Confusion

To post a reply, login or signup

The Importance of Being Jonny
@the-importance-of-being-jonny
4 years ago
794 posts

I've been meaning to make a topic about this but, ironically, I keep forgetting to. Needless to say, when I am in public around many people, I become confused and I can't remember things that are on my mind. One example is at the supermarket. I can have a list of things I need to buy in my head and the moment I get to the supermarket I forget everything. Not only that, it's like my mind has been wiped clean. I don't know what about being around people causes such a memory wipe. I was certain this was the reason why I could never focus in math class. Every other class I seem to pass, but math, regardless what I am learning, I can't for the life of me remember anything. Now it's beginning to affect me at work. I work the register now where I work and on some days it gets busy and there are so many customers needing help. The other day I became forgetful and couldn't remember that scrap material was .50 cents a lb and a customer's scrap came out to 2 lbs and my manager had to tell me that it totals to $1. It's an understatement to say I don't like this. I don't enjoy it. I can't be out in public either working or schooling because I can become confused and spacey. What causes that? I can't necessarily explain to people it could be due to my being an empath. However, I was able to deduce it only happens when I am around people. When I am talking to people about something that's bothering me, they dominate the conversation because I can't seemingly remember what was bothering me. I know I have to vent, but what to say is not in my head.

updated by @the-importance-of-being-jonny: 05/15/17 12:21:33PM
Zeca
@zeca
4 years ago
116 posts

Happens, yes, but doesn't have to be lots of people. Sometimes certain people, even one is enough.

I walk the most the isles at the grocery store. I need the visual prompt and I still will lose track and have to backtrack for things that may pop unbidden back into my head. Costco feels very convoluted and take my usual route, and kids racing about [mine] can make it trickier, so if I can leave them home, I do.

Math and I are not compatible. On good days and trying hard, I can do concepts, but basic arithmetic is very slow going.

I've spent the last say six years feeling slow, mentally, but I like something I read here recently, that we are functioning as us, and it is different, and we have to find a way to go with that. Make it work for us and try not to compare ourselves with those that are not constantly bombarded with everyone's input. That would slow anyone down. I'm sure there are ways you are very fast, even with people around.

And yeah, we are not going to explain ourselves for a mere hiccup in calculations. Or, lol, repetitive blanks.

As for people dominating conversations, I tend to just let them. I forget things I might say, I know this, so I just back off and listen. We listen, but I've come to see that I can't expect the same people I listen for to listen to me. And I generally know better than to spill it to them, though I've made mistakes. Still sometimes, out of somewhere, someone will surface and listen to me. It may be reciprocal, it may not. Or maybe I just tend to look for people outside my immediate circles to trust.

I feel a little like I am babbling ,but there you go.

Dice
@dice
4 years ago
284 posts

I have the same prdblem. There are also times when I know what I want to say in my head.. but cannot put it into words... because there are none. For me it is almost a sensory overload.. and my mind dumps the rest. Ginko Biloba? I have yet to find something that will help.. so I got a job that has less people. It helps keep me focused.. I love helping people but find it hard to be efficient. Brain games helped me a bit for focus..

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

I forget stuff too, like words, things I was going to say - or I can be walking around and thinking, and then completely forgot what I was just thinking about.

I think it's sensory overload. It's like the mind is doing lots of stuff at once. I try to think of something really peaceful, or slow down mentally, because with all the people and noise, it's like your being pushed really fast.

For me doing shielding for the mind works, but I guess doing memory exercises would work too. But sometime we just need to take a break and breathe, you know?

The Importance of Being Jonny
@the-importance-of-being-jonny
4 years ago
794 posts

The people in our everyday lives have no CLUE what it's like to be one of us. I really get judgment from all sides because of how I am, but if only they were in my shoes for the day.

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Yeah, and we tend to go through life judging ourselves because we are so different without knowing why...at least until we find the reason, that what it was like for me.

DevOnEarth
@devonearth
4 years ago
84 posts

I use the term 'mommy-brain' lol. It is true, it has gotten slightly worse since I am responsible for another life now, and they don't need to know I've always been this way :)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book