Feelings of Detachment

To post a reply, login or signup

Cara
@cara
2 years ago
6 posts

I am an intuitive healer/teacher and a holistic practitioner. Because of my work I am with and develop deep relationships with people who are chronically ill. A lot of these people are experiencing extreme emotions of fear along with the physical pain. Recently I have found that I am detaching and it feels almost like an out of body experience. I feel no emotion, I have no ambition, I have no motivation to do anything, and at times I can't even speak because it feels like a foreign language ...I'm just kinda here but as an observer.

I don't like feeling this way and feel like its a defensive response to someone who I am closely connected with being chronically ill or their loved one that I communicate with daily. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get back connected to my body and deal with the harsh energy that I am exposed to from my practice?

updated by @cara: 07/12/17 07:00:18PM
Cara
@cara
2 years ago
6 posts

Hi Tanja, I'm a doctor of Naturothopathy, its providing the body with the correct elements that it needs to heal and removing the cause of disease, and addressing the body, mind, and spirit. I deal a lot with highly energetic foods, along with proper eating, implementing correct lifestyle habits, emotional coping, and spiritual blockages. I don't the normal energy work or touch people. I'm still learning how to not take on other people's energy but its extremely difficult. As soon as I exchange words with someone, I pickup their energy and I find it had to shake. I try to avoid shaking people's hands because I immediately pickup their energy.

So that's the work that I do. Thanks for the response!

Cara
@cara
2 years ago
6 posts

Hi Mari,

Thank you so much, I've had issues before where I have been exhausted but I didn't even think that this was the case because it was so extreme. I did just finish my doctorate and have been bombarded with other people's energy and have just hit a wall and can completely relate to your experience... really helpful!

I will definitely take time to "veg" out....

Thanks again for you help!

water_lily
@water-lily
2 years ago
90 posts

I know this is a long time after you posted, but I am new here an this resonated with me. I grew up in slightly tumoltuous circumstances (not a war zone or anything, just a volatile family). Of course, I felt everything everyone around me was feeling and felt like I needed to fix it, to heal what was wrong, and to be strong enough to do so. When I was very young (I remember doing this at preschool age), I would imagine myself along at my favorite place (it shifted every so often between a place in mountains or a beach). I'd focus on how all my senses would react if I was there; the smell of salt mixed with fish, the feel of my toes wiggling in the sand, the variations of colors in and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, the sound of seagulls high above me (this was my happy place so they weren't bothering me for food.) No one ever told me this was a good idea; in fact I don't think many people even know to this day that I ever did this. Focusing on this happy place didn't make me happy; it just kind of removed me from the sadness/anger that I was feeling (which I now realize was mostly not my own), but I also could not feel love and happiness there. For the most part, all through elementary school, I would mostly feel the feelings and only escape to my "happy place" every so often when things became too overwhelming. As I got older, I could just switch on the "happy place" feeling without "traveling" there. The feeling I captured was very much what you describe: out of body, no attachment, no ambition, no wish to communicate, feeling like an unattached observer; no emotions. Near the end of elementary school, things got worse. It wasn't so much that one traumatic event happened; there were just a lot of emotionally traumatizing things that were happening (elderly families members that I cared deeply about were forced to separate from each other due to medical expenses and how insurance worked, one died before they were to be reunited, and the other quite literally died of broken heart in the following year; I lost a grandmother (or possibly more importantly to my empath self, my mother lost her mother); my parents were in the middle of a rather anger and hurt-filled divorce, my sibling was very angry all of the time (presumably because of all the stuff going on) and was acting out to the point that the sibling ended up on house arrest. And that is just the short version of what was going on. I think I ended up depressed and feeling guilty (I was supposed to fix the problems and make everyone happy again) from all this, but it was really hard to tell with all that emotion floating around. I became too overwhelmed and escaped to that "happy-place feeling" and stayed there until college when I was finally away from family. Yes, I escaped from the craziness of all the anger, rage, sadness, hurt, etc that was floating around, but I did it at the expense of feeling happiness, love, and connection to people. Well I guess I felt something, I didn't completely block out my empathic self, but it felt far away. I could still feel someone's sadness and I'd try to help them but it was the emotional equivalent of seeing something happening through fog. The point of this very long TMI post is to tell you that if you feel this kind of detachment and you don't get back to your old self soon, be careful. That space can become too comfortable and one day you may force yourself back into all the emotions and they'll hit you like the shock of jumping into ice cold water: at some point you are convinced it won't be so shockingly uncomfortable and you will become used to it, but the transition definitely isn't pleasant. Since this seems to be something that happens when you are working, maybe you should take a break if this is still happening regularly. I hope my life mistakes can help you or someone else, and good luck!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book