What do you all think about religion?

To post a reply, login or signup

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I grew up in a very religious home. My parents found religion when they were young adults and it saved their lives, gave them direction and purpose and fulfillment that they had been looking for their whole lives.

When I was a teenager, I started to wonder if what I was always taught that our particular church was the only all the way true church. That didn't seem likely or true or even rational. My parents were very upset that I would wonder that and my spiritual awakening was pretty much cut short there.

I'm in my 40s now and the awakening that I couldn't finish as a teenager started again for me last year. I left my church for some time away at the beginning of this summer. It has been a very spiritual and learning experience to break away from my church. I don't want to go back. I can't go back to my old way of thinking. If I do go back, it will be to support my husband who is still very active and my time away is very stressful for him, but I can't go back to my old way of thinking because I can't unseen and unknown what I've learned.

One thing I am really beginning to wonder is about the nature of religion. Before, I very much believed what I was taught that the church I was in was the truth. I always believed that all religions had truth and goodness and merit, but that mine was the ultimate truth. That wasn't true. I was really blind to the fact that people are all different and each person has an individual spiritual path that is best for them.

I'm wondering, and please forgive me if I am being offensive here, I am still stripping away some of my unhealthy programming and related black and white religious thinking. Do you think religion belongs in higher vibrational levels? For me personally, I had to leave my faith to grow vibrationally. At the same time, I know my church is very good for some people and has many truths and good things. For some people, being religious is what raises their vibration. Is it true that some of us can just move past it vibrationally, because I kind of feel like I grew out of my religion. I did not know that was a thing, and I'm so new at thinking of this differently. I wonder what you all feel about religion and higher vibrational levels and being an empath.

updated by @sarah: 06/05/17 01:14:26AM
Romantok
@romantok
2 years ago
8 posts

I would say that religion is a very fragile thing to talk about to people since all have their own belief in this matter. I believe that what is more important is how people feel being in a religion. If it is good for them than it is ok, but if you have some doubt about it then it is ok too.

One thing is for sure is that most religion's followers all believe that "their" religion is the "real good one" and is the "thruth". What is good for one is not necessary good for another as we see it is in life. They all claim that "their" religion is the "only way to salvation", and that the other religions are false. Well... this is in a way impossible.

Most religions are the shadow of what they were supposed to be because mankind have changed the original source of all religions. There was a study done on this and this was the conclusion of it. So personaly I do not follow any knowned religions anymore, I'm on a spiritual path and this path is more important than religion because it is one in a way. But it is a free way of doing it. I follow my intuitions and they guide me well. For me God is universal and not chained in a religion. People have changed religion to fit their need of believing the way they choose it to be. And since humankind is imperfect, it is the same with the changes humankind did with the religion.

I do not want to offense anybody here, but we all have the choice to believe what we want. The important thing is how you are and feel in what you do. If you feel good and happy, then it is ok for "you". If you don't feel good or unhappy then it is time you change your way and your path. Simple as that. Why complicate things?

Religion separate people instead of uniting them for the good of humanity. Is that good? Did God wanted separation or unity? Does it make sense that people call God with different names and fight each other for a "name" and for some "human" belief? I don't think so. Just in what is happening with religions we can see very clearly that there is something wrong. There is a growing movement of another more universal way about religion. It is of a more spiritual and universal nature. There is a universal God of love and this is the real truth for me and many others.

I've learned in my life with many spiritual experiences that truth is everywhere as his love and nature. Spiritual vibrations are not only in religions even if you so believe but in many ways God did the universe. It is to us to find them. I can appreciate and feel full of joy to be and live this free with love for all things. Religion is believing something said, spirituality is living and experiencing the beauty of what reality is in all its splendor.

P.S. Again, if your religion is good for you than continue on this path, but let others make their own choices and let them be. We all have our own ways to meet God and they are all good, whatever people say. It is not what people say that is important, it is what God really is.

Romantok
@romantok
2 years ago
8 posts

I liked the way you have explained your experience on the matter. I don't think your wrong with all of the previous stuff you've said... Your truth might be true for others too in a similar way. It doesn't need to be anyone else's truth but it could be similar.

P.S. Your poetry is interesting.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Thank you for all of these thought out responses. This is such a big issue for me right now, I'm going to need to read over these a few times, and really let them roll around my spirit and see how they feel to me.

I appreciate you all being willing to talk about the delicate subject of religion to me. I am in need of hearing people's perspectives on this right now. Thank you all!

Paul
@paul
2 years ago
915 posts

I have gone through a re-evaluation of religion in general last year. I've concluded that it is HEAVILY manipulated by those that wish to control your evolution and soul's path. That manipulation has led me to off planet influences, yes I know but that is what I have found out. Religion in general is good for some but not an end in itself. In order to progress you must dump all of its influence on you and seek the TRUTH. You might find it way more interesting than what is being taught in churches today. This is a very personal path that NO ONE may interfere with.

Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

I always like Joseph Campbell's comparison of religion to computer software. Some people rely only on one type of software, some can use more than one program, and some can write their own. Mythology and religion have been a necessary part of civilizations as it basically offers some type of explanation for our world and why we are here. Beliefs are created and some type of system is set in place where there is a religious body that sets rules and regulations. As all religion is man made, a religion can have a high vibration as it does good for the community and is loving to all. However, you generally don't see that happening. Most established religions exist to maintain their own power. Like anything else that's man made, it has the capacity for higher vibration. Think of music, literature, art; some works are capable of raising a person's vibration, others are neutral and some lower the vibration.

I was raised Catholic but my family wasn't strict. I attended Catholic school until I graduated high school. But even there, the nuns that taught were more liberal. This was the seventies and the Church was still focused on things like poverty and social justice. When I was 18, I gave up the Church, I still went through the motions as I was still in Catholic school but I no longer believed. Part of this was the strong emphasis that Catholic education placed on logic and reason. We were always told to think for ourselves. And that was the problem. On the one hand we were told to follow the teachings of the Church, and on the other hand, we were told to think for ourselves. This was especially true for me with regards to the Church's view of women and reproductive rights.

I was not the only one who could not reconcile my beliefs with those of the Church. As I said, most of the nuns were very liberal (they didn't even wear habits) but we had a couple of nuns who were less liberal. During my senior year, one of these nuns stated in class that if someone didn't believe in God, they wouldn't go to heaven. Well, it was like a bomb had dropped in the class. This was a Catholic girls prep school and we were a well-mannered group but suddenly you had students that had never opened their mouth to express an opinion, on their feet challenging the teacher. That statement had struck a chord and we all felt it. It was wrong. Many Catholics of my age group left the Church and in large part, I believe it was because of our education - we did what we were told and started thinking for ourselves.

The other reason why I left is for years, the Church's teachings could never explain things that deeply troubled me. Our family suffered many deaths, and I didn't understand why. I was so sick of the priest saying "we can never understand the will of God". There were moments I just wanted to stand up during the mass and say "Well, could we do a damn sight better?"

I got into metaphysics in my thirties and have never looked back. Finally, I found some explanation to my questions and the learning is never ending. Just when I think I've figured everything out, something new comes along and my consciousness expands even further. Like the software comparison, there are people who are terrified to think for themselves. They need to rely on a specific program of guidelines. As humans, we are slowly evolving from that. We all have a direct communication with the Creator - we don't really need a middleman.

Even though I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I have deep respect for it. It was part of my life, it gave me a foundation on which I could either build from or reject. On the occasions when I have attended a service, I feel more like a visitor who is revisiting an old destination or like visiting a childhood home. You no longer live there but you still can have good memories of the place. I still love the mystery of the rituals, the music, the great art that the Church sponsored. I can visit it but not be a part of it - it's a memory of another lifetime and as it made me who I am today, I can respect it. I don't agree with it and am more than well aware of the abuse of power that existed and still does. But it is a man made institution so it has its dark side but it's also capable of great good. It's neither good nor bad and I accept it for what it is.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Wow! What a gift this is. Thanks for sharing your story and I love the analogy of the software! I think I need to read some Joseph Campbell. So often when I'm reading about the evolution of myth and religious tradition his quotes and ideas come up. He always seems profound and insightful and accessible at the same time.

I love how you talk about your past church. That's how I want to leave mine, with gratitude for what it gave me--which is a lot, and confidence in my new path. Right now, I'm still grieving and dealing with religious trauma syndrome, although it is getting better than it has been. I think for me, I chose to give my religion too much of my power. That is not the fault of the religion, although they ask for all you have, you don't have to give it. You can keep yourself whole and sacred and only give what will be beneficial to yourself and your own journey.

This journey away from my religion has been like an earthquake through every atom of my being. I never saw it coming or expected it. My faith was who I was. I was a leader my faith community, especially with the teenagers I taught. Even though I am a gentle person, I am one of those people that other people seem to gravitate to and follow, and that's what I was in my church. It was so jarring to all of a sudden NEED to step away and reprogram myself. I felt guilt for all those kids I worked with that I was being a bad example or something, but I had to do what I had to do. Ultimately, I know it's a good example to follow your gut and listen to your intuition to find the best path for you, but sometimes doing the right thing looks like the wrong thing at first.

I too have issues with some of the social policies of my church. I personally support all my LGBT loved ones in marrying the partners of their choice, and I don't believe that God wants the people he made with same sex attraction to be celibate and alone in this life. I also think that women should always have equal power and voice with men and be able to choose a life that suits them individually, and not just in the home if they want something else. There are a lot of other issues I have that feel to me more like constructs of man than of God and that don't work for me.

Thank you for your balanced, and personal and insightful reply. I so appreciate all these words. I wish you lived near me. I always wish we could just go out for a tea and talk. You have so many interesting things to say.

And thank you to everyone on this thread for posting. Hearing your insights helps me on my own journey.

Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

You're welcome Sarah. Happy to help.

Campbell is extremely helpful in obtaining an overview of religions and beliefs. Btw, I don't think you will find a written quote of the software (if you do, let me know). I think it came from one of his interviews - probably with Bill Moyers.

I should point out that my journey from leaving the Church to where I finally became comfortable with my belief system didn't happen overnight. While in college, I studied comparative religions but didn't feel drawn to any one of them.

There were times when I read lots of spiritual books and there were long periods where I just didn't focus on it but got on with my life - trusting that one day, I might have the answers. For whatever reasons, this is part of your journey. We get ourselves lost so we can find ourselves. It may also be a loss of identity for you. A large portion of our identity is tied to our beliefs which is why it often feels so painful to go through what you are dealing with. Just trust that this will all unfold and when you eventually look back at this time, you will see that everything lead you to exactly where you need to be.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Thank you!

Romantok
@romantok
2 years ago
8 posts

"I like"

Romantok
@romantok
2 years ago
8 posts

Agree... I likeJoseph Campbell a lot, he is a very good mythologist and his writting are wonder.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts
Thanks, Galtraveller. I'm at a hard place right now with this. I need to let go, but my programming is strong. It helps to hear these perspectives.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book