Here We Go Again....

To post a reply, login or signup

Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

The Holiday insanity is upon us all and I just cringe at watching just a little regular TV. Its the commercials with their horrific assault on my senses. Maybe I am more sensitive this year but its been building up. I recently discovered the truth behind the christian religion and for that matter the entire bible. It was depressing but I am over it now.

More than ever I see this time of the year which I enjoyed as a drudgery of commercialization whose only purpose is to consume food, stuff, things, movies, cars, etc. The religious channels and churches are no better since all they care about is making sure their brand of religion is pushed at all costs and their members remain well under their control. I have largely disconnected from the regular TV and just selectively watch shows that I like on Netflix and other places that have no commercials. I just want to block it all and hope to be over like yesterday.

I consider spirituality to be paramount and you do not need to have religion to have that. In fact religion makes for a stumbling block to most people in stagnation of the spirit. Some call this atheism. It is not.

The truth is that instead of letting Wall Street and Churches define your spirituality, I behoves us all to look inside for it. Stuff like the same old tired christmas songs just won't cut it. I threw all of mine away as christmas junk and clutter.

One thing I did treat myself to is buying the new Nexus 6 from Google. I will pay for useful tech that is used in everyday life that I can control the flow of information on. Technology can be misused but it can also be used very constructively.

I may skip christmas this year as I have been threatening for a few. Of course my kids override me and go for it. My wife gets incredibly depressed at this time of the year anyways and it is no fun at all. I will most likely bring out and set up my LGB Trains sets and play a little. That always gets me happy.

Please take all this a largely an escape valve and I would be interested in hearing if its just me or others feel the same way here.

updated by @paul: 07/22/17 06:43:15PM
Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

So true and what winds happening all the time. I do not like the commercialization but I do enjoy the get togethers and dinner parties. Handmade baked gifts are some of the best things you can give since it is of yourself.

Dice
@dice
3 years ago
284 posts

I have not had television for a while.. and happier for it.

I enjoy cooking this time of year and making gifts to give.. I don't appreciate or buy in to all of the rest of what comes with it.. it changes the feeling of what I want my kids to remember about this time of year. The importance of family and giving your time to show others you think of them. We do this all year but we like the light parade and seeing family.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book