Giving readings to a person who hasn't asked for one

To post a reply, login or signup

Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
So a few weeks ago a regular at at the food place I work at asked me to come over and take his hands. I thought it was weird but I did it anyway. He then proceeded to give me a reading about some very personal stuff in my life and he did it out loud for all of the people I work with to hear. I was angry at him for this. How dare he share all of this personal information about me, weaknesses I'm trying my hardest to overcome. In the past I have been used by people emotionally and financially, an easy trap to fall into as an empath. I recognized what was happening and have since been Wolof very hard to identify when this happens and put a stop to it. When he announced out loud to my workplace that I let people use me I told I know I have in the past but it's something I'm working on. His response was something to the effect of "yeah we'll you're still doing it." I felt like he was saying "hey everyone, Emmy is a big squishy doormat who let's people walk all over her and has no backbone!! Haha!" It really hurt and embarrassed me and I just kind of walked away. The next day he came in and apologized for making me feel uncomfortable but not for reading me without my permission. Then last Saturday he came in and asked him my boyfriend was doing and acted like I was hiding something by only replying with fine. Excuse me for not wanting to share my life with a stranger.I know sometimes I will know something about a person that is personal and I can't help it. I just know sometimes without trying. But I NEVER bring up the things I know without them asking me to directly. I find some of the things I know are highly personal and I feel sharing it and prying is invasive. Was I consenting to his reading by taking his hands? He didn't tell me that's what he was going to do and it really embarrassed me and made me feel about two inches tall in front of everyone. What are your thoughts on giving somebody a reading who hasn't asked for it?
updated by @emmy-long: 06/03/17 03:37:17PM
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
3 years ago
437 posts

One of the first things you learn in doing readings, is you don't read without permission. Sometimes, a person will read another by accident - most here, probably do, picking up bits of info. But that's not the same thing. Purposely going in and reading someone is ethically wrong. It violates a person's freewill.

Many think that a psychic or some type of reader is suppose to be very spiritual. But that's not true. Some of the lowest life forms, I have encountered are psychic. I'm not reading him, but given his actions, I suspect that this guy is on a major power trip; he abused the ability and went in without permission. It's like being assaulted. He may have picked up on your energy because it's very clear and you have a gentle nature - so he figured he could get away with it. If you feel violated, then trust your feelings; embarrassing someone, is not being helpful. Good readers, keep the reading private.

And can I just say, that I feel really bad for you. Nobody should have that happen.

Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

Are you sure you have not unconsciously put out that thought that you need a reading? Remember ZIP ZIP ZIP. Nothing ever happens without a reason. You don't have to listen to anything said or that even people would believe. Chuck it on the "don't care" pile and move on. But you do care and it seems that he is partially right and THAT is the lesson here. Much love compassion and forgiveness.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
3 years ago
272 posts

I agree withPat-Starbridge. He shouldn't be doing this work without permission and, even with permission, everything he is reading should be in private, totally confidential. Even at "best" he is a 'peeping-tom', looking where he shouldn't be looking. At worst he is a bully boosting his own ego in front of others at the expense of a gentle soul he knew wouldn't fight back. As Pat said it sounds like he is on an ego trip.

Also sounds to me like the hand holding was a gimmick for him. I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was going even before he took your hands. It just looks more dramatic (and sets you up for looking like you gave permission - which you didn't) by taking your hands.

Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

True 100%, Permission should be always acquired before any reading.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book