at work (angry customers).

Yes I completely agree with you. I think the trouble is the word "projection" has become loaded. As above, I prefer to speak of emanating emotions/states/energies. If we emanate energy with beneficent intent and respect for others, it is scarcely an issue.

What's more, a closely related topic is shared states and shared energies. I personally think that musical performers are adept at whipping up a storm; working with others who want to go into a certain state. This can also be perfectly beneficent, but also maleficent or prone to abuse.

krosskelt
@krosskelt
2 months ago
32 posts

@snap Yes I have read some on Hermeticism, in my early twenties.  I was trying to fill a hole I had with religion.  I don't remember much, most of my current beliefs are pieces from many of my studies that rang true in higher self.  I found that no one religion rings true to me on it's own.  

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book