Mistaken Identities: On Being a Highly Sensitive Person, an Empath and a “Sensitive”…or not By Peter Messerschmidt

To post a reply, login or signup

Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
4 years ago
867 posts

~~~Disclaimer: This is a copy of an article that is published in OM TIMES online magazine. I am posting it here because I found it interesting. The points & views within the article, do not necessarily represent my points, views, etc.~~~

I DID NOT WRITE THE ARTICLE:

http://omtimes.com/2012/08/mistaken-identities-on-being-a-highly-sensitive-person-an-empath-and-a-sensitive-or-not/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A non-scientific look at the blurred distinctions between Empaths, Sensitives & HSPs.

By Peter Messerschmidt

In the spiritual and self-development field there are always terms that seem get used interchangeably, or are assumed to be part of each other. Typically, nobody really questions these ambiguities, even if they can lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Some terms that have been on my mind recently are Empath, Sensitive and Highly Sensitive Person (or HSP). I have come across so many statements like Im an HSP, so I am an Empath, or maybe Im an HSPbecauseIm an Empath, or even I dont know why you think Sensitive has anything to with ghosts. In several online venues,I have seen Sensitives join groups for HSPs and become disappointed or upset that little-to-none of the discussion has to do with ghost hunting and the realm of spirits.

These terms are used side-by-side in workshops, articles, books, personal assessments and even advertising, often like they are extensions of each otheryet few people seem to clearly understand what any of them actuallymean.

This confusion begs a few questions: Are HSPs automatically Empaths, and vice-versa?

Is a Highly SensitivePersonand aSensitivethe same thing?

The more I have looked at these different terms and ideas, the more I have come to realize that they are actually rather distinct concepts. And, interestingly enough, theres more to it than simple confusionI have actually come into contact with quite a few Empaths who harbored some mild anger and resentment at being lumped in with the whole HSP movement. On the opposite side of the coin, most HSPs Ive come across would like to think that they are Empaths, while many actually are not. Meanwhile, I have had self-professed Sensitives tell me that the description of an HSP is not only wrong, but isnt what being a Sensitive is about.

My (very short!) explanation of the relationship between HSPs and Empaths/Sensitives has ended up looking a bit like one of those Venn Diagrams many of us had to create for homework, back during our school days. It goes something like this:

Some HSPs are Empaths and Sensitives, and many Empaths are HSPs, but being an HSP does not make you an Empath, and being an Empath does not mean youre automatically a Highly Sensitive Person. None, one, some or all of the above can all be true.

How did I reach such a conclusion?

Before going into a more detailed explanation, lets start with some simple math. HSPsbeing people who possess the innate physiological trait of elevated sensory processing sensitivityaccount for an estimated 15-20% of the population, male and female. True Empaths are quite rare, most likely accounting for no more than 2-3% of the overall population, if even that many. An authentic Sensitive is perhaps even rarer, still Thus, to claim that HSP=Empath=Sensitive cantpossiblybe accurate because the numbers simply dont add up. Lets take a more right-brained approach to our quandary.

A more thorough look at HSPs, Empaths and Sensitives.

The concept of a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) came about in 1996, as a result of studies done by research and clinical psychologist Dr. Elaine N. Aron, who posited that being sensitive wasnt necessarily the product of ones environment, nor a pathology that could be treated with therapy and drugs, like anxiety or OCD. Although the idea of heightened sensitivity was nothing new (Psychologist C.G.Jung identified the sensitive temperament 100 years ago), the notion that theres nothingwrongwith sensitivity presented an alternative approach to mental and emotional wellness that allowed millions of people to abandon the idea that something was wrong with them, and that they needed to seek treatment.

In developing her theory, Dr. Aron created a by now widely used 27-item assessment questionnaire, which consisted of a highly accurate list of attributes common to highly sensitive persons. A number of items on this HSP Inventory list dealt fairly specifically with the aspects of the trait related to a heightened awareness of environment and people, their moods, needs, actions and motivationsattributes central to the definition of Empath:

Empathy: n. 1. The ability to sense and/or understand emotion(s) from another person, animal, inanimate objects incorporating stimulation to any and or all of the senses (including the 6th Sense) without verbally being told and/or without obvious visual clues. 2. The ability to be sensitive and receptive to outside emotional stimuli. adj. empathic or empathetic., v. to empathizeEmpath: n. 1. A person who has the ability to experience empathy towards another person, and/or animate/inanimate objects, in part or from all of the above definition. 2. A person who is sensitive to the emotions in others.

However, of the 27 items on Dr. Arons self-assessment quiz, only 6-7 can realistically be stretched to characterize what it means to be an Empath. If we use a stricter interpretationone that assumes Empaths are specifically oriented topeopleonly three,maybefour, of the HSP inventory items apply. Not enough to make anyone an HSP.

Aside from written definitions, I am also drawing on personal relationships with several true Empaths in my life, including my wife, my daughter and a couple of close personal friends from the healing community.

A layer of confusion has also been added by popular culture.

For reasons unknown, it has become quite common to refer to someone with psychic or other extrasensory gifts as a Sensitive, although that is neither very scientific, nor even a particularly accurate characterization. Ostensibly, the term could be interpreted as shorthand for Sensitive to the subtle patterns of spirit energy. Regardless of its origins, its a definition that tends to stick, and some HSPs follow an erroneous path of conclusions arising from the fact that they are highly sensitive, hence their well-developed sense of intuition (true) makes them psychic (not true), and Psychics and Empaths are pretty much the same thing as HSPs (also not true).

So why do so many HSPs claim to be Empaths? Ultimately, I believe most of it has to do with simply mislabeling heightened awareness of peoples moods as being an Empath, perhaps as a result of not fully understanding what an Empath actuallyis. Perhaps this is not so surprising, as most HSPs have a much above-average ability tofeel empathyfor others, and the journey from feeling empathy to being an Empath is pretty short, in most peoples heads. In addition, many HSPs describe their experience of life by sayingI feel EVERYthing!and its not a stretch to segue from that thought to believing one is an Empath.

The line between Sensitives and Empaths seems a little fuzzier, but from talking to dozens of people about these terms, the clearest delineator appears to be that Sensitives typically are more tuned into the energies of the deceased, while Empaths are more tuned into the energies of the living. However, that is not an absolute, and a number of people could be described as being both a Sensitive and an Empath.

Drawing an actual conclusion from the preceding is tricky and would require me to enter the treacherous waters of judgment, which I am not prepared to do. Mostly, I write these words as a gentle reminder that its important that we fully learn about and understand the labels we attribute to ourselves.

Meanwhile, you might be asking yourself why this question evenmatters. Personally? I didnt used to think it did. But then I discovered that theres a whole set of both Empaths and HSPs (and Sensitives) who are not only getting needlessly annoyed with each other, but hurt feelings are arising over misused terminology.

Of course, we should keep in mind that much of the above is subjective and situational. If youre an HSP and feel that the preceding is stuff and nonsense because you aredefinitelyan Empath, youre probably right. But then pause to consider this venue: A much larger percentage of the HSPs reading an article on a spiritual and healing web site will be true Empaths than the percentage among all HSPs, in general. Likewise, if youre an Empath and think this whole HSP thing is irrelevant to you, keep in mind that youre very likely one of the Empaths who isnotan HSP.

Peter Messerschmidt is a writer, beach comber, rare stamp dealer and eternal seeker who lives in Port Townsend, Washington with the great love of his life and three feline kids. When hes not wandering the beach or the Internet, he facilitates groups (online, and off) and retreats for HSPs, and writes HSP Notesthe webs oldest HSP-specific blog.

updated by @nocturnes-angel: 05/12/17 03:26:57AM
B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
It kind of makes some sense to me I don't only feel sadness I feel all emotions of loved ones or ones I'm close to but also get it from strangers at wally world or the mall even on the road in traffic. The sensitivity stuff I know plenty of mainly girls that looses it over small things like a traffic ticket or a bad grade on a test to some one just raising there voice.In my case graduation from high school boot camp my weddind day ect a tear did fall ok plenty did. I've made excuses for reasoning why I'm the way I am. Small town boy eats what I hunt fish for. Movies that choke me up and such but when I read the description I said woooow its all me. I get choked up cause I feel every ones emotion mine there's and every one else that's happy too. One on one on these events I would not be upset over I would think. Idk that's my take but I guess you could be both.
B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
I'm kind of surprised this topic doesn't have a ton of posts I know I'm an empath that's a gimmy. But I have had that thought in my heads to slow down and do and boom a cop is shooting ray dar or a wreck or something around the next bend. As far as reading some one random thoughts not so much or seeing future things . But I can tell when meeting some one in a second whether they are solid or fake.
Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Interesting article - thanks for sharing! :)

B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
Right on. It is definitely a sixth sense thing we all share

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book