Does trauma enhance our abilities?

To post a reply, login or signup

Zacharias
@zacharias
5 months ago
85 posts

I can tell many of you have had very hard lives. I've heard the stories. Ones I won't repeat. The horror of humanity I know full well. 

I assumed I never became a serial killer because I was an empath. I fit the profile otherwise. Now I'm thinking the things I went through could have served to enhance my abilities. It's hard not to believe I was born this way since half my family show empathic traits, and a few of us know we are. My cousins are drug addicts and alcoholics(myself included). They are able to drown it out and learn to survive without ever being aware of what they are. I was never able too. I knew what people were thinking. Many times it keep me from being molested or otherwise injured by those out to get me. So empathy started early. Was it the trauma that made me more aware? Can you relate?

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
5 months ago
273 posts

short answer - YES!

longer answer: well you already know the longer answer. You've heard the stories.  Most of us developed our abilities as a survival mechanism.  Those of us that have taken a spiritual path through life have strengthened those abilities through practices like meditation and breath work which have deepened our sensitivities along the way. Actually, there is a documented correlation between psychic abilities and childhood abuse. I think I remember that Elise has written about that (it might even have been part of her doctorate thesis). Certainly, you will find articles on the Web if you google the connection.

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
5 months ago
507 posts

@zacharias:

As @trevor-lewis said, trauma is often the launch point for empaths to awaken. Not always, but often. But when you ask around it is often the common denominator. I do think that some of us are born with the ability to be empaths. And then for some reason it just switches on. But for quite a few it switches on following trauma.

Piscean225
@piscean225
5 months ago
10 posts

YES! It was only after a traumatic event that left me with PTSD that I started to awaken.  I feel like it took that event for me to "break open".

AlexisW
@alexisw
4 months ago
14 posts

I was born with the ability like @hop-daddy said, but every traumatic event you go through it makes it stronger or easier to control. (For me anyway) Some events may make it hard to accept/tone down on what you are feeling. 

RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
4 months ago
110 posts

Of course trauma enhances our abilities...if not it makes up a lot more alert or in my case a lot more alert and at time completely oblivious of what is going around me such as tripping over a crack in the sidewalk.

Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
85 posts

Your talking about hyper alertness. Many of my friends are Vietnam vets(those that saw action). We have a kinship they don't understand. They assume I was in the military, and are very surprised when they find out I wasn't. It happens over and over. One guy, talking about the war over lunch, thought I was actually in Vietnam. He asked where I was stationed. Dude, I was born in '71.

@trevor-lewis - I'm reading your book

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
4 months ago
273 posts

@zacharias: cool, dude. Hope you enjoy!

TigerLily
@tigerlily
4 months ago
309 posts
Yes. I always had this, but not to the level as now. I was diagnosed with PTSD, refused anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. I learned exercise and nature and a diet to help me. Otherwise, I'd be an alcoholic. The really hard days I drink, when I'm just to emotionally drained to push myself to exercise. After a night of drinks, I feel recharged. The nights I drink when I feel great and not emotionally drained, wow hangover! It's weird right?

I think the trauma just makes us more sensitive instead of desensitized. Like wakes us up.
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
85 posts

@tigerlily I understand why you drink. I did for time, but never liked it. Cannabis on the other hand was necessary. I could never use the anti-anxiety drugs because I don't trust myself. If my emotions were taken away I wouldn't have any way of stopping myself from doing those things that I never want to allow myself to do. So cannabis was my only option and did get through the rough patches. I stay away from it now hoping I'll learn better ways of dealing with it all. I see so many that thrive as empaths. I want to be one of them. I know it takes suffering to get there, but I've found that isn't necessary. I was resisting for so long that when I stopped I found that it was the resistance that caused my pain. 

That sensitivity to others gets stronger every year. The sensitivity to pain gets weaker. 

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book