Empathy and Psychic Ethics

To post a reply, login or signup

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

When receiving information for someone who has not requested a reading, like passing them in a grocery store, a co-worker, friend of a friendetc. Is it wrong to share the information?Is it a soul call from that person asking for an answer to questions that us as "receivers" are able to hear?

I would not purposely read someone without permission, but I have beenurged to write a name, or look at a persons picture, only to find waves of information coming at me about the individual at hand. What is there to do with the information if not speak of it? Sometimes I will just pray and let it go? There is such guilt either way.

Do any of you experience this?

How do you handle it?

Thank you.

updated by @sammie: 07/15/17 05:19:46PM
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
3 years ago
437 posts

That is an interesting expression - soul call. I had not thought about it in that way. It is a difficult question to answer and we have had a number of discussions along these lines, on this site. Personally, I have found that when I have offered advice or information without being asked, the person hears the info but it doesn't register because they are not ready to listen. The same can be said for people who want to tell you all about their situation but they just want you to agree with them and are not ready to hear what they need to hear.

We tend to be in receptive mode but most people are in transmitting mode; they are too busy sending out their energy to focus on receiving. It's like when people ask, why no one will give them an answer to their question - when the Universe has been sending signals, right and left.

Generally, I don't offer information unless asked. For example, the person in the store or the co-worker may strike up a conversation with me. In the course of the conversation, there may be a moment when the topic turns to the information I'm picking up and then I can just say a few words that plants a seed. Even if they don't get it, the information is there for them at a later date.

I work from the belief that if I'm meant to offer some information, that Spirit will create the situation. There is also divine timing, sometimes the person has to go through certain situations before they are ready for the information. For example, I had a friend whose client complained that they hadn't been warned about a situation that occurred. As the reader pointed out, if they were meant to know about it, the information would have come up during the reading but they had to go through that situation because there was a lesson involved.

I don't feel guilty about it because it's not my job to help everyone. My job is to be present and receptive for those people who Spirit puts in front of me. I suppose I would say that if you hear a soul call, to see if the Universe creates an opportunity for you to speak with them. If not, remember that energy moves faster than words. We actually communicate more on an energy level then the spoken one. That soul call is coming on an energy level - perhaps that's how it is to be answered. Sending love may be all that person needs at the moment.

And thanks for the topic and the expression "soul call" - I like that one.

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

Can we meet and have tea? You just seem like a wealth of empath knowledge. Ok the creepy invite is in jest, but seriously you opened my mind to some ideas about many things I have been dealing with in terms of feeling responsibility for other people's well being. :)

Also the term Soul Call I can not take credit for. It was a part of the definition of an empathic bond, to describe exactly how we know someone is crying for help. The gist is their spirit has our spirit's phone number though neither is conscious of it and may not even know each other. Since we are attuned with ourselves we do recognize that we are getting the call and answer it accordingly.

Thank you so much I have to screen shot this or print it out and carry it in my purse.

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

Thank you. I too work in human services. Hats off to you madam !!! The part about letting it ".....pass through with out judging it." is valuable information. There have been times where I have allowed empathy to anger me because I couldn't help the person and I perceived it as a taunting from the person's inner being to send this information knowing I could not help or they aren't ready for it. It made me sad.

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

Yeah, I suppose that is a part of the question, by not saying something could it lead to an adverse outcome even if it doesn't seem so serious to me. Certainly something to consider.

Thanks for the reply . :)

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

Thank you all for the insights.

Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
3 years ago
437 posts

It was a lovely invite but we would have to meet at a virtual cafe.

I don't know how much knowledge but more like experience. I have had too many experiences where I have given information freely and the person doesn't hear it. That sounds strange but they hear words but nothing registers; sometime later they might even say "why didn't you tell me?" It's like they never heard the message, I also have emails that often go astray. I got to the point that I had to stop taking it personally and recognize that Spirit was at work and this wasn't their time for the information.

Because of my experience, I tend to hold to the "don't offer unless asked policy." However, that's my path and as I was thinking about the "soul call", Spirit offered some advice that might help. You can request that you have a filter on your communication. If you really feel called to speak with someone that you can set the intention that if the information is meant to be heard at present, it will and if it's something they are not ready for; they wouldn't hear it or wouldn't get it or they will forget it in a second. This sounds weird but I've seen this so many times where the message got "lost in translation". It's like a wall of air is created between you and the other person. That way, if you set that intention, you wouldn't have to worry about whether it's appropriate or not.

Sammie
@sammie
3 years ago
106 posts

I don't know how much knowledge but more like experience. I have had too many experiences where I have given information freely and the person doesn't hear it. That sounds strange but they hear words but nothing registers; sometime later they might even say "why didn't you tell me?" It's like they never heard the message, I also have emails that often go astray. I got to the point that I had to stop taking it personally and recognize that Spirit was at work and this wasn't their time for the information.

Because of my experience, I tend to hold to the "don't offer unless asked policy."

Thank you Pat. This is great advice.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,184 posts

Thank you for the good topic!

I agree about telling the person if it is life or death or even something else that is serious. Even if they don't do anything, then at least you tried.

About 20 yrs. ago, before I understood that I was an empath, there were two times when I picked up upcoming deaths that possibly could have been prevented, but I'd just met the person, my husband was doing work for both of them, and I was afraid it would reflect on him if they thought his wife was some kind of a nut case.

One died 3 weeks after I met him, the other one year after I met her, both of the illnesses that I had picked up previously.

I later had a long talk with the wife of the man who died and his wife said he would not have listened, that he was stubborn and once he decided something, that was it. (He committed suicide). That helped a bit, but I still felt like a bad person for not trying, especially given my being a psychiatric social worker.

In the other case, I later learned the woman was a believer in such abilities and would have been totally open to what I was saying and maybe her cancer could have been caught early enough. I've never stopped feeling guilty about that one.

I hear people say they turn off their ability to read people and never tell them and I think why were we given this ability, if not to use it? I will never not tell someone something important I see again, even if they think I'm a complete boob. Just my opinion.

However, when it comes to relatively unimportant stuff, I find if I tell them they are about to jump into a swimming pool with no water in terms of a relationship, investment, etc., I find they will usually do it anyway, and afterwards, will kill the messenger (me). Every time they see me, it reminds them of how stupid they were and they lash out. So, now I let them keep their unnecessary dramas if they want them that badly.

Sammie
@sammie
2 years ago
106 posts

Reply byCheshire Cat;However, when it comes to relatively unimportant stuff, I find if I tell them they are about to jump into a swimming pool with no water in terms of a relationship, investment, etc., I find they will usually do it anyway, and afterwards, will kill the messenger (me). Every time they see me, it reminds them of how stupid they were and they lash out. So, now I let them keep their unnecessary dramas if they want them that badly.

You made me laugh. Really this is so true about the "unnecessary dramas", at least when it comes to people we know well enough. This excerpt describes perfectly a situation that I was in until I decided that enough is enough.

Angel
@angel
2 years ago
603 posts

Understand that some will be greatful and some will not. The biggest question you should ask yourself is what benefit does it have to the person. Is it information that they are in pain and you are just recieiving it, or is it a message from spirit, which could actually benefit them. Ask your guides. For example, if you see an accident, this info may not meant to be shared but for you to maybe say a prayer for them. If you feel they are a druggie and need rehab, again, they will likely not recieive this well, so you have to ask your guides am I just randomly channeling this or is there something for me to do or say that will benefit from the situation. Is a warning for me to stay away? ect. If it is a message from the Angels, could be an answer to aprayer they had, so instead of giving them info on everything you get, you may just want to make it short and sweet and stick with just the message., ie: "the angels say not to worry, everything is working out and you are being taken care of: ect. What you can also do is is write the info on a piece of paper, keep it to the core of the information and then hand it to them and walk away. If they want more info, they will call to you. Not all information is meant to be shared. I rarely get information on death, but once in a blue, I do. I refuse to tell the person because it is destined, and by saying something like that to do them, will only make that their last moments filled with fear and panick, which causes no benefit to them waht so ever, so instead, I might say something such as "have a beautiful day" and then send some energy to help them make it the best day ever. Use your intutition and if it brings fear or something negative, then it's no benefit to anyone no matter how good your intentions are. We can get problems all day long, and they already know what the issue is, without a resolution that will touch them, is pointless, at least this is my rule of thumb,lol. Use your intution, maybe they just need a simple smile and good day to you, that will completely change them. Maybe it's a compliment that turns that "frown up side down," even if they give you that "ok, that was weird look" we often don't see the effect it has within" and it touches them. I hope this help:)

Sammie
@sammie
2 years ago
106 posts

Yes it did thank you. It was very much along the lines of the thoughts that made me start the discussion. I felt so pointless in knowing so many things that wrenched my heart. I seldom think to ask guides when I do, sometimes I don't understand the reply or what to do.

EX. I hear or feel a person is nervous.

I ask and might get a response like:

"__(person's name) ___'doesn't know what to say"

There is no context to that and it happens multiple times a day.

Sammie
@sammie
last year
106 posts

Thanks for the input Love and FR.

The flower story is beautiful.

@FR I really like the idea of the three questions, I think that would not only confirm that it is the person but give me time to gauge what type of feelings they have about "messages". Someone once told me I was playing with God, lol. Mind you I wasn't talking to them or about anything concerning them, plus the person I was talking to came to me for a reading.

Another time a woman had a son that was having trouble in school, I asked her she said no initially and talked about how "advanced" her children were by the time is was all said and done she admitted that he has been having trouble learning and blamed the teacher for not being able to teach. Just as she says that, another lady close by said that she just got a call from the school and wish someone would tell her that her son is going to be okay because he was being very difficult in school. I felt terrible but did speak with her to get a feel for her situation and offered what I received. I don't know if i had the wrong person or if the energy from both women having troubled sons was permeating the air. The second person was certainly more open to what I said.

All that is to say the question method can help eliminate the confusion. Thank you!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book