can someone explain this?

To post a reply, login or signup

Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

My boyfriend and I have been living together. He sufferes from PTSD but refuses treatment. It is very hard for me because I pick up on his anxiety, fears, depressions. I've all but begged him to get treatment but he totally refuses. So we are going to go our separate ways.

But, here is my question. I recently rescued a dog that had been neglected and abused. She was in terrible shape, skinny, matted (probably never had a hair cut and she is a terrier) and only had one eye due to a rattlesnake bite. The eye was never taken care of properly.

Anyway, I brought her home without my boyfriends knowledge. It just happened. I could not leave here where she was. He is not really fond of animals although he has a good relationship with my other dog. Good, but not close. So this little terrier that I brought home immediately gravited to my boyfriend. She will not leave his side. He has never liked dogs on his lap, or licking him, but this little girl is always on his lap, sleeps with him, snuggles etc. He totally loves her too.

I am wondering....can it be that she senses his PTSD? Can dogs be empaths?

And wondering. He will be the one leaving (as I said we are going to go our separate ways).

We are both concerned on how it will affect her. We've only had her about 6 weeks.

updated by @karen: 05/17/17 02:32:12AM
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
4 years ago
867 posts

Hi Karen,

Animals are very sensitive to any type of energy: feelings, emotions, physical problems, etc.

Is he taking the dog with him? I ask because if she is that close to him, she may actually be good for him.

Many Rehab Centers use animals in their Therapy Regimens.

Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

No she is not going with him. First because he will be in an apartment that does not allow dogs. Second, as I said he has PTSD, but also a string of "strange" (to me anyway) phobia's. One being that he can not pick up poop (sorry) which he would have to do IF he was able to have her with him. He also is barely able to take care of himself properly...doesn't eat etc. I agree that she would be good for him, but I wouldn't want it at her expense if he wasn't able to be a responsible pet owner. I hope you understand what I just said. He has been having a couple of very bad days, that I have absorbed, and I'm not focusing that well. Right now we are rooms apart so I can regroup.

I actually gave it one last effort to all but beg him to seek treatment for his PTSD. He was emphatic that is was NO. He would not get treatment, he won't take meds, he won't go for any counseling. That he is the way he is and will die that way. So for my own well being we can no longer be together. We split once before and what a relief it was for me. We still talked and texted, but when I would start feeling overwhelmed I would say good nite or my battery was dying, or I had another call on my landline. Anything to stop it. Then he begged to move back and against my better judgement I agreed....but he was suppose to get treatment for his PTSD.

Oh I apologize. I'm going on and on. I need to take some deep breaths and relax.

Thank you for your response and listening (if you could get thru it all.)

Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
4 years ago
867 posts

Hi Karen,

No need to apologize :)

I understand PTSD. However if he is unwilling to get treatment there really isn't anything that you can do for him.

I would suggest that you learn Basic Shielding, Grounding & Cleansing Techniques because as a person who is Sensitive to other people's emotions & energy you these will be crucial to your well being.

If you haven't had a chance to go through it yet,The Empath Survival Programis Phenomenal; as well as, Elise's(ths site's Founder) EFT Videos and I also recommend Donna Eden's Energy Medicine Videos on You Tube.

I especially Donna Eden's recommend:

Energy Medicine 101

The Zip Up Technique

5 Minute Energy Routine

Energy Meridians

I wish you the best :

B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
I have a wolf dog and yes they have the ability to sense / understand our moods last few days Lacoda looks at me sideways and seems to pick up I'm not in a good state. Today my levels have been amazing got a pile of good news and I heard from an old friend my energy is very high and she seems to notice and wants to play so yes they do pick up or feed off our energy me n my lovely Shepard wolf spend 24/7 together we are very close
Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

I know we will remain on good terms. I feel like we are meant to be together, but living with PTSD is not easy. I pray he will seek help on his own, but I really don't think it will happen. Right now he is packing his car. He needs to make a couple trips to get his belongs back to Vegas (I'm in Tucson) because he doesn't have the money to get a moving truck. My little rescue (her name is Tootsie) is following him around. She does not have her usual spring in her walk so I know she is sensing something. I am feeling so depressed - not sure if I'm feeling that way or if I am picking up his feelings - or both.

Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He fought in the VietNam war. It is not easy to live with.

Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

Yes very stubborn. He will not seek treatment. He is what I would say rigid. Things have to be a certain way or it throws him off. He has what I call melt downs, where he starts yelling about one thing (Not directed to me) and it just keeps escallating on and on to other things. Can last hours. Although it is not directed at me I feel the anxiety. I've begged him to get treatment, but he emphatically refuses so there is no way we can live together. I can't handle all the emotions and he says he feels bad that I have to "put up with it".

What you said...did you just pick up on it?

ren mcquiston
@ren-mcquiston
4 years ago
16 posts
Hi Karen... I can totally relate to your situation. My brother was seriously injured in Iraq in 2007 by a roadside bomb. Aside from dealing with recovery from extensive physical injuries, the worst part was trying to cope with PTSD. He refused to talk to anyone about what happened to him, wouldn't even make an attempt to talk with other soldiers about it, hated the army, the doctors, the therapists and everything really. He was so full of explosive rage. He started drinking excessively and doing hard drugs while still enlisted but recovering at home, which culminated in his arrest for possession and fighting with a cop. My family was doing everything we could think of to try to help him heal but nothing made any difference. The army eventually forced him to return to living on base so they could keep a close eye on him until he was done with the numerous surgeries and other physical rehab stuff, and his medical retirement went through. Everyone was at their wits end with him because he absolutely refused to deal with anything and was constantly violently angry amd abusive. As a last resort, his commanding officer ordered him to participate in a program that trains service dogs for combat wounded soldiers called Paws 4 Vets. That's where he met Chance. From that point on everything changed. He bonded with Chance in a way that he was incapable of bonding with any person. It gave him something meaningful to do with a remarkable animal that took the focus off his pain and used that energy buildup for something constructive. It made him responsible for something other than how horrible he was feeling. He felt like he could finally experience those emotions safely with another being who loved him unconditionally and without judgement. That program, that dog literally saved his life. It gave him a reason to heal and a reason for going through all that pain that his family and friends just couldn't provide. Its been an amazing transformation.My recommendation would be to stop pressuring your ex to seek help and instead, since he seems to respond to the dogs, try to help him find a group that trains service dogs for vets or disabled people to work with. Take the focus off what is wrong with him and instead, help him find something he can do to feel good about himself. Dogs are great for that. They offer so much love and understanding, especially when they sense someone needs them. The added benefit is that he would be doing something worthwhile to help other people instead of just focusing on his problem or letting that problem be the focus of his life and his relationships. I can tell you from experience that trying to force someone to ask for or get help, especially with PTSD, can be a futile endeavour. PTSD can make a person very combative and frustrated. Try taking the focus off that, accept its there and instead, try to help by shifting his focus to something outside of himself. Just be sure not to make it about fixing him. It may just be the catalyst he needs to heal.Best wishes to you.Ren
Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

Shannon, I know he feels bad but he totally refuses to talk to anyone. He went back to Vegas. On his way there I texted him that before he made any decisions (getting an apartment etc) to think about treatment for his PTSD. Told him I can not live with it and WE can't have a relationship with it. He just called me and it looks like he is following through with moving there. It is his choice. Right now I feel very sad and anxious but I think those are my feelings not his.

Karen
@karen
4 years ago
28 posts

Shannon, he came back. said he wants to work things out. but the very next day he had one of his meltdowns. Still no to treatment. But that was one of my terms if he came back. guess he doesn't think I'm serious. But I am.

I am finding myself in a state of anxiety all the time. I know it wont stop until he leaves.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book