Sleep issues

To post a reply, login or signup

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
Sounds like a lot of us have issues with sleep deprivation or poor sleep. Count me in. Just curious what has helped you all. I am currently trying to do energy exercises daily. I take magnesium at night and four drops of Rescue Remedy, which may just be a placebo but I don't care. I've tried drinking a tea that is supposed to help as well as apple cider vinegar - which is horrid. I also have Valium, but I just don't want to use it that much for lots of reasons. I am also trying to do daily meditation.

I cannot deny that as the evening nears, I start feeling more anxious. I just don't seem to be able to find anything that really helps. Sometimes when I wake up, I play a game on my phone until I get drowsy again or listen to a boring podcast.
updated by @calmidwester: 07/28/17 09:51:17AM
bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
9 months ago
169 posts
Hi there. Yeah sleep has become something I don't look forward too since Mid December.
Does the magnesium and rescue remedy work?
I take a calcium herbal mix and no such luck.
I am not sure what it is that is keeping me up. I am in the process of deconstructing my entire life as this was where I was being led butt I often wonder am I just distorting it all? I have a medical
issue going on that is brain related so I second guess myself....I also have a very intense connection with someone professionally so there are needed boundaries so it further adds wonder to does this person feel the same. Is it the energies that are keeping you up or other things? maybe that would help us sleep better? I would love to look forward to going to sleep peacefullly someday...
CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
Well my response just went into outer space. I basically have the exact same issues right down to the intense relationship that needs boundaries. It all comes flooding in at night. Boo. Honestly nothing works very well.
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
509 posts

I have a few sleep suggestions that may help. I take melatonin & valerian root supplements every night. They are all natural and really help. But a couple years ago before I knew I was an empath I took Tylenol Simply Sleep nightly. It is basically Benadryl and knocks me out and keeps me asleep. That stuff was the best sleep I've ever had. I still take it once in a while when stress is up. You may want to try over the counter Benadryl on a short term basis just to catch up a bit. (But there are some longer term health concerns with Benadryl so remember to just try it on a shorter basis).

I also have had really good luck doing a salt soak meditation before bed to just flush away the anxiety from the day.

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
I will try Valerian. I've heard of that and it's one thing I haven't tried. I have used Benadryl before. Maybe I'll try that again just to see if I can get one or two good nights in! Thanks!! I did also recently try the bath. Do you use Epsom salts?
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
509 posts

@calmidwester

Use sea salts or rock salt in the bath. And then you can add Epsom salts except that is really magnesium. But Epson salts do a nice job relaxing muscles so they are also helpful. 

You also may want to try binaural beats with headphones. Most empaths love binaural beats as it puts your brain in a relaxation trance. I often listen to these while meditating. They have quite a few to choose from on YouTube. Here's a link to one:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=binaural+beats&&view=detail&mid=4FC149512E67AF6183D14FC149512E67AF6183D1&FORM=VRDGAR

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
I need to try the beats again. They sort of wigged me out the first time, but you are the second person that mentioned them to me. Thank you!!
TigerLily
@tigerlily
9 months ago
309 posts
My sleep issues improved when I started working stable hours, where I can go to bed every night about the same time and wake up the same time. It took many months, but it eventually worked. Right now with a health issue I'm just tired all the time anyways, but I cut out alot of caffeine/sweets/carbs which has also helped. The nights I can't sleep I use lavender oil. The good kind that is pure. I shake the oil all over my bed and I'll knock out. If that doesn't help still, I'll drink some wine :)
CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
I try to eat pretty healthy, but I do have caffeine in the morning. Usually just one big cup of coffee. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try life without it. Thanks!!
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
509 posts

@calmidwester:

The sounds can be a bit strange and sometimes annoying. But there are a ton out there that are supposed to do different things for you so just try a few out until you find the right one. I have had great meditations with them where I have had some pretty interesting visions. But quite often I fall asleep while listening even if I'm trying not to do that. I find them really relaxing. Empaths are usually musically inclined and there is something about the way these beats relax our minds.

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
509 posts

@calmidwester:

If you don't mind me saying so, I think you sound more stressed than anything and just need to try daily to perfect some grounding techniques. You need to quiet your mind. And maybe give yourself a couple days distance from things that get you stressed (like the news, dramatic friends and relatives etc...). You could try cutting out the coffee but I doubt that will help much. I think a life without coffee and wine isn't worth living. Laugh

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
Well you are of course exactly right. I have been dealing with a lot of family stress and the news does make it worse. I am thinking of getting off of social media for Lent, which starts tomorrow. You just confirmed that this is probably the right decision.
Hermes.V
@hermes
9 months ago
104 posts
Hi there. You know, when in the process of awakening, its common to experience sleepless nights. A major part of this due to your body adjusting to a signifivant increase of information. Where before you had five senses, now you may have tens, even hundreds of senses and this can be overwhelming for the body. Yet it is not right to merely shut off these extra senses, thus the body need to adapt to the increase of information in some way.
So, what's needed is a two prong approach. Cleanse/ground and afterwards energize. Like hop daddy suggested, a salt soak is a really good way to cleanse off the days energies. You can supplement this with further grounding and flushing excercises. The second step is to absorb energy. This can be done with prana breathing, energy works or empathic absorption. This second step will energize you quite a bit that you won't feel sleepy for awhile, and in fact feel quite refreshed and alert. Perhaps it is a good time to go into some contemplative or transcendental meditation. Or, perhaps do some excercises aimed at improving integration of the extra senses. After some time you should feel ready for sleep. Not too tired and still somewhat alert, but most importantly, free from the day's attachments, and this is the perfect condition for sleep.
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
509 posts

If you are like me you probably pick up people's emotions and stuff even in emails and in Facebook postings. Some days its best to just go on a black-out and shut it off. The news in particular is just so out of control negative right now. Shut it all down for a couple days and work on relaxing and grounding and track your progress. You should be able to relax and regain strength and feel more like you want to feel.

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
You guys have been so helpful. Thank you. I am very glad to have found this group. Other than you all, I only have my counselor which is also part of the stress now lol. He has helped me a lot but...

I will keep doing what I'm doing and try to incorporate some of these other suggestions. The social media blackout begins tomorrow!
TigerLily
@tigerlily
9 months ago
309 posts
If you like coffee try decaf. I drink coffee alot, but it's mostly decaf. I forgot I used to use nature sounds at night. Pandora has a station and it will shut off after a few hours. Nature always calms me and grounds me. I used to also have a station with all kinds of soothing piano music, as well.

And I agree with the social media and news. It really makes my blood boil reading all those things. It got to the point I was so mad they were recording waiting for the giraffe to give birth. It's like "give this poor creature that is locked up in this small area some privacy" I think birth is amazing and new life, but I don't know why it just bothered me? Also, try not talking or texting or emails before bed. Unless you are here chatting with us :) no one here wants you to feel burdened or upset :)
CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
I may look into the liquid, thanks!! I just have regular pills now - huge horse pills!!
bvashti
@vwsmiles
9 months ago
8 posts

YES!!  Sleeping is horrible for me. I have been drinking Sleep Water made by the Neuro company.  It has a combination of melatonin, valerian, magnesium and L-tryptophan.  It works pretty good.  There is also an app "OMG I can mediate" that is useful.  But, you need to make sure to use the sleep meditation because if you use the regular one the womans voice comes back and will startle you, (at least it did me).  LOL.   I have had sleeping issues since I was a little girl, and they have continued to plague me as an adult.  I will look into the liquid magnesium.  I do have ambien, but I don't like to rely on it every night. 

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts

I've always had sleep issues as well.  I am going to look into the Sleep Water.  This thread has been great for support, thank you and good luck to you.  I feel the same way about the Valium, it's just not a permanent solution.  

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
9 months ago
1,185 posts

I have serious sleep issues myself, a lot of it due to the mega-stress of being in withdrawal from a long term prescribed drug (xanax) in the same class as valium....please DO NOT take that sh*t! It is crazy addictive and harder to get off of than heroin!

As a result, I've found the usual suggestions of valerian, Mg, chamomile, lemon balm, passionflower, epsom salt baths, etc. to be way too weak to help me, though I do take Mg for other reasons and have found the ionic powder to be the strongest form for me. 

Major stress causes cortisol to be raised at night, when it should be lower. If stress is a problem, I highly recommend PhosphatidylSerine. It is the only thing strong enough to work for me. Take it about 4 hrs. before you need it to work and repeat during the night if needed. It is safe to take a lot more than what is on the label if needed. I've found Jarrow brand sofgels to be the strongest bang for the least buck.

During the day, Theanine is known as "the natural xanax" and is great for calming without drowsiness. If you are really stressed out, I highly recommend tart Cherry extract capsules, which can increase your exercise tolerance, lower inflammation and raise your melatonin and serotonin all at once, and it is quite affordable. It can  be taken every 2 hours if needed.

I also switched all night lights in our house to red bulbs to block blue light and I wear orange glasses for an hour before bed time and every time I get up during the night. They are dirt cheap at Amazon and will block the blue light that turns off your melatonin. Blue light is why screens of any kind are bad close to bed time or if you are up during the night. The glasses will allow you to use the screens anyway if you need to. Likewise, bedside clocks  with blue numbers should be switched  for ones with red numbers. Just two seconds of blue light can stop your melatonin production for the night. 

I've tried  loads of things, but these are getting me through literal hell that will go on for at least one more year. I still have some partly sleepless nights, but I no longer go totally w/o sleep, and I no longer shake like a leaf in the morning, or feel totally suicidal in the morning like I did. Long, slow walks taken in the morning can also help to wear off excess cortisol from stress, and getting outdoors doesn't hurt either. 

My memory is all but gone due to lack of sleep, and I am making loads of mistakes, so this can get serious, aside from the dramatically increased risk of major diseases in those who sleep less than 7 hrs. per night. I wish you all the best in healing this problem. 

C. Cat

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
Wow, thank you for all of the info. I am sorry for what you've been through. I am going to try the drink and your post makes me think I just need to double down on my efforts. It's just gotten really out of control and it's not going to go away with a half a#*ed effort. I'll have to work on this every day, all day. I definitely have struggled with the foggy brain and it of course just makes me more emotional when I'm sleep deprived. I think the only reason it hasn't been worse is that I exercise a lot. Thank you again. My local grocery story carries those drinks so I'm going to try them out.
Lotusfly
@lotusfly
9 months ago
410 posts

Yes, as mentioned above, there are lots of supplements and lifestyle skills you can use for insomnia. But do you really want to become dependent on an outside source in order to sleep at night?

I want to add to the suggestions that not fretting about the lack of sleep and knowing that it will eventually pass is a good perspective to have, because anxiety over lack of sleep only makes it worse.

The fact is, with awakening (and being an empath is the first sign/stage of awakening), we are changing. Our diets should change as well as our sleep needs (less and lighter amounts of both). We are evolving to light beings and our frequency is increasing.

So I wouldn't get concerned if you don't get the typical amount of sleep at night that is recommended (everyone has different needs anyway). Your body no longer needs that amount. But also, don't fret over the less sleep either, because that will make it hard to get any sleep!

I believe the bigger problem is not the lack of sleep but the anxiety associated with it. The fact of the matter is, our bodies take care of themselves and are natural healers. So please don't worry but also don't exasperate the issue.

Namaste~

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
@lotusfly, thank you. This is very good advice and I need to work on this!!
CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
I think there is always a balance. I did wake up a few times last night and I just told myself over and over that it was going to be fine and that I was going to be all right. I am really glad you brought that up @lotusfly! I know it will make a difference. I'm also going to keep tweaking my routines and supplements! As overwhelmed as I was when I first heard the term Empath and read all about it, I am so glad that it led me here. Feeling a lot less trapped and anxious overall!!
Rene''
@rene
9 months ago
1,194 posts
I haven't been able to sleep with sleep meds in years. I have tried it a few times but I eventually have to go back on them.
Jan Howorth
@jan-howorth
9 months ago
10 posts

Recently we have just fitted blackout curtains as my wife works shifts and has to sleep during the day sometimes, I have found I am having a deeper sleep through the night now and not waking up as often. It is something to do with the light stimulating your eyes and waking you up. If you keep your eyes partially shut when you nip to the loo it lets less light in and you fall back to sleep easier afterwards, but the curtains have definitely made a difference.

Lotusfly
@lotusfly
9 months ago
410 posts

CalMidwester: I think there is always a balance. I did wake up a few times last night and I just told myself over and over that it was going to be fine and that I was going to be all right. I am really glad you brought that up @lotusfly! I know it will make a difference. I'm also going to keep tweaking my routines and supplements! As overwhelmed as I was when I first heard the term Empath and read all about it, I am so glad that it led me here. Feeling a lot less trapped and anxious overall!!

I'm so glad it helped you! Sometimes if we step out of our own way, everything falls into place :) Our perspective makes a huge difference in how we feel because our thoughts create our reality. That's why it's so important to think positive! :)

May you have a restful night tonight too~

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book