Poll related to chemical and food choices

LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

Hello everyone, It's been a while since I've been on. It's great to see everyone and see that the community looks to be doing well. I was reading through some comments of others and randomly got fascinated and had to ask a few different questions. I don't want this to negatively effect anyone, but I would appreciate anyone interested in responding. I would also ask that you answer the questions without reading other people's comments, just because I'm wanting a pure response...

1) How many of you have some sort of chemical/ man-made/ processed product sensitivity? Whether it's to food, to shampoo, cleaners, anything. I would like to know how long you've known about this sensitivity, and what your symptoms/ side effects are.

2) What are your dietary choices? And why do you eat that way/ what motivates you to eat the way you do. (It's fine if you don't have a reason)

3) Superheroes and/or Superpowers do you relate to the most? Why do you like that character and/or superpower? EDIT: Or just movie characters or book characters. Any character you've seen or read about that you really connected with.

4) If you know, what is your MBTI type (if you don't know, don't worry about this question)

Thank you in advance to anyone who comments!

updated by @loconnoro: 10/31/18 08:38:02AM
LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

I don't know if it's really appropriate for to answer but I will haha...

1) I'm sensitive to a lot of shampoos, soaps, chemicals in food, and chemicals in medicine. I've known about my food sensitivities since middle school, and the others came shortly afterwards.

2) I'm vegan now, I was vegetarian last year, and I stopped eating red meat about 3 years ago. I was never a fan of steak and red meat, it always had an odd effect on me that I don't know how to explain it. I didn't like red meat before I found the term "Empath" and after finding the term I decided to listen to my body and stop eating red meat.

3) I like Martian Manhunter and Jean Grey the most (especially Jean Grey). I love the way they can relate to people, and read minds, and how their strongest powers are related to being in their own or others' heads. I feel like I relate to them a lot since I have a fascination with other people. I feel like I pick up on not only other people's emotions, but their mentalities and thought processes very well. I can understand people very well, but I've always felt like an outcast or someone who doesn't belong most of my life, so I relate to both of those characters in that way as well.

4) I type as INFJ.

updated by @loconnoro: 10/30/18 09:06:35PM
GardenTiger
GardenTiger
@gardentiger
3 weeks ago
18 posts

1) I don't have an allergy so to say, but I notice how sugar and refined products make me feel sluggish and shiftless, but I believe those affect all humans but most of us don't really notice it

2) Vegan, for ethical reasons mainly,but I find it's the dietary choice that gives me the most energy and feels best for me, best choice I ever made.

3) I really don't like superheroes at all :D

4) INFJ as well!! Glad to meet another one here, I think plenty of us could be INFJ here to be honest :)

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 weeks ago
1,345 posts

1) Severe MCS. Can't tolerate formaldehyde, paint, vinyl, laminate, plywood, carpet, or new anything. Can't go in a new building for about 2 yrs. Allergic to insect stings, pollens, molds, many drugs, but no foods (had lots of testing, conventional and alternative). Due to Lyme Disease.

2) High nutrition diet due to advanced Lyme disease with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Lots of protein shakes and smoothies w/ greens and fruits and kefir, organic baby food. Aim to get 3 times normal nutrition in easy to digest form. No junk food.

3) Not into superheros at all. I like the quiet unsung, everyday heroes :-)

4) MBTI type INFJ-T. Enneagram type 1w2. (There are previous threads on this you can look up. Lots of INFJ and INFP here, as you would expect with empaths).

What is your thesis on this? Are you thinking we would be more physically sensitive as well as in other ways? Interesting idea....

sher_ellie
sher_ellie
@sher-ellie
3 weeks ago
5 posts
1) Sugar causes me intense headaches. Not only that but it makes me super sluggish too and I can't concentrate on anything.
2) I'm vegetarian, have been for the past 3 years. If I can survive without killing any living being, I do it. That's just it. My energy is still sh*t, like it was before, because I'm bad at creating a sensible schedule and sticking to it.
3) Since I'm overweight, plainly bad at being a very basic responsible adult in general, and I still haven't figured out how to be a balanced sensible empath, I don't think I relate to anyone with powers that may resemble my own senses. I guess I could be a bigger Jessica Jones minus the alcoholism. I think she has people dumping their problems on her all the time too. She has a huge heart and tries to help people even though it won't end well for her. Hopefully someone has seen the Netflix show here
4) No idea what that is, will google though. Still pretty new in this. I bet it's like something obvious that I've read before and my brain just won't cooperate for some reason.

Also, I totally read other people's comments. Sorry. Mostly because I wanted to see what the last question was about. It seems that everybody knows about it. I resisted googling cool superheroes too because my senses have their own days and times that they decide to remind they're there so, I sure am not a cool empath person lol. Also, why does nobody use "lol" here
LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

Hahaha you're all good @sher-ellie it's fine. I wonder the same thing with "lol", I'm always nervous to use it haha. No you're fine though, I actually just edited that to add "regular" characters from movies and books as well. I don't know why I didn't think that part through lol. I

Thank you @gardentiger and @cheshire-cat for respond also.

I forget that not everyone grew up in a comic-loving house haha. I probably wouldn't be into comics at all if it weren't for my father and brothers enjoying the movies, tv shows, and comic books. I watched all the films and overheard countless conversations about them so I ended up finding characters that I really liked.

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
3 weeks ago
150 posts

Being a male empath my answers are a little different.

1) Sensitivity to chemicals as well as radiation from what I call synthetic electrical generation. This is energy coming from high tension wires and transfer stations. It's very different from electrical storms. It isn't the electromagnetic fields so much as it's the radiation coming from them. Within the field it's concentrated, but it's the radiation that I feel. Wifi is getting stronger and I notice it more now days. 

2) I eat anything I can because I hate going to the grocery store.

3) Daredevil and Aquaman. Daredevils super powers are that he can see better than normal people do because he's blind, and that he can take a beating. Aquaman is just cool. I want to live underwater and talk to fish all day. I have a danger sense like spiderman. This is what has protected me and the people around me the most. No one knows about it because the danger doesn't happen. I see it before hand and do something to stop it. This includes dangers from chemical/bacterial/viral exposure. Having said that, I've also seen a lot of dead bodies lately. I'm not always there in time, or can do anything. I pray a lot. That's my superpower.

4) INFP-T 

Also, I don't LOL, I GTMS.

michelle
@michelle
2 weeks ago
28 posts

LoconnorO:

Hello everyone, It's been a while since I've been on. It's great to see everyone and see that the community looks to be doing well. I was reading through some comments of others and randomly got fascinated and had to ask a few different questions. I don't want this to negatively effect anyone, but I would appreciate anyone interested in responding. I would also ask that you answer the questions without reading other people's comments, just because I'm wanting a pure response...

1) How many of you have some sort of chemical/ man-made/ processed product sensitivity? Whether it's to food, to shampoo, cleaners, anything. I would like to know how long you've known about this sensitivity, and what your symptoms/ side effects are.

2) What are your dietary choices? And why do you eat that way/ what motivates you to eat the way you do. (It's fine if you don't have a reason)

3) Superheroes and/or Superpowers do you relate to the most? Why do you like that character and/or superpower? EDIT: Or just movie characters or book characters. Any character you've seen or read about that you really connected with.

4) If you know, what is your MBTI type (if you don't know, don't worry about this question)

Thank you in advance to anyone who comments!

@loconnoro Hello. Very interesting that you posted these questions because I was going to do something similar in my 1st thread here at the community. I'll withhold why until you're ready to disclose your interest in doing so. Now, onto your questions....

1. Artificial fragrances make me go bonkers and feel ill...I stick to essential oils or no fragrances at all. Deodorant or standard commercial soaps make me itch and dry out my skin. I use only hard milled soaps with natural ingredients. Only use salt crystal for deodorant.

Most meds are not tolerated...period.

Make many of my own cleaners but can use and like Lysol's H2O2 cleaners and wipes.

Processed food can make me ill, causing pseudo-allergic-like and delayed responses...hours later. Stimulants aren't good for me , either.

Sensitive to particulate inhalants.

I think I'm allergic to some people; who, technically, are man-made. 😁

2. I'm genetically histamine intolerant [1% of population] meaning my body is impaired in breaking down excess histamine. This guides my food choices and how I balance my intakes, if I do eat high histamine foods.

3. What a fun question! Gosh,where to start?

Superheroes: The first of these type movies were interesting because I read comic books as a kid. But now, I feel they are over represented....give me a good drama, with good chacter development any time.

I liked Batman because his gadgets were interesting and I liked the Batmobile!

But the comic book character I related to the most was Peter Parker as Spiderman. Both Peter and Spiderman were more real...flawed like all of us. Each struggled with their life and weren't spectacular in personality or powers....compared to others whether human or superhero...they were allowed to bumble at times.

Book characters: Oh man, Sherlock Holmes and the many interpretations in TV and movies....He's just so darn smart!

I like strong woman characters...

Well, Irene Adler, that woman, who could outsmart Holmes and earned his admiration.

George Elliot's female characters....and the author, herself. She was such a saucy woman!

Love Jane Eyre..again this has to do with intelligence.

Children's books [or are they?] :

Lyra Blaqua of , The Golden Compass." A brave, clever girl who is fiercely independent.

Too many other's to name in other genres.

4. ENFP....anyother's out there?

updated by @michelle: 10/31/18 12:15:43PM
LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
2 weeks ago
165 posts

HAHA I was honestly going to guess ENFP from your response @michelle. I really don't know what exactly pushed me to make this poll.

I've just been fascinated by different similarities I've seen between myself and others throughout this forum, and I wanted to see a lot of them in one place I guess. I think part of me also just feels so out of place on a regular basis, I find it easy to understand people and the world, the way it all works together. I have my intuition which guides a lot of things I do, but I also have no understanding of it at all either. I don't know if this was me looking for a closer relationship (even if just online) with someone I can relate to, even though I know all of my most meaningful and fulfilling relationships were never with people like me, just very open, honest, and accepting people.

The first question stems from how much I struggle with avoiding chemicals from my sensitivities everyday, from other people smoking or vaping, to deodorant and toothpaste, to things that are in food.

A lot of my food choices are made because of my sensitivities to chemicals, but I also cut meat out because I respond in an odd way to it. I guess it's an energetic thing? I'm not sure what it is to be honest, but I wanted to see who else has to play around with their diet, or is focused in some way on their diet (so far everyone lol). 

The Character or Superhero question comes from what I just look up to I guess haha. I choose my characters based off of what I relate to the most. I relate to a lot of weird characters who are alienated and have psychic/telepathic abilities haha. Really what I relate to is that they experience everyone, or can, and that really hits home for me. I was wondering what others relate to, just to see I guess haha. Actually with Jean Grey specifically, I looked into her back story and she would have to isolate herself to be able to deal with life and her experiences, which is something I relate to tremendously. She always felt like an outcast, her overall story is a mess, but appealing to me haha. I know when I lose my temper it's really bad for whoever is on the receiving end, which is why I make an effort to never allow it. Most people just cuss and become chaotic, but when I lose my temper people see how much I hold back and how manipulative I can be with what I experience (has only happened twice to date). Both people ended up crying (me too because it felt horrible to do that to someone, and I was picking up on the fact that they were genuinely crying) and eventually changing their ways.

And the last one was just because I love MBTI lol.

Thanks so much for responding! I would love to hear why you wanted to ask something similar!

updated by @loconnoro: 10/31/18 01:27:48PM
michelle
@michelle
2 weeks ago
28 posts
Thanks so much for responding! I would love to hear why you wanted to ask something similar!
-------------

@loconnoro Thanks for your response and insight into yourself.

As to your question above....Let's wait and see when the thread's up.

Cheers!
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 weeks ago
780 posts
Hi @loconnoro...welcome back!
1-I have a lot of sensitivities....mainly medicines. Some which have the opposite effect on me, for instance, NyQuil.....makes me feel like I’ve drank a pot of coffee, lol.
2-My diet changes frequently....whatever I crave I eat. I did however go through a spell when I could not stomach any kind of meat..(kinda relates back to question 1). I did feel a lot clearer then, but after about a year, started eating small amounts of meat back into the diet. I do always crave carbs...all the time.
3-superheroes....hmmm. The only one that comes to mind is cat woman...lol
4-INFJ here

Blessings
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 weeks ago
780 posts
Geez....after reading the posts, it made me think of all the lols I used. 😂...didn’t realize I used that so much....funny.....too much texting I guess
sher_ellie
sher_ellie
@sher-ellie
2 weeks ago
5 posts

So, two days after I said I would look into it, I actually did! No, seriously, I usually forget about these things but it piques  my interest. Color me surprised at the accuracy of this. 

4) INTP-A! 

updated by @sher-ellie: 11/01/18 09:18:07AM
LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
2 weeks ago
165 posts

HAHA Awesome! I love MBTI personally, and I find it actually applicable in the real world. I can type strangers, so I really appreciate that it's "usable" if you will haha. @sher-ellie

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 weeks ago
1,345 posts

@catwhisperer,

AWWW... which cat is this? it's been awhile  since you changed your avatar. I love orange kitties; they have quirky personalities! :-)

----------------------------------------

@LoconnorO,

Have you taken the "Big Five" personality test? Many psychologists are replacing the MBTI with it, saying it is more accurate. I still prefer MBTI, but the Big 5 is interesting, and they say it is 100% accurate in predicting your politics too...

LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
2 weeks ago
165 posts

I did take that one... it doesn't interest me as much MBTI, like you said, but I think it's just because it focuses on slightly different things that it's more accurate. I also don't like how it doesn't seem to have the "groups" that you fall into, at least from what I saw... Although I saved my results lol... @cheshire-cat

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 weeks ago
780 posts
@cheshire-cat
That is Lello....I updated her pic since the one I had was when she was a kitten 😊
Kate T
Kate T
@kate
2 weeks ago
151 posts

1) Very specific sensitivities.

Short list: avocado (but not all fruits), chocolate (but not all types), milk (but not from all animals), table salt and white sugar, petroleum smell, meat from animals in heat, fresh coriander, some white flesh fish and tuna (yet I like the raw versions), fake mint aroma or fake fragrances, and doughs/bread with a lot of bad things in them, like the crap they use for the many popular pizza brands (they make me feel very sluggish, even if the product tastes good, the after-feeling is not good)

Long list:

Certain avocado fruits, not all, but especially if over-ripen and not really well washed. It comes down most probably to what they've been "sprayed" with. My stomach doesn't seem to appreciate the fruit as we have it nowdays too much either though, so I just stay clear from it.

Chocolate, especially if old. But I don't have any reaction at all to cocoa nibs or powder, or to normal, organic milk, or to cane sugar or cocoa butter. It's simply cheap, old chocolate that i don't tolerate well (I get small red itchy "pimple" like thingies on my body, stomach area and legs, possibly hands too). Basically I can tell which ones have been deposited in not so good conditions, it probably comes down to a more sensitive liver. 

Milk from certain breeds of cows that seem to trigger a worse acne reaction than others, although it might not be that necessarily. I don't know if it comes down to casein sensitivity and levels (since here they mainly have Holsteins), or to the hormones/feed/antibiotics I KNOW they give to the animals. It's absolutely impossible for me to eat any Cheddars/yoghurts etc made from the cows here unless i want a face full of blemishes for approximately 2-3 days. 

Table salt and white sugar. I really try to avoid those. I mean salt is needed, but i try to limit my intake. 

Petroleum smell. I absolutely hate the car and exhaust gas smell, that remains in the interior of the car and is worsened by those fake "air refreshers". Doesn't this make most people sick? The smell in a small confined place. Is that what dogs suffer from, that you see them with their head outside the window? I wish I could do that lol. I kinda learned to suck it up since cars are necessities, but it's a big issue where they use low/bad quality oil and don't have air filters. AKA everywhere in the developing countries. I've had smell-driven car sickness since little, combined with some motion sickness maybe. I just go into a state where I don't drink and I don't eat even for like 2 days. I learned to adapt to that, but it happened multiple times with class trips when i was younger.

The next 2 ones are shared by quite a large number of people i heard (that heavily dislike them):

Meat from animals in heat, such as from pig, cows etc. Can't eat it, i taste them (and sometimes smell) from a mile. They are not allowed to sell meat from reproducing pigs, but they still do of course, they put them in all the sausages, pre-cooked burgers, and others. Or maybe is it because of the chemicals they are fed too? I just had a nasty surprise today with fresh meat, was only able to tell it was form a boar (breeding male pig) after i cooked it.

Fresh coriander. 

Fake mint aroma. I could chew the real mint leaves all day, but I find it bad tasting if cooked or if they come as aroma added in bars/chocolate, or minty alcoholic drinks, and in fact I really dislike the fake smell as well (minty air refreshers... a big no no if in a small space and that's all I can smell). Basically, as someone here stated, I find many artificial fragrances really bad and "invasive". 

Coffee, black tea have pretty fast effects on me. If I drink a cup of coffee at 7, I'm not going to sleep till 3 unless I am really tired. I will only drink either of those with a "special" occasion. I don't drink, but I can resist quite a bit when I do. But it depends. 

I don't really know otherwise. People notice about me I have "healthier" eating habits, but I'm not sure honestly, i eat what i feel my body needs and avoid what I sense as... well, disgusting. This does include a wide variety of processed products and meats. I can easily tell the difference between sugar fed or sugar added honeys and natural ones, rich bioactive yoghurts or drinks vs "fake" microbial culture ones, sun-ripen apples vs greenhouse ones (or other fruits... that lack that tasty sour-sweet tone), "empty" mushrooms, bad-water added wines or heavy on sulphites and many others, such as water quality in onions and garlic and the subsequent sweet or bitter taste they end up with. But that is because I've had the real things, unaltered, so I can compare. Humans keep worsening the taste and qualities/pH of water as well, and that in turn affects the quality of everything (vegetable, fruits more immediately noticeable, but affects the quality of alcoholic drinks and fermentation too, pretty greatly). 

This risks becoming a world devoid of a whole dimensions of tastes and smells. And unfortunately, I feel like as I grow up I will get pronounced sensitivities to more foods. And in turn my kids will have even more if this goes on. And so on. The world we're living in. 

Certain awful types of bread or doughs make me really sluggish and sleepy, and I can get skin rashes. It's a reason I gave up ordering pizza. Otherwise, I have absolutely no issue with gluten or normal breads. It's the shitty thing they deliberately poison people with that they sell and for some reason people buy. I know someone who became gluten intolerant after eating those cheap breads in excess for a year. A friggin year, at 20 years old. Is that normal? Oh surely it must be! 

2) Nothing special. I like making smoothies from time to time and drinking herbal teas though, and I don't mean weird chinese, indian etc blends or fruit infusions. Not that the chinese etc don't have good things, they do, but if you think they export their quality stuff in our supermarkets... maybe one can find some that are better I guess in their speciality shops, I am not sure. However, I mean stuff like camomille, linden, hypericum... and a couple others if i get my hands on them :D People should promote what can grow naturally in their regions. Instead, many lack any knowledge of plants. Even some who go vegan, they only know what mass-media is kind enough to tell them, and live pretty much on an imported soy diet and complementary vitamin powders. Going back to tea, not gonna do it daily though, only when I feel like it. I absolutely have to eat fruits and something sweet (honey) though on a daily basis. And I can't imagine what life would be without sea fruits or oily fish regularly. And... european walnuts (in hulls, the green-yellowish ones are the best). Autumn only though, for the rest of the year we get the ripe ones. 

3) Not sure. I like and admire many ideas, but I'm probably not familiar with all superheroes. Nonetheless, I used to like Nightcrawler the teenager version, and power-wise, Psylocke. I did read comics a bit, but mangas more. And books, much more. I appreciate strong characters who remain true to themselves despite difficulties and retain their faith or aspirations. Karl May's books that I read when younger (the Winnetou triology and some others) and Tuareg by A V Figueroa are 2 things that come to mind. The third, an adventure books series featuring a very inventive group of young people (friends) investigating autochthon "mythical" or "legend" places in initially scientific ways and discovering there's more to it than the eye can see. 

4) Different ages, different results... 

updated by @kate: 11/03/18 06:30:56PM
TigerLily
TigerLily
@tigerlily
one week ago
443 posts
1.) Soy affects me bad and messes with my hormones. Pharmacy meds give me anxiety and feel side effects that others typically dont, so I often avoid meds unless it's an antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to refined carbs and sugars, which leads to my second response below. Have to use sensitive laundry detergent, and scent free body washes. Scent free lotions in winter. If I dont skin will itch and I get eczema patches. Perfumes give me headaches. Can't wear fashion earrings, has to be real silver or gold, although hypoallergenic types may work. But not all.

2) my dietary choices younger were not so meat involved. Now I eat more meat, due to glucose issues and the high protein helps to stabilize. I have tried over the past few months to go more veggies and low carb, and it's not working, I still get frequent hypoglycemia . When I have meat and veggies, I feel more calm andown glucose levels are normal. Sugars and carbs are my enemy, and can have fruit sparingky. But I emotionally eat carbs when stress and anxiety are high and it makes me miserable. Chips are usually my weakness with that. Been working slowly to go back to very low carb again as I feel the best.

3.) I love She-ra and Jean grey. Yes, she-ra. A cartoon, but I love her princess warrior and power. Jean Grey for her ability to communicate telepathically and move objects with her mind.

4) I don't remember, but it did start with an I

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book