The Empath Experience- An Empath Physician's View

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
933 posts

I stumbled upon this article by accident. And I found it interesting and wanted to share it as it touched on a lot of the discussions that often pop up on this community forum. It's a good read, and very informative. And I found it interesting that the author is both an M.D. and an empath. Since traditional medicine doesn't really recognize the empath reality, I found the author's perspective pretty interesting. 

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/empath-sensitive-person-guide/

Update: I really liked the detail on what the linked author provided and think that many of you will find it relevant and helpful. Unfortunately, as Elise noted below, the author appears to have completely plagiarized Elise's own prior published work. While enjoying the article, please know that all the credit for the content needs to be given to Elise.

updated by @hop-daddy: 07/16/18 04:07:28PM
EliseLebeau
EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
4 months ago
420 posts

It is unfortunate that this author copied the bulk of my Empath Survival Program (including the title)

https://www.eliselebeau.com/empath-survival-program (published 2007)

and my PhD thesis

https://www.eliselebeau.com/the-empath-experience (2012)

and sold it as her own.

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
933 posts

Ouch. I am very sorry to hear that. I apologize for unknowingly promoting your article as presented by someone else.

EliseLebeau
EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
4 months ago
420 posts

No worries!  I just thought I'd set the record straight, at least in my own space :)

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,352 posts

Hi Elise.

I am so glad you posted!  I PMd you in Jan., Feb., and again in May of this year about my not being able to PM someone (I was not the only one) and got no reply, so I was really worried about you, and posted asking others if they had heard from you, but nobody seemed to know, at least not then. I am not on FB, so I asked people to check there too, but did not hear back. Phew! Maybe my PMs to you never went through either. I am very relieved.

About your thesis and book: Isn't there some way to legally stop Dr. Orloff and be compensated for what she earned from copying your work?  I would think there must be some kind of legal recourse, and I'll bet many lawyers would do something like this pro bono, especially since Dr. Orloff is widely recognized as t.h.e. expert on being empathic. This should be exposed. I have read many things by her over the years and am now wondering how much of it was stolen from others, including her many best selling books! Did you not copyright any of it? This really stinks! I am so sorry this happened to you. 

Sincerely indignent on your behalf,

C. Cat

updated by @cheshire-cat: 07/16/18 03:06:42PM
EliseLebeau
EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
4 months ago
420 posts

Thanks C. Cat! I'm still here :)

I could try to sue her but that would result in: 

1) Financial compensation, which is not meaningful to me.  I didn't publish to get rich.

2) An injunction to prevent her book from being further published, so she does not profit from my work.  Which also goes against my intention to reach as many Empath as possible with my message.

Either way, it's not aligned with my soul's purpose and it won't mend my broken heart.  And tears stream down whenever I think about this hijacking of my message, so I'd be a mascara mess in court!!!

When people google Empath Survival or Empath Experience, they find her book, not my web site.  But at least they find *something*.  

Thanks for your emotional support.

EliseLebeau
EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
4 months ago
420 posts

Hop Daddy:

I stumbled upon this article by accident. And I found it interesting and wanted to share it as it touched on a lot of the discussions that often pop up on this community forum. It's a good read, and very informative. And I found it interesting that the author is both an M.D. and an empath. Since traditional medicine doesn't really recognize the empath reality, I found the author's perspective pretty interesting. 

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/empath-sensitive-person-guide/

Update: I really liked the detail on what the linked author provided and think that many of you will find it relevant and helpful. Unfortunately, as Elise noted below, the author appears to have completely plagiarized Elise's own prior published work. While enjoying the article, please know that all the credit for the content needs to be given to Elise.

Thank you so much.  Made my cry...

updated by @eliselebeau: 07/16/18 04:15:50PM
Curious Child
Curious Child
@curious-child
4 months ago
80 posts

This is good article, though when I started to first learn about empaths and look at many different sources it feels like this exactly same text was on many sites and blogs already, with only minor changes. This one just seem to summarize many of them in one larger one.

Bill Walker
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
4 months ago
742 posts

Elise after reading the string here it sounds as if you are OK with letting karma do its thing, which is fine if that is what you desire? However, when a person writes something they automatically own the copyright, meaning they do not have to purchase it. The only thing the law says is that you must be able to prove being the first person to write the work in question. And it sounds as if you can! 

Just know that whatever you choose to do I/we here on EC support you. This site has been a godsend for many people. If this helps, over the years there has been so much information compiled on this site that you could probably write ten books if you wanted to go back and draw this information out from the past.

Good luck, and we all love you! 

EliseLebeau
EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
4 months ago
420 posts

Thanks so much Bill :) 

I know I technically own the copyright.  I also think I would likely win a law suit. 

But the determining factor is this one: it would be detrimental to my happiness.  I need to conserve my time and energy to work my 2 wonderful jobs and be the best mom I can be to my son. 

At the end of the day, I have nothing left for a lawsuit.  

The support I have received from the EC members has put a healing balm over my broken heart. 

It will heal.

in love

Elise

Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
150 posts

@eliselebeau- You should consider it a great compliment to have your work and your ideas spread. At least they get the message, yes, but the work you have done has had a great impact on many. Over all, your spirit has changed the world and will continue to do so. My family has benefited greatly because of what you do. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your effort. Your payment for it may be deferred until you can receive it.  It will come and it will be much more than money. Whether you get credit or not, you still get the reward. In a sense, she's doing you a favor by proliferating your message. People can fool people, but God knows our heart.

LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

@eliselebeau I think it's incredible that you've done a thesis related to Empaths. I've always felt very conflicted because I'm a massive lover of science and "cold hard facts", however I also experience what I do as an Empath. It's always been rewarding for me when my friends, typically very intelligent but calculated, rational, and "physically based" (I don't know what else to call it, I hope you get what I'm saying haha) recognize that I'm "odd" or I do things that aren't normal, or I pick up on things and it's startles them. I take it as validation that I'm not crazy. With that being said, I appreciate the community you've made because I don't have anyone in my life who experiences life anything like I do, and this community is the closest thing I have to being myself with other people.

Anyway I meant to start the comment with admiration of the fact that you took a "logical" and science-type route with the term "empath". In all the science circles I'm apart of, most people would laugh at me if I were to be honest about what I experience, however I don't know if that's because I'm in biochemistry and microbiology groups. I find it inspiring that you did some sort of research on the topic because I plan on one day doing the same. I'm wanting to look more into consciousness, magnetic fields of people, animals, and plants, and try to understand emotions roles on those fields. I'd also like to find maybe a mechanism people like us use to pick that information up from others (I have a theory that it's just our nervous system reacting to the magnetic fields of other people, or maybe even other things... however that would be very challenging to test I guess). Anyway, I just wanted to share my appreciation with you for not only making this community, but also providing a blimp of hope I won't be totally laughed (even though I still expect a lot of ridicule.)

sher_ellie
sher_ellie
@sher-ellie
3 weeks ago
5 posts

Okay guys, it's all cool she apprently "synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with cutting edge knowledge of intuition, energy, and spirituality"! Joking, of course. Can we like take a minute here, just comment on that sentence, whatever that means even?! I mean, what is cutting edge knowlegde of intuition? Is there not cutting edge knowledge of it? How do you get cutting edge knowledge of it? That's just a confusing sentence. 

Both of my parents are in the field of psychology and let me tell you now, there's a huge stigma against communities like these and there's very little peer reviewed research on it. I don't think that's fair, but it is the way it is. It can do a lot of harm to introduce very vulnarable individuals with impaired critical thinking process to this or really any new ideology. The work that a therapist does is the same whether they believe that Empaths exist or not. If a therapist understands that the individual in front of them is more attuned to other people's feelings which could be explained in them reading body language, tone, mannerisms of others, more readily, they treat them accordingly. The brain is an amazing tool and you can pick up so many things unconsiously about someone, doctors know this, it's not exactly a secret. The process is the same. The whole thing is a little shady. The way she seems to be using her supposed gifts together with her profession it seems to vibe wrong with me. A therapist should always be seperated emotionally from the client. So, that would literally make you a bad one. It's confusing how she seems to be so highly spoken of everywhere when it would be very unprofessional of you to "get down with the feels" when it comes to your clients.

I wish we talked about this more in the forum. Just the amount of people that seem to pray on vulnarable people, masquerading as Empaths or Empath-friendly is astounding. I think we should be critical of some things and not be afraid to doubt things in our own community (not the forum but the community overall). Of course, in a respectful and considerate manner, I'm not saying that we should accuse others of commiting fraud or being crazy. Then there wouldn't be such need to search for someone with a degree to validate our identity as Empaths and hanging onto them as gospel. Of course this is just my opinion, it's completely subjective, I'm not saying that I'm right, just what I believe.

The whole thing is shaky for more reasons other than that she literally copied and pasted Elise's book down to the title. I mean. The title. Even if you just did the same reseach and got to the same conclusions (which is already far-reached as a claim), you didn't google your title? You didn't notice there's an eerily similar book with the same title in your research?

LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

@sher-ellie You have a lot of points, and your overall line of thought I think I agree with. I'm very critically minded and it's been very challenging for me to even open up to the entire "empath" thing. I have a lot of weird experiences that I honestly believe science will one day be able to recognize, but a lot of people out there seem to separate science and spirituality, and since being an empath is often seen as a "spiritual gift" (not attacking that sentiment or anything), people tend to associate Empaths with spirituality and think that science will never be able to explain or understand it. I want to study these crazy traits.

Anyway, I really agree with the part you said about talking about things more openly, especially with criticisms or concerns. I know I don't like how comfortable some people (People I know in real life) are with applying the term "narcissist" to someone. Many times they're exhibiting narcissistic traits in the process of accusing someone of being a narcissist. There are also a lot of people I know who call themselves empaths but wont have a conversation about it. Particularly when I ask how other people experience energy or vibes, many people will just shut down or change the subject, or say "i just do" (Typically I'll ask something like "how do you experience someone elses energy?"). I know everyone's experience is different, but it bothers me how trendy the term has become. Not to mention how many people that prey on Empaths for money. I tend to just follow certain Guru's teachings because I find they have more information and have more to say than a lot of people who call themselves Empaths. I also get annoyed by how many web pages just repeat the same thing over and over, but don't offer real resources or new information. There's a lot of plagiarism, like in the case of this book. It's very sad. 

I always analyze and try to understand things. I want to understand what it is that I experience, how I'm experiencing it, and how far I can take what I experience. I'm mostly referring to feeling people's energy and picking up on other people's mentalities. I get frustrated because most places talk about "these sensitive old souls" or shielding, or using rocks and crystals, but none of it works for me or is appealing. Is it possible that its a placebo effect? Or maybe I don't do it right. I don't know. I also don't know if I feel chakras or not. And the overabundance of information is intimidating. Finding the term Empath was so good for me a few years ago, but since then I've found myself frustrated often with the overall community (everywhere on the internet).

I hope I didn't offend anyone btw. That was me letting out frustration with a lot of people I've met in person who happen to consider themselves Empaths.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 weeks ago
1,352 posts

LoconnorO,

You are certainly not offending me! I have had the same experiences, including a few people who were on this forum pretending to be empaths, even a couple who were here looking for prey.  I only came across the term about 6 yrs. ago and was always called "high strung" before that, which did not explain everything involved. I share your concerns. I have found isolation the only way to limit the amount of damage I sustain, and allow me to keep enough of my own energy for the few people who really do care about me. There are people here who do have success with the methods you mention though and maybe they can help you understand why/how it works for them. 

LoconnorO
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 weeks ago
165 posts

@cheshire-cat That's honestly a great relief to be honest. I hate calling people out, but I also want to be more honest and upfront with people because I don't agree with talking behind people's backs. I've found that the most effective method for me is isolation. Unfortunately I live at home and share a room, and my family doesn't understand that I need time and space to myself. I always come back feeling wonderful after walks by myself or being in a room alone. 

I plan to one day have a room dedicated to meditation and calming myself (and others are welcome in it). It's going to look weird to my family, Conservative Christians, but I will thrive if I have that haha.

I was really struggling before I found the term because I was absorbing people's mentalities and energy. I remember scaring myself because I could feel the change in someone's energy when my teachers got pregnant. I also remember very vividly feeling a friends anger to the point I started shaking, after that I had to start looking up what was going on because I felt it the minute he walked in the room, and when he sat next to me it was almost unbearable, I was on the edge of my seat and visibly uncomfortable the whole time. After finding the term empath and exploring it on my own for a few years, I've finally been able to come into myself and genuinely grow as an individual for the first time in my life. Unfortunately, with all the people out there "muddying the waters" if you will, I find it hard to do more research and try to find others with a similar experience.

updated by @loconnoro: 10/31/18 01:03:36PM
sher_ellie
sher_ellie
@sher-ellie
3 weeks ago
5 posts

@loconnoro  OMG I know, it seems like everywhere you turn, there's a "narc" out to get you. Which I find a little like...eh...doubtful. And like the crystals thing, I'm just confused about the whole process of it all. Like cleaning them of the energy and burying them and like so many steps. Then there's the chakras and the whole transcending this plane of existence and the dreams and people seeing dead people, it's just so much. A lot of things definitely seem to be getting roped in along with the empathetic traits. I definitely want to like talk about this, probably on a thread dedicated to this because we've definitely veered off subject here, we're like totally spamming this thread.

@cheshire-cat you're being so cool about the fact that this has nothing to do with the original subject. Your advice is literally the only thing that I've found has worked, isolation for the win. I feel like my resistance fluctuates a lot. I will have good days and days like today that I felt like people were taking small hammers to my head and I need to not be around them anymore 

Irrelevant, but I use the word "like" a lot. I'm 21. I'm in college. I'm a millennial. Don't be mad at me 

michelle
@michelle
3 weeks ago
29 posts
EliseLebeau:

Thanks so much Bill :) 

I know I technically own the copyright.  I also think I would likely win a law suit. 

But the determining factor is this one: it would be detrimental to my happiness.  I need to conserve my time and energy to work my 2 wonderful jobs and be the best mom I can be to my son. 

At the end of the day, I have nothing left for a lawsuit.  

The support I have received from the EC members has put a healing balm over my broken heart. 

It will heal.

in love

Elise

Elise, your response to the plagiarizing is noble. Let me show you the effects of your decision and how possibly more far reaching it makes your lifework.

I'm new here, a few days ago. Before that, I had used Judith Orloff's article [so called] published at , Psychology Today. I used it for non-empaths to see that this is getting mainstream attention, to validate the reality of Empaths. Her medical Degree and publication in a mainstream medical publisher is needed for many's convincing.

I'd like to see that information in another areas such as human biology, as opposed to mental health but it's a step towards widespread recognition and acceptance.

I hope I've given you some comfort towards your sacrafice and shown you how good has come from it.

Thank you for being on Earth at this time.

Cyberhugs,
Michelle

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book