Not sure if this is where I belong

lisastarry6
@lisastarry6
5 months ago
3 posts

Hi, sorry I'm not even sure if I am in the right place. Within the last couple of years, I noticed an uptick in these slightly off putting out of nowhere blindsides of emotion. Clearly not mine. Like I know they aren't mine and they are often accompanied by intense emotions (usually negative like anxious, sad, upset) along with physical manisfestations like nausea, stomach pain, chest constriction and tears because of how much I feel. The other part is these emotions are not always identifiable to whom they belong to. Like strangers or virtual strangers to me and usually from long distances.  I have always felt a huge connection with ppl I am in close physical proximity and am very focused on what a mood in a room or from a person might be without them telling me. But this other piece. Especially when I feel these things about people I don't know, I just am wondering if naybe I am mentally ill? Like does that even happen?  I'm sorry this is kind of a jumble, some of those feelings from what I think is someone else are heavy tonight and its not like I can contact them to do anything about it... am I crazy?  Just so confused . 

So_exausted_from_users
So_exausted_from_users
@so-exausted-from-users
5 months ago
41 posts
I suspect that u are exactly at the right spot.
All my life i swear i knew what others were thinking.. I knew when something emotional painful was headed my way.. My friend would humour me and say yeah, yeah so and so is going ro hurt u.. After time she stopped doubting me and tried so hard to comfort me that it wasn't going to be that bad.. sadly it was.. She started to call it my superpower... as for superpowers it is a really sucky one.. I also could've explain it but i knew things i shouldn't have..
I always knew that I was going to die around 40 also. 5 years ago at 39 i actually almost did die, i lost 3 litters of blood internally and there is no medical reason why I should still be here. 4 years ago my life turned into a nightmare when my husband and soulmate walked out of our marriage and because extreamly emotionally abusive with the kids and i... Trying to hold on to my sanity by my fingertips I started to see a therapist 3 years ago. Not once did he make me doubt what I knew of could feel however he got on my case to read a book by Judith Orloff.. Between legal mess, my kids and not really ready to do the reading assignment i found a million of reasons to put it off. A year ago I attempted to try dating again after 20 years and the universe put my twin flame in my path.. A twin flame is where u and this one person share a soul, it intensifies all relationship emotions however magnifies the pain and forces you to start to heal.. Yes there is lots of passion involved but the pain is not fun. A constant rollercoaster of emotions and seperation from the other person as you both are trying to work things out.. I don't wish a twin flame relationship for anyone. The up side is rhat it makes u do the painful work of evaluating your emotions and the pain so instead of running from it you face the pain and heal by makinging it strength. After a horrible week of crying and fighting with the pain i picked up the book he wanted me to read.. I have now read most of her books in the last couple of months.. I swear that she was telling my story just from another view point.. I understood why my therapist wanted me to read it... I had fought for 44 years against being an empath and it was tearing me apart.. I am now learning how to incorporate the empath into me and i don't feel so crazy anymore.. I also now can pick up on positive energy vibration not just the negitive ones.. I don't meditate as suggested.. It is a skill i suck at along with visualizations.. But as weird as it sounds i hear voices.. Not other people's but my thoughts are constant voices who are always talking.. there are several of them.. its refered to a monkeys mind.. where the mind is never at rest..
U are not crazy.. Trust me.. u are just lost.. Work on finding out how to accept the empath in u and I can't promise that things will be better but it will help so u don't have that feeling like u are going crazy... Judith is one of the top doctors in her feild in the states and is also an empath.. There are several techniques she talks about in her books to help to embrace the empath.
I wish u good luck and know u are not alone...
Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
5 months ago
977 posts

Hi...you are definitely in the right place...you are not mentally ill although I think everyone here has been worried about the same thing....we've all ended up here which is exactly where we needed to be...like you...😏

updated by @womanwhowalks: 07/08/18 12:18:56AM
Zacharias
Zacharias
@zacharias
5 months ago
150 posts

For over 20 years I assumed I was mental ill. It was embarrassing to me. I didn't want people to know so I acted as if I was perfectly sane. I leaned how to fake it and what not to say. Now that I know that many many people share my experience, I no longer think of myself as crazy. 

I could put up over 100 people that would say I'm perfectly sane, but they would probably tell you privately that I'm a little weird. I know a few empaths that are bat nuts crazy, because of what this world does to us. I think it's good to question, but the answer is complex. We have to get to know ourselves fully to understand what is happening and why it's happening to us. 

@lisastarry6- Your welcome here. We'll entertain any thoughts you have.

IIMB_Alicia
IIMB_Alicia
@iimb-alicia
5 months ago
4 posts

It's wonderful that you recognize that the emotions are not yours! When you experience a rush of emotion from someone/somewhere else, use any technique you have to usher it on it's way. Two of the tools that have been effective for me include:

1) Imagining I am a screen door, and letting the emotion just pass through like breeze.

2) Saying something like "I release you with love, and transmute you into pure light" (my most used with heavier emotions).

Unlike you, I didn't always know that what I was feeling wasn't my own emotions. So, the very first tool I learned was to simply ask "Is this mine"? If the answer was no, then I'd use one of the tools above.

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
5 months ago
933 posts

@lisastarry6:

Without sounding too mystical, I think fate has brought you here. You are going through what is called an empath awakening. I had similar feelings years ago and was googling mental illness and stumbled upon the definition of empath and found this site. And as with me, it appears that you found the right place. We are here to support you and share what we know and understand. The good news is that there are ways to control the intensity of the feelings that you pick up from others. And then from there if you choose, you can expand your psychic skills. But for starters I usually suggest that you take a couple empath quizes. It will give you some personal validation as to whether you are an empath and whether what you think is mental illness is actually a heightened sensitivity skill. After taking the below two quizes please share with us your thoughts and questions. And we as a community can help you take the steps to understand your empathy and learn to master it.

http://www.empathtest.com/

https://lonerwolf.com/empath-test/ 

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
5 months ago
933 posts

As an additional comment to what @iimb-alicia said, it is very hard to determine whether emotions are yours or from someone/somewhere else. I've had days where my personal issues were pretty closely related to energy I picked up from others so it's hard to really break it down at times. I think most empaths would say that's the hardest part. It takes quite a while to reliable learn how to discern. Even harder, is knowing where it is coming from. It could be someone sitting in a room with you, or it could be someone next door or down the street. And many times, it is multiple people's emotions impacting us. That's why so many of us empaths struggle with being around groups of people. I personally have trouble with group emotional energy in places like churches, shopping malls, busy restaurants, and airplanes.

lisastarry6
@lisastarry6
5 months ago
3 posts
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to me. Your words were definitely appreciated. I think I just need some time (again) to try to process this as I had taken the quizzes which identified me as an empath but some of your thoughts gave me pause. It's very confusing as I only noticed the outside of my own feelings in the last few yrs...I thought perhaps some serious medical situations from which I was "lucky to be alive" had flipped something inside me (like an on switch)...but that seems unlikely,maybe. Idk. Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for taking that time for me.
Lisa
So_exausted_from_users
So_exausted_from_users
@so-exausted-from-users
5 months ago
41 posts
Been there done that, don't worry so much about it. I find that the harder I force it the crazier I get.. I have only this last few months stop fighting mine. I am lucky enough that my therapist is an empath also.
Cause I can't meditate he told me when I am feeling that crazy feeling find your ground (I am still looking for mine but I spotted my son's right away, as soon as I learned what I was I spotted it in my family like, my dad is one also along with my son) A lot of people find their ground is nature.. I sit in a hot bubble bath and try to sort through the feeling/ thought.. what am I really feeling and what do I know about those around me are dealing with.. It is harder when people don't own their feelings or are ready to share... If a feeling doesn't match what I am going through I file it in the back of my mind for later.. Those are the things that I should know but I do.. When people are ready to share it finally clicks.
The more you can learn to let the emotions flow through u the less crazy u will feel.. it isn't easy and I am still struggling with it.. being linked with another doesn't help either and I am watching him start his awakening process.. He doesn't understand yet why he is feeling my energy so strong and I am afraid to tell him to quickly.. There is also a desire level there for each other but we are not together as he is dating someone else. His emotions are the hardest on me cause I know his soul and ours talk together even when we are no where near each other.
It is so crazy to hear his calling me when he needs help and mind does the same to him.
I find that when I am the most lost and think I am losing it that it is my kids or this other persons emotions and not mine.
Hospitals are also extremely hard on me expecially if there is someone close in the final days or hours. My mom spent 6 months in the hospital last summer and I still didn't know that I was an empath.. There were so many days I would go home and cry but not understand why.. I could sleep, eat.. I felt like walk dead expecially from long days there and when someone had been so close to death.. i felt everyone elses pain as they were saying goodbye.. I went through a lot of Ativan and a lot of therapy appointments to keep me from feeling like I was going crazy.. I never put the signs together that I was feeling everyone elses pain. Swear I saw a few of the people afterwards.. once I accepted the empath I realized that I did and have seen spirits all my life..
Finding a therapist that is an empath has helped me out so much.. finding people who believe u and u can talk to to help u sort your feelings and thoughts out will help big time.. this chat community is an awesome resources but having someone else to confide it will make it real.. something about saying it out loud to another person makes it so it isn't all in your head but real... I have my therapist (There are alot who don't believe in empaths or can give u the wrong advice so be careful as u go looking if that's what u want.. I watched as the person I am linked to had the wrong one.. it caused him to feel as he was totally crazy.. Once I realized that was happening I talked him into stopping seeing his... We will find someone to help not hurt him)
I also have a friend who for the last 5 years has been there for everything.. making sure that I don't fall off into the crazy.. she wasn't sure at first about me but I knew things about her that she never shared with anyone and I couldn't explain why I knew or why for the first time I felt I could trust someone else enough to start sharing.. She was skeptical at times but never doubted me but what I said would come true.. She now helps me sort out things and helps when she lets me know what are her emotions..

Trust in yourself.. and allow time to help.. I have no patience yet I am now having to learn it.. it is a hard thing to understand but it will come.. Go with the flow...
krosskelt
@krosskelt
5 months ago
62 posts

At the end of most days I sit down, when I'm alone, and inspect my emotions.  The process I've formed over the years has worked well for me.  I visualize stuffing all my emotions into my abdominal area.  Then I pull them out one at a time.  I ask myself if it is mine and what reasons I may have for having that emotion.  If it is not mine, then I try to figure out where and who I picked it up from.  Sometimes just saying "Oh that is Bob's" is enough, sometimes not.  So the next step is deciding if I can do anything to affect that emotion.  Does this person need help, friendship, more?   Sometimes I decide there is nothing I can do, and that is enough to release it.  Sometimes I have to carry them over and keep experiencing the emotion.  I do my best though to release anything that is not mine, and deal with that which is mine or that I can't release otherwise.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book