Psychometry and Empathy

To post a reply, login or signup

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

Have any of you ever experienced psychometry? It would make sense that it would be commonly related to empathy. The other day I was at the memorial at Virginia Tech for the kids who were shot. As soon as I stepped near the markers, I became overwhelmed and teary eyed. I didn't know any of the kids so wasn't personally affected. I think I picked up on all the emotion left by others at that site. Maybe that wouldn't be psyhchometry.....

updated by @ecila: 01/10/17 04:40:28PM
B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
That's why I don't do memorials. The ones I've had to I go zombie, my way of shielding I guess probably not healthy cause I shut down all feeling
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
4 years ago
867 posts

Hi :)

You may still have been experiencing your Empathic Abilities.

Many Empaths are able to feel the emotions (sadness, sense or fear or grief, fear of dying, sense of shock, etc,)

However, this is where it becomes tricky.

If it felt as though you were there, as the pain was yours. Like you were one of the students, etc., that is called Clairsentience (Clear Feeling)

If it got to the point where you were able to pick up visions, hear voices, retrieve information, etc. that is when is it termed Psychometry.

I hope this information helped.

You can do an Internet Search or do a Search on here (EC) for more information on these Topics.

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

Thanks for your replies. I'm still fuzzy on the difference between empathy and clairsentience. They seem the same to me and I have read about them both...but by Nocturne's definitions, I guess that wasn't psychometry, no visions, etc. It was just like a wave flooded over me, a heaviness of emotion. I think it was the grief from others who had been there, in that exact spot.

Brent, yes, that happens to me at memorials, too, but this was just an area outside with markers, not an actual ongoing service. It hit me by surprise this time!

Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
4 years ago
867 posts

Have you ever had a backache, a toothache, etc. more than normal, actually pretty extreme & painful but you had no symptoms leading up to this sudden attack only to find out later on that someone close to you may have had a baby or had a tooth pulled?

Those are two examples of Clairsentience.

When defined as Clear Feeling in my humble opinion, it should state Literally Feeling.

A Person CAN be Both an Empath & a Clairsentient.

A Person CAN also be an Empath & NOT a Clairsentient.

A Person CAN also be a Clairsentient & NOT an Empath.

A Person CAN also be an Empath & NOT Have Empathy since they Mean TWO Totally Different Things,

Please don't find what I have written rude, etc. ; as that it not how I have intended it to be viewed.

Have a wonderful week,

Josette

Amaya
@amaya
4 years ago
301 posts

Hi there,

Respectfully, maybe I'm confused by your question. My understanding of "psychometry" is that it's the receiving of extra-sensory information as that information relates to a particular object. For example, you might touch a loved one's coat and immediately know/sense/see/hear something about where he had gone that day. Or, you might pick up a friend's watch and have an immediate understanding that she's having a major blowout with her mother. Maybe my definition isn't broad enough, becauseit sounds like you arereferring tothe place itself, rather than a specific object?

In my experience, certain places do pick up patterns of energy from the people who have been in that place. In my personal opinion, picking up on these patterns would probably be categorized as clairsentience rather than being included as part of the gift of the empath. As has been previously mentioned, many empaths are also clairsentient, and are able to feel/perceive patterns of energy that aren't directly connected to another person.

Along the lines of possible alternative explanations, it's possible that you somehow plugged yourself into the feelings of the people who do stillhave a strong connection to the site, along the lines of what I call tele-empathy, or the empathic gift working at a distance.

Yet another possibility, which I tend to discount but may still beworth mentioning, is that you may have felt the presence of certain souls that had yet to cross over and were still connected to the site. Again, this is rarely the case at these types of sites, due to the vast number of skilled mediums in the world and the highly-publicized nature of the tragic event, but it's possible. This would fall under the category of mediumship, technically, although many empaths do also have a natural talent for mediumship.

If your question was mainly, "does this happen to you too?", then the answer is, yes, absolutely. There are certain places that I stay away from because they just feel bad to me. I also don't buy used cars, I'm not a fan of second-hand clothing, and so on. I was having happy hour with another empath yesterday, and she mentioned that she finds hotel rooms to be terribly difficult to manage, energy-wise. You're not alone!

Cheers,

Amaya

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

Thanks, Amaya. I probably wasn't very clear with the post...I didn't think about the possibility of feeling the presence of souls there (or tele-empathy). I have had some issues with that sort of thing before and its something I have been needing to read up on. I was told by a lady who knows about these things that I was a necromancer. I still don't understand what she meant. I though that was someone who tried to bring souls back, and I certainly don't do that. I can feel presences around at times and have had to learn how to clear a space. Also had troubles with dreams about them for a while that was pretty intense. I've had people visit me in dreams before they died. Really weird.

I was thinking of the psychometry because I thought it might have to do with the actual objects. There is a stone memorial for each student. Or maybe it was just the place itself, since it hit me immediately upon stepping onto the platform.

I'm thinking it was clairsentence at this point, since I know for sure that I am clairsentient. A lot of these phenomenon seem to blur together. I need to get a better understanding.

I didn't think you were rude, Nocturne. I was just throwing the thought out there and am grateful for all the responses. I love it how the people on this site are so sensitive in their replies.

Amaya
@amaya
4 years ago
301 posts

Yeah, "necromancer" has some connotations that I don't particularly care for, particularly as they relate to the use of rituals involving dead bodies and such. "Medium" feels like the best term to me for what you experience when you feel non-physical beings present.

The terms (empath, clair-whatever, medium, shaman/healer, etc.) are actually quite distinct, but in my mind,where they all blur together is in their use. Most people who are sensitivetend to besensitive in more than one way, sort of like an athlete who is good at more than one sport. Take me for example. I'm an empath, but also have a bunch of the "clair" talents and am a medium too. When I use my abilities, though, I don't approach something like, "Okay, today I'm going to just be an empath." They all run together into one thing: my experience. For me, there'slittle value in trying to separate the abilities into different buckets, sort of like how I'd rather do push ups and pull ups at the gym rather than separating each muscle group withthe chest press machine, the bicep machine, the tricep machine, the lat machine, and so on. Musclesare made tocoordinate and work together, and I think extra-sensory abilities are the same way.

If you're looking to get a better understanding of the different areas of extra-sensory experience, however, a well-stocked "new age" bookstore might be a good place to start. Even a good-sized regular bookstore will have the basics. I recommend actually going to a store for these types of books, rather than ordering online. A book that resonates with someone else may not be right for you, and vice versa. Being able to hold the book, peruse the table of contents, and readcertain sections of the book before buying is important to make sure the book is a good fit for you. There are lots of ideas out there about "the way things are" in the extra-sensory experience, and they're all correct in a way, and all incorrect in a way. Finding what's correct for you is the key!

For me, doing the research was also helpful in that it enabled me to recognize the broad areas in which everyone does seems to have a basic agreement, because these areasthen form the foundation or common vocabulary fortalkingto others with similar abilities, sort of like how all English majors tend to read the same books, and so on. It may not be important to distinguish between clairsentience and claircognizance, for example, butI have found ituseful to know things likewhat a chakra is and how it works, and how differentschoolsof thoughtconceive of the various categories of spirit beings. It just put more tools inmy toolbox.

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

That makes all kinds of sense. Thanks. So, all the 'clairs" would fall under the category of "psychic..." and being psychic can often go along with mediumship, correct? Mediumship is what I really know nothing much about, and didn't want!

I will take your advice and look for a book. I've been studying different types of meditation. There are so many different views on that...I have a feeling this will be another area that you have to come to experience and know for yourself, as you said, "what's correct for you.."

Amaya
@amaya
4 years ago
301 posts

Yes, the clairs fall under "psychic". Mediumship is a different category, in that all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums. It can be challenging, being a medium, but I think it's pretty okay once you get the hang of it. Angel has some lessons about mediumship in the Psychic Development Classes group, if you'd like to take a look at those, andthree or four different books on the subject will probably give you plenty of information to move forward with.

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

I've never looked in the Groups section before. There's a lot in there! Thanks again.

Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

Here are some definitions:

"The ability or art of divining information about people or events associated with an object solely by touching or being near to it."

T"he power to perceive the residual information of an object and/or person by using senses."

And here is a good page (http://freespace.virgin.net/russel.steward/psychome.htm) with this quote, "The psychic has a variety of ways to receive information, Tarot, crystal balls and auras for example. But some are drawn to certain methods that work better for them, so we come to Psychometry. Psychometry is a psychic skill that involves the handling of objects in order to pick up information about that objects history or the events or emotions of people connected with that object. "

You were in close proximity to the Dairy Queen, maybe that would qualify.
Ecila
@ecila
4 years ago
898 posts

Yeah that would be a stretch. Maybe human gps would be a new category of psychic experience! We need a psychic DSM...

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book