What's you culture?

To post a reply, login or signup

WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
I'm just wondering if this is an empathic thing or something else completely. I'm American and I love learning about different cultures and how people live, but I feel like I'm drawn more to Japanese culture. I'm not just speaking about loving anime (which I do), I mean everything about the Japanese way of life. I don't know if that's the home I feel I need to get to but in some way I feel more like I'd belong there rather than here. Or at least the way it used to be, the more traditional Japan. I see that empaths are more connected to the spiritual realm than others and longing fir home can be tgat side of life. So my question is, other than that side that we are more connected to, is there a place/culture you feel more to be your place than your own culture? Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone in this?
updated by @windwolf: 05/15/17 01:19:31AM
Gin S
@gin-s
4 years ago
225 posts

I love learning about other cultures as well.I am canadian, born and raised. The big mixing pot of cultures.I am most drawn to india myself. I like the colourful clothes, their spiritual beliefs, the 3 hour movies they make : )

MaryAnne
@maryanne
4 years ago
30 posts
Hi there!I can surely relate. To belonging somewhere else and about Japan also. I watched this Japanese soap opera once - Hana Kimi. It was quite ridiculous yet funny and I liked it anyway. I wanted to go to Japan after that. I also grew up with cartoon Digimon. They didn't show Pokemon in Estonia that time. Thats where I'm from :)But MY country has to be Ireland. Since I first read a book where the main character went to Ireland and found her place there. I was like 8 or 9 that time.I love Irish music and I love the irish accent and I love that the are lot of redheads in there :DI dont know why. But I know it's my country where I'd like to go someday.I have such high hopes about the place that I'm afraid to be disappointed once I'm there...Hope not ;)I also use to feel connected to Spain. Still am in a way.Also. Everytime I read a book or watch a movie about a foreign country, I always want to visit that place. Is that like with you too?
WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
Yeah I think so. I would love to visit many places on Earth and learn more, but I just feel this deep connection to Japan in particular
WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
Yeah I know about today's Japanese culture, I still would like to go there. I meant to say that the values and traditions of Japan is what I connect to. I feel like I was born in the wrong country in the wrong period in time
WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
Do you sometimes feel that you belong there instead of Canada?
MaryAnne
@maryanne
4 years ago
30 posts
Same thing with me and Ireland :)
Zeca
@zeca
4 years ago
116 posts

I do relate, I feel very drawn to other cultures, I love travel and want to go so many places, and I've been wanting to go to China since I can remember. I really hope to get there one day. I also love Japanese culture, but what is more is that home doesn't feel like a particular country, but rather, asian men, or asian eyes and black hair, and native americans too, as they are an evolution over the Beiring strait. I've wanted black hair since I was little too, and I am so the opposite, born blue eyed and fair. But I feel I have been in a lot of places, and many people, though I don't have memories of it, just tendencies, preferences and longings.

The thing is though, that I feel the entirety of this world is home, even if I feel an affinity for certain places. And I think for me it is more a time I want to return to than a place. Specifically I would wander free, and would go to those times that there are no guns and few if any fences, preferably rock fences if there must be any, or wood to keep wolves out. I would walk and walkabout.

I don't do that well here and now. I don't like phones much, mail and paperwork are ignored for the most part. I feel like everything about this time is making me sick. The immobility [taking a car to get out of the city to go hiking, grates] the poisons in our homes, food, immunizations et al. The freaking boundaries! The fact that so many people seem happy with them, while they make me weep with frustration.

I do like writing on the computer, ice cream, showers and toast. I need to be here too I guess. But I'd go back and breathe clean air, roam and roll in the hay [farmers are a turn on] for a lifetime or five, gladly.

Wanted to mention I do a lot of escaping. In books my favorite are fantasies in a time I described. I love foreign films and write my story of the same sorts of times as well.

I could go on, I'm sure.

WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
I understand wanting to go to a different time.
WindWolf
@windwolf
4 years ago
117 posts
I kind of envy your love for the culture you were born into. I just don't feel that pride in America, and being a young black man, I don't even feel I big connection with my African roots. This lost feeling has been I part of me for as long as I can remember
Gin S
@gin-s
4 years ago
225 posts

I don't know that it is that strong for me, I don't feel that I should be there. I don't feel as though I was there either. I more feel I belong in a place with horses for vehicles and more physical work rather than mental stress like in the past here. Canada can be overwhelming in present times. Too busy and rushed for me. For travel I am most drawn to places like france, italy, ireland, etc to see how they're lives differ from mine. I am not drawn to tourist resorts or landmarks like alot of people.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book