Are you "in the closet" about your abilities?

To post a reply, login or signup

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Are you open about telling people you have certain abilities, or do you only reveal them in rare circumstances?

updated by @retrogirl: 05/09/17 05:28:01PM
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts
Hehe, I'm very much in the closet! I don't tell people in real life unless I feel like they are into this sort of thing. Unfortunately, that's much rarer here in Halifax than it was in Calgary, but what do you do? I almost never tell them about being an empath because I find it hard to explain, and people don't believe it. I also don't like using the word "psychic" because it has too many connotations of knowing the future. Which I don't. Sometimes, I've had very insistent urges to tell people things, and I try to resist it, but sometimes I speak up. The other person is almost always more open to the information than I am about telling it. It's a lot easier for me to write than to speak, so that's another reason the internet is a better venue for me than in person. A big part of it is that I find things hard to explain in a way that people will understand the way I want them to. So, I'd rather say nothing! I've wanted to do this, or something related to it, for a long time, and I've been feeling the urge to do it even stronger lately, so I hope to figure it out at some point!
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Don't get me wrong, I loooooooooooove Halifax. There's kind of a joke around here, "Welcome to Nova Scotia, set your clock back 10 years! That's a big part of what I love about it, though. It's old school, people still take time to enjoy life & appreciate family. There's not as much hustle & bustle as the rest of the world, but there's also consequences to that. It's traditionally a very religious place. People are open minded, but a little set in their ways. There is a "New Age" movement, but it's easily 10 years behind. It's picking up speed though. I hated Calgary, even though that's where I was born & raised. I find it emotionally cold & draining. But, ironically, the spiritual community is very advanced. Living in Nova Scotia is like being wrapped in a warm hug. =)

I feel it's a very special place, and in the 70's, a Buddhist leader felt so too. He encouraged his Buddhist followers to move here, and they did. People here were a little surprised at first, but they've integrated into the city, and now there's a Buddhist school & everything (that's where Ellen Paige went to school). There's even a Buddhist monestary in Cape Breton, which I'm dying to visit!!

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Christine,

I would love to have your explanations to help me! I know it's more my own psychological problems at work here than the words, but it really helps to have that back-up. I would like to be able to tell people I'm psychic without using that word. I'm just not sure how else to describe it. "Intuitive" doesn't seem strong enough.

I don't consider myself a medium, but I can "see" spirits who've passed on, and what they're doing up in heaven. That's a weird one! I don't want to say I communicate with spirits because sometimes I do, but most times I don't. I just see them. Sometimes. LOL!!

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Thanks, Christine!

It's always helpful for me to find ways to describe it. I see what you're saying about being clairvoyant, I think you're definitely right. I tend to shy away from that word too because I feel like people associate it with fortune telling. Aside from the odd rare occasion, I don't see the future, I only see the past. But, if a need a quick explanation, that actually makes a good one!

I think basically, I can see & feel energy. But, that makes me sound like more of a healer than a psychic. I tried doing energy healing, but I found it too boring! Not for me, I'm afraid.

Voodoo doctor?? =O Oh my. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Voodoo doctor, but my God, it's not synonymous with clairvoyant!!

Actually, past life readings are the easiest one for me! Everyone knows about the theory of past lives, even if they don't believe in it. I've never had any trouble approaching people about that, other than the fact that it blows my cover! I usually ask them if they believe in past lives, and whether they do or not, it doesn't come across as threatening, people are very open to the information, and don't feel like they need to believe in it to find the info intriguing.

I guess it matters to me so much because I'd love to eventually do this for a living, but I don't know how to advertise myself. I hate telling people, "No, sorry, I can't do that." They always seem so disapointed. I'd rather have a limiting definition, and then give them more info later than have them ask questions only to be told no! The only easy one is past life readings, that's pretty straight forward. But, I put too much pressure on myself, and feel like I need to be able to give them their past life names, and accurate dates,places, etc. I can only give generalities. I feel like that's not good enough to charge money for!

I think you should write a book one day!

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Cape Breton Monastery ~http://www.gampoabbey.org/home/index.html

In the last couple of years, I've been sorely tempted to get rid of everything & become a nun!! The only problem is, I'm not a Buddhist!! LOL!!

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Hi Pisces!

Welcome to the group! I hear ya, people already think I'm weird, but they don't really know why. I feel like telling them would only give them the ammo they need to write me off completely. =(

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Hi Life's Path!
Welcome to the group! I got busy at work for a bit & haven't been able to keep up with this group as much as I want, but I hope you find yourself at home here. =)

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
6 years ago
317 posts

Hi Linda!

Welcome to the group! I've found usually other people are much more receptive to getting it than I am to giving it! LOL!

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
5 years ago
317 posts

{{{Hugs}}} I know what you mean. It's a difficult position to be in in our society.

Retrogirl
@retrogirl
5 years ago
317 posts

Hi Roy,

I totally agree, I don't want to be labelled as "psychic" because to most people, that's synonymous with telling the future, which I don't. Some people put you on a pedestal, which I'm uncomfortable with, and others lose respect for you, even though you're the same person you always were.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book