Empathy absorbed?

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts

So lately I've been wondering. When we pick up the emotions of others do we take them away from them, or do they stay with them?

The sad and angry emotions stay with me longer. In fact they usually dont go away until I either go MIA for a while or allow them to be expressed.

Now I've gotten to a point where it doesn't bother, I understand the process.

What I dont know is it if I'm actually taking a bit of that pain away, or just sharing?
If it is being taken away does it apply to all emotions, or just the ones people want relief from?
Just curious.

spiritualskies
@spiritualskies
2 months ago
159 posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is MIA?

Depends whom your taking from and what. If it's something your the cause of then, perhaps communicate..

If not do whatever feels natural.
Nocturne's Angel
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
2 months ago
904 posts

You may be doing both (sharing at times & taking away at other times) depending on the person, timeframe, circumstances, etc.

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
MIA= missing in action. It just means I disappear for a little while.
Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 months ago
930 posts

Hi...for myself it's a bit of both...there seems to be an actual transfer of energy from some people...what I would describe as dark energy...it leaves someone and comes into my energy and I have to try and ground it out or let it subside ,the emotions are mixed up in that...other times it's a connection that needs to be removed...it presents itself differently at times...i smudged a tree in front of my house and dark energy left it and transferred to me so its not just humans that carry dark energy...emotional energy can come along with that dark energy or through the actual soul cords that connect us to others. Talking things out is definitely an energy transfer but on some occasions the energy actually leaves a person as a large dark mass and either goes off somewhere or I absorb it somehow...it feels absolutely freaky and icky when it gets into my energy and takes a bit of time to clear out...

updated by @womanwhowalks: 05/13/18 01:31:34PM
crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
These are all great comments. I posted this question on another site and an interesting point was brought up.

A few people suggested that the energy that seems to be the strongest feels that way because we notice. I know that sounds a bit confusing so I'll phrase it another way.

Our ability allows us to amplify energy. We do this by simply acknowledging that energy and then paying attention to it.

I thought this was a neat idea, so today I changed my approach to the energy around me. I still feel all the different energy but I have given a stronger focus on the positive. Today was the first full day and I have noticed a great shift.

When I found myself in situations where there was a lot of bad energy I focused on my heart, thinking as a seed of positive energy and using my focus to amplify it.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@crystalsage:

I love the idea of focusing on the positive to see if it can shine brighter than the negative energy. I have tried that in the past with some success. The challenge for empaths is in my belief that we are meant to take in people's negative energy to ground it out and better the world. We are tuned to identify and take in that negative. The flaw in this for most empaths, including myself, is that we take in the negative and don't ground it fast enough. And that energy sits within us for some time and brings our vibration down until we discharge it through grounding. I have spoken to higher level empaths who recognize the instant they take in negative energy and instantly let it pass through them and ground it to the earth. I don't yet operate that way but hope to some day be able to do that.

I do believe that we do take vast amounts of people's low or negative energy away from them. If it is in passing where you enter a crowded room, you may only absorb small percentages of any given person's energy. But if it is a sit down one on one where you are listening and counseling someone, you take a very large amount of the  problem (low energy) away from that person. Most empaths experience this regularly where they meet with someone who is very low. And the other person leaves the conversation feeling better while the empath then feels worse because they just absorbed the other person's low energy.

I did want to note that while we are out helping people, we often have a temporary effect on them. For example, if someone comes to you to talk to you about a problem with their boyfriend that is causing them anxiety, you will most likely make them feel more relaxed and calm. But you did not make their problem go away so it is only a matter of time until that person becomes anxious again about her unresolved problem.

I've heard a lot of higher level empaths suggest that we need to be a lot more picky with who we choose to heal with an energy exchange. It obviously takes a lot out of us to help people. They say that it is better to direct the hurt person to see the cause of their pain and work on addressing that. Otherwise, as an empath, you are no more than an aspirin that gets rid of their headache for 2-3 hours before their unresolved problems return.

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@hop-daddy
I have definitely had the experience of being like an aspirin. I do pick and choose who I help.

I have gotten a lot better over time at grounding the negative energy and hope that practice and time can make me better.

I will say I have been trying out the amplification thing for a few days now, and I feel like there is something to it.

I agree about grounding the negative energy. I notice that when I am in a room that has a low energy environment if I focus on letting it pass through me the mood of the room changes. Sometimes while I do it I can't talk. It's like the minute I open my mouth that energy gets internalized. So I still need to practice more. I do find that it's easier if I dont try to shield. Instead I just feel what ever it is and it passes more quickly.

However, I'm curious what effect I could have if after I ground the negative energy I focus on amplifying the positive energy.

It's not an end all. For example, I was having a rough day a work. There are two people who bring everyone down, you know the kind of people who are not comfortable unless everyone around them is frustrated. Since I'm not the quickest to ground I felt that energy starting to effect me. Then I saw a co-worker, who is always smiling,who hadn't been there in a while. I told her I was going to focus on her energy to help me through the rest of the day. She smiled even bigger and said okay. I turned my full attention to her and it seemed like the room was suddenly filled with all my favorite people. I was still a little upset but everytime I got ready to feed into it, something funny would happen. Or someone would show me a sign of solidarity.

So I'm thinking maybe we can do both. I know that there are some people who I won't always be able to help. But for the ones I can, I would like to experiment with this idea more to see what comes of it.

Thanks for writing in, I enjoyed reading what you wrote.
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@crystalsage:

Good for you if you can project high vibrational energy and keep it up. I go through cycles where I am in a great mood for several days and try to do the same. But it doesn't last long. Now matter how hard I try to raise the vibration around me with a positive mood, there are always opposing forces that eventually bring me back down. I'm not trying to discourage you. But humanity is in a very negative funk these last few years. And that's hard to compete with. I usually come out strong, get weakened from other's negativity. And then need to regroup and rebuild my vibration so that I can go back out happy and high vibration again. But I wish you the best and hope you can continue shining your light to those around you. Let us know how it goes.

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@hop-daddy I go through similar cycles. That is what is motivating me to try this out. I need more consistency.

I think it may have been a passage from the tao te ching. It was the idea of learning to be okay with the bad because it wont stop coming. It's just a way of not getting so overwhelmed by it. I struggle with that idea. But in trying to focus on the good, I am learning to stop trying to fight with the bad. Kinda of like the idea of radical acceptance. It does not say you agree with what is happening, just an acknowledgment of what is happening.

If it makes any sense at all focusing on the positive doesn't even truly take away the down moment but it does seem to make them easier to deal with. Like I said sometimes I won't even talk just to give myself time to rebuild

I've only been at it for a few days now. It's starting to feel almost like I am focusing my empathetic nature to pinpoint what I am trying to feel.

What I notice it that the negative energy is a massive size while the positive feels like a dim light.

Also I just wanted to clarify, it's not my mood that I'm trying to amplify. In fact it is my mood that I am trying to give less attention to. My mood often gets so muddled by the world around me it can be destructive to my life. It's like looking for Waldo. I don't know if you are familiar with the children's books. Each page is a picture filled with an insane amount of details and you have to look to see where Waldo is.

I am feeling outside myself trying to find the positive energy and then intently focusing on that energy so that I can build a strong connection to it. I feel like if I can connect empatheticly to people over great distances, then with practice should be able to find waldo(positive energy) wherever he/it may be.

Thank you for your words.
Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 months ago
930 posts

Has anyone checked their energy/aura for damage?...I found a very big hole just over top of my head that was wide open...I didn't know it was there...I closed it up and now I feel I'm not getting such a heavy dose of negative energy now....I'm also going to try looking into different layers of my energy field to find other damage...maybe this is why we're having such a difficult time keeping the negative energy out...

updated by @womanwhowalks: 05/16/18 10:44:58PM
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@womanwhowalks:

I've been reading a lot about how negativity and entities latch on and drain you through cracks or breaks in your aura. But how do you identify where the weak points are?

strugglebunny
strugglebunny
@stugglebunny
2 months ago
22 posts

@hop-daddy -- I so enjoyed reading your post.  You gave me a lot to ponder.  I haven't thought about our calling as empaths.  The fact that we're meant to take in people's negative energy & ground it out to better the world.  I've felt it a burden my whole life that I have this gift.  When I was younger I felt so deeply & intensely it was too much for me to handle at times that I came to really dislike the emotional side of myself.  I would drown it out with substances/alcohol but it never lasted.  I no longer drown out the feelings & am coming to a place of acceptance with being an empath.  It's difficult for me because I don't want to feel other people's negative energy & work to ground it out into the earth, I question, "why me?".  I know that's selfish, but it's honest.  I do feel as though I've innately completed this task since I was a child though, it's so odd.  I didn't realize I was empathic, but as a child I knew I had to connect with nature, express my feelings/thoughts to the earth, trees and ground.  I would release it all to this power greater than I.  It was magical.  I find myself going through what you go through, the ups & downs.  They are inevitable.  I can focus on the good energies for a period of time, but I always come back down as well.  Because, well --- what goes up, must come down.  It's the natural cycle of things for me.  I'm learning I have to accept it, then find that time for myself to connect with nature & ground out these feelings.  Sometimes I don't know who the feeling is coming from, whether it's multiple people or just one individual?  I find that if I fixate on the feelings they grow, so there's a lot of ME involved as well.  I want to learn more so I can be more of service, but I also want to accept myself.  It's hard to accept my empathic qualities for some reason.  I'm not sure.  Do you have experience with that?

I would also love to know how to identify when there is a hole in my aura/energy @Karen2

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@stugglebunny:

Here's a good link explaining the light worker's role in the world. And I think it really does answer the question of why we have this gift. I also think there is evidence that while negativity is exploding at this time, so are empath awakenings. It's like there is a battle going on between good and evil and both sides are escalating.

http://psychicjoanne.blogspot.com/2010/08/lightworkers-lightworking.html

You nailed it on the ups and downs of being an empath. We do have amazing power to heal and bring out the best in people. But it comes at a cost. It wears us out energetically and physically. And it's a full time job monitoring yourself to try to keep your vibration up. But when you better understand our purpose in this world, it starts to make sense.

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@crystalsage

@stugglebunny:

Here's another good link from the same author that gets deeper in to the empath themes as they relate to helping others while protecting yourself. There's even a little bit of a warning in this article about being picky with who you help because some people take advantage of your gifts by stealing your energy.

http://psychicjoanne.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/being-empathic.html

Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 months ago
930 posts
Hop Daddy:

@womanwhowalks:

I've been reading a lot about how negativity and entities latch on and drain you through cracks or breaks in your aura. But how do you identify where the weak points are?

Hop-Daddy....I've read up on that too...and I had no idea how to find the holes. But for me the holes can be caused by anything especially from emotional trauma...self doubt...etc.. as well as psychic attackers...that being said it can also be caused by the removal of the soul ties and cords from the energy systems...the one that I found was where I had removed a HUGE cord and root...it left behind a large hole which I thought would close on it's own but apparently it didn't do so and it needed help to close...I was just testing a method of checking my energy and bam....the hole closed...lol..total surprise...
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 months ago
1,289 posts

For help closing auric holes:

On YouTube, you may want to try the video for Psychic Protection and Aura Cleansing by DrVirtual7. It has been helping me to close the many small holes in my aura that are leaking Chi, brought about by not wanting to be on earth. This video is only 5 mins. long and s/b done daily. You do not need headphones.

Nea
Nea
@nea
2 months ago
215 posts

Hi @crystalsage

We absorb other people's energy which contains all kinds of things. What we absorb depends on what you as a person is attracted to and subconsciously 'want' to take on. I'm not actually sure if people really miss the energy we absorb, but it's not that good to carry along all those things that aren't ours to begin with. There are techniques to learn that helps you return the energy you have absorbed. Even if you want to learn other techniques where you want to do something with the energy you have absorbed, any basic skill would have to include 'returning' the energy so you have that option and don't carry around things you don't want to carry around.

Much love & light

Nea

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@nea how does the technique of returning work? What are the other things that can be done with the absorbed energy?
Nea
Nea
@nea
2 months ago
215 posts

@crystalsage I'm sure there are more than one technique of returning energy, but the one I've learned is simple but requires some dedication and time. It essentially means learning to manipulate and understand your own energy and the difference between your own energy and others. There are several steps to learning this technique, and it took me a couple of months, meaning I had a teacher that walked me through every step I needed to learn. It was quite life changing, and was the right thing for me.

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@nea would you be willing to share the technique?
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@crystalsage:

Returning energy back to sender is a higher level psychic skill. From what I understand it is very hard to learn and get good at. It takes a lot of instruction and practice and you have to keep a high vibration as it is really hard to do when you are feeling low or anxious. So I think what @nea is referring to is that it isn't something that she can teach you to do on a message board. But there are quite a few online classes where you can sign up and learn skills like that. Here's one I found online for reference. I am not endorsing this person as I found this link at random just as an example pf what is out there. I wish you good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

https://www.carlamary.net/returningunwantedenergy.html

I just realized that while the above link contained some good info., some of the corresponding links on her page that you probably will want to look at seem to be dead links. Here's another one I found that listed quite a few techniques that may help you:

https://www.shamanlinks.net/blog/protection-from-negative-energy/

updated by @hop-daddy: 05/24/18 01:40:04PM
crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@hop-daddy the crystals I'm referring to are apart of my regular armor I guess. I'm fine wearing them until I go certain places or am around certain people. Or after being around a lot of people for prolonged period of time.

I've had a similar experience with hematite, although I had a different outcome. I was always taught that pain was actually a sign of healing. So when I experienced the discomfort with the hematite I kept it on me. It took a few days, which sounds like a crazy thing to go through I know, but it felt like something was being pulled out of me. I had to keep going to the restroom and then, it all went away. I felt a weight that I wasn't even aware of lift. Now I carry that same piece of hematite all the time.

I dont fully understand what is happening but in the end I always feel healed. It's like I'm being made a new, it just hurts a little sometimes. Have you ever experienced anything like that?
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 months ago
804 posts

@crystalsage:

You mentioned hematite. A lot of empaths love that one. Although quite a few people like me feel a bit off with that one. And for best protection you really need 3-4 protection stones on you as they all do different things and work better together. Here are my "take everywhere" protection stones:

Black obsidian, black onyx, black tourmaline, and malachite

As a guy, it's hard to wear crystals and stones as jewelry without getting a lot of questions and weird looks. So I like to get these stones in about the size of a marble each that I keep in a small pouch in my pocket. The black tourmaline is probably the most popular and effective one of the bunch. But I really like malachite because it absorbs negative energies and pollutants from the atmosphere and from the body.  I specifically like that malachite pulls the negative out of me. 

I was told that if a crystal makes me feel off that I should stick with it for a few days to see if I will adapt. But hematite really made me sick so I couldn't deal with that one. But good for you for sticking it out and making it work.

I do get a lot of strange intermittent pains through my body as a result of being an empath. But I have never felt pain from crystals and protection stones. The closest to pain that I have experienced was that example I gave earlier where hematite made me feel really nauseous and dizzy. Every once in a while a new crystal will give off an electric buzz feeling in my hands. But for the most part, my crystals and stones don't make me physically feel anything. But spiritually, they work wonders. I feel balanced and energized and have no problem being out in crowded areas or in hostile environments. However, I will say that crystals and stones are kind of like sun screen where if you put sun screen on and spend 7 hours in full sun at the beach you're probably still getting burned. If I am in an intense or very people busy place for a long time, I find that about 30% of the negative energy from people around me still gets through to me. But that means my crystals and stones are blocking 70% of what I would take in without them so I'll take those odds. They've made a big difference allowing me to be in public while being balanced.

I did want to note that I've read books by several shamans and spoken to other empaths who are totally against using anything to block or mute energies. They claim that God gave us these gifts and we are to use what we feel to help others around us and transmute their energy (heal the world so to speak). And I do get that to a point. But when negative energy comes in at uncontrollable levels and debilitates you, that is where you have to find a way to block or manage it. And for many, crystals and stones are the answer. 

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
2 months ago
138 posts
@hop-daddy lol I just realized I meant to write that comment in a different post...oh well.

I've heard the thing about not shielding. I do find that I cope a lot better when I don't shield. But I agree some energies are just too much. One thing I've learned is that if I take those energies in small doses, over time I am able to handle them without shielding. There was a girl at my job whose energy just made feel horrible. So I first would speak to her unless I had to, then I just kept a few feet in between us. Before when she would talk I would feel like both ears had infections, now she doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I don't even know she is there.

As far as the pain goes, I think it's my own that I have been ignoring. In a sense it seems that the crystals where helping me face it. Every day I wake up feeling stronger. It's strange,but I am noticing a dramatic change in my overall being.

I have all those crystals you mentioned. I regularly carry the black tourmaline. I also like to keep jet, tigers eye, and rose quartz. I were the black onyx occasionally and sleep with the malachite. I dont use the obsidian very much, idk why.

I get the spiritual affect but I also get a very strong physical effect from mycurtails, especially during my initial connection with them.
Nea
Nea
@nea
2 months ago
215 posts

@crystalsage Yes @hop-daddy is right, it's not something I can go through quickly, unfortunately.

I'm sure there are alot of places you can learn this skill - personally I can recommend https://thehappysensitive.com/

The way Caroline teaches really resonated with me, but but as she will really take the time to guide you through it, and because it's quite a commitment for her, it does cost a bit. I would advice that you take a look around and find a place or a person that resonates with you that you feel will be able to teach you what you need.

You mentioned using stones, and I've had some nice experience with them, but they're not that effective for large amounts of energy, they've mostly help me focus like an energetic map of sorts. Stones can make you feel really dizzy or out of sorts if you're not aligned or not used to them. I feel stones alot more the first time I have them around, and then I'll either get used to them more or I won't and then I'll have to decide if I want to work on finding out why that is or I can take a break from them. I love using the obsidian and amethyst combination.

About shielding - I use shielding as a tool on top of my other skills, as it doesn't really help with the core energy management problems. I would recommend, when you're ready, to start looking for guidance in more deeper energy skills.

Much love

Nea

updated by @nea: 05/24/18 05:00:19PM

Want to reply? Create an account here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book