How do you know you're on an "empath trip"?

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
4 months ago
79 posts

I've recently been trying to compile a list of "signs" for myself that tell me when an emotional storm I'm experiencing is likely an "empath trip". A first sketch is below; it's mostly valid for the most extreme of cases though (extended and intense "trips"). 

I am not quite sure that this is accurate, had to reflect a lot. I was wondering in how far you would recognise any of these points? Although I assume how this is experienced may be individual. Still, would be great to hear back. 

Or, if you have any "signs" of your own for how to know when you're on the empath trip – I would be grateful if you share. I'm still sometimes getting caught in this, although not for days anymore (usually), but still sometimes take time to notice.

1. There may be a sudden switch where something falls on you from the sky; or someone flips a switch and you find yourself in another movie and have no idea how you got there. However, unlike in changes set off simply by emotionally intense reactions to triggers, your emotions don’t seem to be about the person / place / situation at hand, nor about a memory or thought that you replay in your mind; there seems to be no referent, but your body-mind system still plays out some kind of intense emotional script.

When this happens to me, I am not always sure that this state playing out in my body is actually someone else’s, as it’s still possible that I simply overlooked, or suppressed, the emotional trigger. What helps is verification (when possible) and paying attention to additional hints like the subtle “change in ambience” described in point 2.

2. It’s not like a gradual change of lighting (with the sunset, say) — it’s like a change of scenery; you were in Bali and suddenly find yourself in the Himalaya; it’s not just one thing that changed; it’s the whole feel of the ambience: the temperature, the humidity, the aromas in the air, the feel of the vegetation, the colouring of the sky, the scents of the soil, the way the air feels on your skin. You perceive this through your emotional and energy sense: you essentially find yourself in someone else’s emotional world suddenly

3. Sometimes this change of scenery is not obvious; sometimes, you have been “traveling” for years and don’t realise when something departs from your “home” scenery as you don’t have a secure grasp of where you are from. 

Hopeful
Hopeful
@hopeful
4 months ago
6 posts
Sometimes it sneaks up on me... Gradually I get caught in the web... It can take some time before I realize that the emotions I feel are not my own, that I am walking at someone elses path. If I can relate to the other persons feelings/way of thinking, because I have walked at similar paths earlier in life, it is so much easier to get suched in ... Someone at my new job is so much like me. I guess she might be an empath, too, without knowing. Time and time again I have mistaken her energies for my own. So I have to be very alert around her, take small pauses and just breathe... Other times I have felt the exact second someone elses energy has broken through my defenses... It's like when a bubble bursts... Poff... Then I know I've got work to do... I have also suddenly heard myself talk like another person, realizing that his/her energy was influencing me. I have also felt the "taste" of another person, like when you've got a bad taste in your mouth, just not fysical. To conclude, both to myself and others... I have to be more aware around people that are like myself, with similar energies, ispecially if we open up to one another and share our thoughts and feelings... I often end up feeling drained, confused and with mixed energies... It is much more easy to be aware of energies that are different than my own... It's like they speak another language or have a different accent. And I say to myself that this is not my energy/feeling etc and breathe it out. I sometimes have to "shout" at the energy, to chase it away, but that's another story... I have no idea if my answer made any sense, but I'll post it anyway... 😊
Nea
Nea
@nea
4 months ago
215 posts

Sometimes it's really obvious, but mostly I need to work on paying attention to energy changes.

I check in with myself regularly to see if I'm carrying around something that isn't mine though. I think training yourself to pay attention to changes will take learning to listen better, and knowing what my core status is so to speak. Awareness is one of the empath skills that I need to work on the most, I always get distracted by something and forget to check for a personal benchmark. I've been told though that listening is important when training this, even if it feels like you aren't hearing anything.
I usually notice something is wrong, before I understood how linked my inner landscape was to energy, I just thought it was 'all in my head' and I just carried on. But now I know it might not be all me, so I can check if I can let it go, and also that whatever I am going through is a teaching moment waiting to happen so I should at least stop and listen to my mind and body.

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
4 months ago
79 posts

@hopeful thanks for the response ... it makes total sense ... actually when i try to write about this things in my journal or blog, i also only come up with metaphors like "taste" etc. i don't really know how to describe it. the accent is also a cool metaphor that i can make sense of. 

it's interesting what you say that it's more difficult with people who are similar. that makes me think. it may be true, i.e. when there is a huge shift from my baseline, it's true i think i also tend to notice it more easily. on the other hand, sometimes i feel e.g. that when i live with certain people, i can't really tell their energy from my own – it's like i lose my "baseline" that i can compare things to. so i stop knowing who i am unless ... like literally, i spend a few days to week by myself or so. 

i'm still confused about that because i think a year or so ago when i started working on this, i noticed the HUGE shifts and i thought i've (kind of) figured it out. but now as i'm going in more depth i'm confused again because it often seems that some energies i've accepted as "mine" e.g. disappear as soon as one of the people living with me leaves, or sth like that. so i think i'm still accepting a lot of stuff as "mine" that isn't mine. 

that's why i still keep looking for ways ... tho if in my case it's that extreme maybe i really need to go to a monastery for a year or so to get to know my "baseline" and feel the shifts ... sometimes i feel like i'm so "transparent" that it's almost like i don't have an own energy or can't find it hm ...

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
4 months ago
79 posts

@nea

Nea:

I check in with myself regularly to see if I'm carrying around something that isn't mine though. I think training yourself to pay attention to changes will take learning to listen better, and knowing what my core status is so to speak. Awareness is one of the empath skills that I need to work on the most, I always get distracted by something and forget to check for a personal benchmark. I've been told though that listening is important when training this, even if it feels like you aren't hearing anything.

so by "hearing" i guess you don't really mean using your ears, but some kind of inner attention? do you mean you are "listening" for your intuition to tell you, or something else?

also that thing regarding "core status" ... just commented on that in my response to @hopeful ... do you have a way to "get that"? because my impression is that i can be so enmeshed in the energy of especially family members or romantic partners that i take that to be my "baseline", until someone leaves and only then i realise how different i feel. so all of that really confuses me. 

Nea
Nea
@nea
4 months ago
215 posts

@sasha-supertramp Yes listening meaning listening to my body, and my instinct.

I think once you've cleared alot of energy, and as you get better at it, you will start to understand what 'you' are underneath all that you've picked up that isn't yours. I've just started to figure all this out, but I definitely feel who I am more, and that I try not to be so enmeshed or feel dependent on others. I've definitely felt caught up, sometimes even imprisoned, in other people's energy.

The way I've been taught, although I'm sure there are many ways to do this, is that it's a conversation you're having with your own body, because the body knows what is going on - in essence it's about learning to listen to your subconscious and intuition.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book