Opinions on Medicine and Herbal Remedies

To post a reply, login or signup

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
7 months ago
151 posts

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I have a question for any and all who read this, all opinions are welcome to respond; What are your opinions on Medication (anything from ADHD/ADD medicine to Antibiotics) and what are your opinions on Herbal remedies (teas, things like that)...

I know that personally, I prefer to use Herbal Remedies unless I need medicine (if something stays longer than a few days or if I know something needs medical attention like deep cuts or something obvious). Personally I have always had bad reactions to most medicine, or it just makes me feel wrong. I love modern medicine, I just hate how much we depend on it, or are expected to depend on it... I was wondering if any other Empaths have had similar responses?

Like I said, I'm not against medicine, I just feel like all the chemicals are horrible for  our bodies so I avoid them whenever possible, and I've had less doctor visits since I've gotten into herbal remedies and treating things naturally... And if you are into Herbal remedies and know any good books or resources I would love if you shared! Thank you and looking forward to comments!

updated by @loconnoro: 10/01/17 06:29:00AM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
7 months ago
728 posts
Hi @loconnoro,
I agree with you on the chemicals. No offense to any in the medical field, but I feel that it's all about keeping you coming back and using more drugs when it comes to traditional doctors (they do get money and perks from pushing certain medications). Since I have gotten more into homeopathic medicine I rarely go to the doctor. I have found what is grown in nature can cure a lot of what ails you. Some of my favorites are garlic, echinacea, and good old cider vinegar. Next time you have heartburn, a shot of cider vinegar mixed in a little water works wonders....I know it sounds counter productive, but it works. Garlic is a good antiseptic and lowers colesterol. Echinacea is great for knocking out colds and boosts your immune system in general. As far as books, "The Herbal Drugstore" and "The Complete Book of Herbs" are good ones. The second one has pictures and shows growing, drying, etc.
Blessings
JoniG
@jonig
7 months ago
33 posts

I'm glad you asked this question! I stay away from all meds as much as possible because of my body's reaction to most of them. I even had abdominal surgery once and requested only Tylenol after because as I told the nursing staff, I would rather deal with pain than my mind going in a million uncontrollable directions!! My reactions to medicines and even herbs can be intense & opposite of most peoples. I have panic attacks & am reluctant to experiment with anything ingested because I can't control how I respond & then, I feel stuck inside of my body & racing head......

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
7 months ago
151 posts

@cat-whisperer Thank you for the suggestions! and same here, I don't like how most doctors nowadays take a "prescribe medicine now and figure out the cause if they come back later" approach. It's funny because right now I'm on my way to become a nurse though lol..

@jonig  I'm the same way, I don't take any medicine because it gives me awful anxiety, it leaves me stuck in my head, or sometimes it makes me feel like I've lost all connection with the outerworld. I can't feel vibes and things when I take certain medicines... it's odd...

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
7 months ago
509 posts

@loconnoro:

I had good luck switching to a naturopath years ago. And they seem to have an herbal remedy for just about everything. They have given me some good recommendations for herbal supplements that have been really effective for anxiety and sleep issues that I have.

One product that I take and enjoy is called Deproloft. It's an herbal blend that helps "get your mind right". It lessens my anxiety and depression and keeps my moods even. You can find it on Amazon.

JoniG
@jonig
7 months ago
33 posts
I totally understand that feeling of being cut off! Pot did that to me & now even a bad head cold can do that...ugh! Do you think all people feel that connection? I know we feel more but, do you think most people feel like they're in their own heads & bodies, not everyones? I "changed places" with a guy I was with once...it was an experiment..we tried to inhabit each others space instead of our own for a minute. It sounds weird I'm sure but, it was VERY eye opening for us! He couldn't believe how much I felt & I couldn't believe how isolated I could feel was his reality! This was way before I had heard the term empath. It was kinda scary to me to think that other people felt that way naturally, it was so very different than what I perceived as normal/natural. In light of this conversation, it makes me wonder if most people felt (or rather, don't feel 😉) like him?!!! It's a very interesting concept. I'm not quite sure how to find the answer? How do you compare something like that?!! Wow!!!
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
7 months ago
151 posts

I am definitely going to look into that thank you very much @hop-daddy

@jonig

I have had this discussion with some people when I was first discovering I was an empath a year ago, and about half the people I would talk to about it didn't even feel vibes... I know for me, feeling someone enter a room and feeling their presence is extremely important and I never realized I literally depend on it in social interactions... I get horrible anxiety when I lose it. That's really interesting tho! I noticed the more I talk with people and find people who at least understand and have experienced vibes, they feel a little different and I believe I am slowly finding the difference... I just know how closed off I feel when I don't feel other people and other things, like a room or especially nature... And I've been noticing that people who don't feel other people also don't go that deep in conversations, it's extremely hard to converse with them because it's just so much small talk... You should totally start a conversation or Discussion on feeling other people and open this up to a bunch of people, it's an extremely interesting thing to think on and process.

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
7 months ago
108 posts

I will always look for a natural remedy before any Rx. I also have had success in lessening anxiety using energy medicine.  I am glad we have vaccinations and X-rays and all of that, no question, but I do think there are a lot of amazing natural remedies out there that would help people so much if they were open to it.

Nea
@nea
6 months ago
201 posts

I agree that it is unfortunate that we sometimes have to resort to using medicines because we can't find another way. Sometime the support we get with the medical expertise is the most important part rather then the medication itself. It can be really scary to be sick or need special treatments and help. As some one that only last year stopped using ssri's after 3 years of using them, I think for me it was necessary to go through it, but I always knew it was temporary and that to get better I had to eventually get off them. For me, they were a crutch I needed, because I knew of no other way to get better.

Not to say that I don't love natural remedies and always look for them. I think being careful what we eat and how we live is the most important natural remedy! Even the doctors say that eating and sleeping well and taking care of your stress levels is a big part of getting better. Ofcourse all this varies depending on what kind of physical problem one might have - and knowledge aswell as intuition is important to listen to.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
6 months ago
1,185 posts

@hop-daddy,

Thanks for the mention of Deproloft......I will check that out since I have been overwhelmed by both anxiety and depression lately. I've found Seriphos to be a great help in getting some sleep, as well as lithium orotate, L-tryptophan, theanine, and melatonin. 

Everyone,

Before I knew about Naturopathy, I got very sick, was misdiagnosed twice and for a very long time and was put on a lot of drugs, a few of which I am still on today, and at least 3 of them are saving my life, though I wish I could get off them.

I am going through withdrawal right now from a drug more addictive than heroin that I've been on for 33 years for muscle spasms. I am at the point where the side effects outweigh the benefits. It has now been proven to cause dementia and I am having serious memory problems, which have already improved since I've been in withdrawal for a little over 5 months. It will take at least another year to complete, and withdrawal symptoms could go on for years, which seems almost unbearable, so I just take it a day at a time. It is getting harder and harder as the doses get lower.

As an empath, I am amazed by how much emotional pain this drug was suppressing that is now coming out into the open. I had no idea I even felt some of the things I am feeling. Even though the drug is usually given for anxiety, I was put on it to stop muscle spasms that were throwing me off my feet, and I had no anxiety back then. I have plenty now that I'm trying to get off of it! It has covered up a lot of anxiety over the past 3 decades of my illness without my even being aware of it. The drug is Xanax, in case anyone is interested. Please avoid it and any other benzodiazepines at all costs! They are not worth the price you'll pay. 

I studied Naturopathy for over 2 yrs. but did not finish the course once I found it was illegal to practice in my state. I try to use natural things now whenever possible and wish I had known about them way back in 1986 when I got sick. However, I do want to add the caveat that sometimes you may simply be so ill that conventional strength drugs are needed even if they only control the symptoms, because the symptoms would kill you, which is the case for me. I would have been dead long ago if not for a couple of the drugs I take, despite some of the side effects being undesirable. I've already lived past my projected maximum life span by quite a few years, and there simply are no natural alternatives for some of my symptoms. I wish there were. It's not all black and white.

I think PREVENTION is where emphasis should be, since once you have something, it seems to take much stronger measures to overcome it. Natural remedies are excellent at prevention and early intervention.

Cheshire Cat

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
6 months ago
509 posts

@cheshire-cat:

As an added plug for Deproloft, my teenage son recently went through a couple months of worsening depression and anxiety. He is also an empath. We were going to take him to a doctor but I am not a fan of anti-depressants (especially for empaths). And I decided to put him on two Deproloft tablets a day since it has worked so well for me. They say it takes about 3 weeks to really start working. But it made a big difference for him in about half that time. He is now back to normal and continues to take it daily.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
6 months ago
1,185 posts

@hop-daddy,

Unfortunately, there are several things in Deproloft that I can't take. Like most Lyme patients, I have tons of allergies, and I also have high blood pressure problems with 5-HTP, which is not that uncommon since it's a vasoconstrictor, so I take high dose L-tryptophan instead. I am really glad it helped your son though! :-)

C. C at

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
6 months ago
509 posts

Have you tried Rhodiola? Also, this product looks similar to Deproloft without the 5-HTP: Thorne Research - Stress B-Complex

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
6 months ago
1,185 posts

@hop-daddy,

Rhodiola raises my high blood pressure a lot. So do all other adaptogens. I am not allowed to take B Complex due to having had vitamin B 6 toxicity Neuropathy, the worst pain I've ever experienced and took almost a year to resolve. I also cannot take it during my drug withdrawal, since it is energizing. I must take methyl folate and methyl B12 SL however, since I have two MTHFR gene mutations. (I studied to be a Naturopath for 2 1/2 yrs.) I miss B Complex since it did help my depression. I also miss coffee for the same reason, but it is a total no-no during withdrawal from benzodiazepine drugs. 

People often don't realize that natural does not necessarily mean safe. Cobras and crocodiles are natural, lol. I almost killed myself accidentally once when I decided to treat my Lyme Disease and my prediabetes, and kill two birds with one stone by using Berberine, which is excellent for both, but forgot to look up whether it is metabolized by the Cytochrome P-450 pathway, which is too slow in those with Lyme, Fibromyalgia, CFS, etc. It turned out it does use that pathway, and my pulse went down to 40 and stayed there for 3 days after only one low dose! Not good at all. 5-HTP caused me to have to wear a heart monitor for a whole month, as it raised my blood pressure so high, I had constant paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia every time I stood up! That was a nightmare. Strangely enough, L-tryptophan does not cause the same problems, and that is across the board, not just me. 

Thanks for the helpful ideas. I am very glad they panned out for you and your son. I just want people to be sure do their homework first, since some natural medicines are as strong as drugs, with Berberine being a good example. All of the Ginsengs can produce high blood pressure after about ten days of use, even the Siberian type, a so-called adaptogen. (Ref. Balch & Balch, "Prescription For Nutritional Healing", my favorite textbook.) :-)

C. Cat

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
6 months ago
509 posts

@cheshire-cat:

I am sorry for your health state. You have a lot of things you have to be careful about taking. I hope things improve for your health.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book