The heightened senses of an empath

To post a reply, login or signup

The Importance of Being Jonny
@the-importance-of-being-jonny
4 years ago
794 posts
Our 5 senses are absolutely amazing. But for an empath, it can be difficult hearing what we hear, smelling what we smell. As a personal rule, I don't talk on my cell phone outside because with all the background noises it is very hard because you hear everything and its extremely difficult to filter out the background noises and focus on the voice on the other end of the call.Another of my senses that gives me trouble is my sense of smell. I pick up on things people can't smell themselves. I know when its gonna rain because I can smell a change in the weather. Body odor is extraordiarily offensive to my nose. When someone with bad BO walks by, its literally and punch in the nose. On the other spectrum of the sense of smell, I seem to be incredibly bothered by foods people cook. Some foods reek! Its so offensive, I need to walk away before I get nauseous. In addition to that, sometimes I might find pleasant smells absolutely putrid. An example of this is when I was on the bus a few months ago, a woman smelled of fresh donuts which made me absolutely nauseous. It was confusing to say the least. Who is nauseated by the smell of donuts? I was made fun of when I mentioned it to ppl. "You must be pregnant". Also on the bus, someone smelled like Froot Loops cereal and I had an instant craving resulting in me buying a box to eat. That doesn't usually happen. Smells are smells. They would only give me a craving if I were craving it, but that encounter was especially curious cuz that doesn't happen too often.Living with heightened senses can be fun but also bad cuz sometimes you experience sensory overload resulting in nausea, confusion, sickness. These are some of my experiences. What about you?Jonny
updated by @the-importance-of-being-jonny: 05/15/17 01:19:43AM
B
@b
4 years ago
252 posts
All the same I love corn chips but to smell them it reminds me of kids on a school bus eeew. Sound my ears are damaged buy an engine room and shooting but I'll hear a wolf howling take my .5 bread out and she does not hear it at all. With my wife at a loud dinner joint I asked what is that music in the background she couldn't hear it till we went out side Now like I said I have hearing loss that is on the edge of needing aids and I hear this other stuff she says why don't you hear me from 2' away. Idk trust me I've heard all the joked
Gin S
@gin-s
4 years ago
225 posts

I think you are a highly sensitive person as well as empath. Hsp for short. I know I am. I can smell things more then others can, I can hear things others can't sometimes. I also have sensitive eyes, there is one house I pass on the way to my grandmas.I cannot look at this house because it is way too bright. It is an ugly orangish yellow that feels like someone just stuck a flashlight in my face. Way too bright to look at and the color is just disgusting to me. Not fun having strong sense sometimes.

4 years ago
794 posts

Isn't that weird?

4 years ago
794 posts

Outside of the senses, a lot of things bug me just by being around it. Like another person's nervous behavior. Someone pacing back and forth in front of me, or rocking in a chair that doesn't move, it irks me so bad like a fly bugging around my face. i'm highly sensitive to a lot.

4 years ago
794 posts

No, I don't feel vibrations when I hear noises. But I do hear faint noises other people may overlook.

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

The other day, I was walking in a shop and they played music, and this song just starting screeching, like a high pitched noise of pain, in my ears, and I just wanted it to stop...I almost wanted to RUN out of the shop, because it was almost unbearable. It was weird.

Gin S
@gin-s
4 years ago
225 posts

What gets to me is hearing someone's bass thumping really loud but not being able to hear the rest of the song. It drives me crazy, it'slike an irregular heart beat pounding through the wall. So glad to not have neighbours only a wall away anymore.

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Yeah, some noises really get to me - it's like I can't think. ;)

4 years ago
794 posts

me three! I moved all the way across the country to escape the sound of music being blared, the bass just thumping. No one can possibly understand what it is like to be an empath.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book