Cats and Emapths?

To post a reply, login or signup

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts

As I have cruised around and read quite a few bio's, I found that a lot of you talk very fondly about your pets, but more often, it's cats that get the highest praise from most empaths, or at least that is what it seems to me. Which makes me wonder, if dogs are amans best friend,then are cats an empaths best friend? And if so, why?

Meowski, I certainly would expect a comment from you on this. LOL :-D

updated by @bill-walker: 03/15/17 06:53:33PM
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts
I also talk to my cats. And like you, Nakesha, most of my cats have somehow chosen me rather then me choosing them. And yes, I even consider them, my kids.
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts
Thanks ya all! I really enjoyed reading all of your comments.
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts
I sure hope that you don't make stew out of your cool cats? And actually, I'm vegetarian, so bunnies would fall in the same cat-egory as well, at least for me.
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts
I love dogs as well along with all the other four leggeds. :))
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts
I used to feed the crows where I used to work and we all became good buds. They would come whenever I would do my very poor immitation of a crow call. I think they all laughed whenever I did it, but they never argued about the food. I often worry about them a little as our unit was closed down and I'm not their to help them out anymore!
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Ditto, I have always had cats in my life. I was lucky enough to have a family that all loved cats. I have always had a special bond with them. I now find myself "conversing" with my cats through thoughts. (I know, it sounds weird). I can look at my cats and call them up into my lap. They are my comfort when I am feeling low, they energize me. I have throughout my life saved many cats from demise and have even been able to tame the "impossible" ones. They all have such gratefulness. They are very spiritual animals, all gifts from a Greater Source.
Nicolas
@nicolas
2 years ago
17 posts
Cats are calm, quiet. There less social. Where as dogs have to be around people, Cats are therapeutic compared to the startling bark of a dog. I love both dogs and cats but there's no doubt that cats are much like the empath when it comes to the nerves.
Sweet Dee
@sweet-dee
2 years ago
2 posts

I love dogs but I feel like I connect with cats more. I know this doesn't answer your questions but I want to share my experience with cats.

I saw a stray cat in my neighborhood and it was affecting me because I get emotional when I see homeless and abused animals. He was a smart/social cat and was walking back and forth on the block. I thought to myself "Maybe he belongs to someone because he stays on the same block." I couldn't stop thinking about the him that it made me sad and I started to tear. I stopped what I was doing (I was at work) and I decided to ask around to find his owner.

I and a friend of mines that owns a grocery store decided to feed him and provide the cat with water. He kept following me but I couldn't take him with me because I already have two cats at home and the last time I tried to rescue a cat I got bitten. I decided to ask around and check up on the cat. I couldn't stop thinking about the cat that I decided to alter my thoughts and image that someone took him. All I was thinking about was positive thoughts and not letting this affect me. About a hour later, I started feeling better and all the anxiety and sadness when away. I decided to come out to look for him but I hadn't seen him since. I know that I cant save every animal but when I come across of a stray, I make sure I provide them with food and donate to animal organizations.

barefootkitty
@barefootkitty
2 years ago
2 posts

I would have to agree =D I'm not sure if I know why, maybe because cats feel much more intelligent and almost human like, while dogs are way too willing to please and simple. I have three myself and I really feel as though they pick up on my emotions and "get me". Call me crazy!

Reckless
@reckless
2 years ago
117 posts
I like cats and dogs although I've only owned cats.

One thing I love about pets is that they naturally adopt your personality. I guess it depends on how long you've had them but each animal knows their owner practically better than they know themselves. Sounds like a group of people who are able to detect your emotions ;)

I miss my cat. He was put to sleep at 16. He was old and lived a great life with me. He was the exact same as me. He'd scare you, play jokes on others, and he was just as quiet and calm as I am. He would even do his disappearing acts too. He seemed just like me as far as emotions. He'd show some then try to get as far away from you as possible. I'm just weird like that but I felt he was the only person that understood. I always seen him as a younger brother or sometimes as the kid I didn't have. He always had big eyes but he would try to keep them low. He was such a cool cat.
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,185 posts

Being a cat myself, of course I feel we are the best empaths, and that we are superior beings, in general.

I've had friends who are dogs, a bunny, and a couple of cockatiels, but other cats have been the most constant in my life, and I've had far more of them. We can see spirits, you know. We may appear aloof, or even disappear for awhile, as I am known to do, lol. However, when you are really in bad shape, we are there to lie by your side and purr.

Dogs love everyone, even monstrous excuses for human beings who treat them horribly. If we love you, you know you are decent, because we won't put up with abuse and if mistreated, we will leave if we can get outside. We are picky about whom we give our loyalty to, just like most empathic people are.

.....nothing left but the smile, :-)

Cheshire

EliseLebeau
@eliselebeau
2 years ago
414 posts

I also feel animals companions are really beneficial for empaths.

(Sorry Bill, this comment is about my dog, not cats...)

I had cats growing up but was never around dogs. Last year, I felt a powerful urge to get a dog. I had no idea what I was doing but I knew I wanted a rescue, not a puppy.

Like others have said, I feel my dog chose me more than the other way around. She'd been up for adoption for 4 months but I guess she was waiting for me ;)

Contrary to most humans, her energy is super stable in the "good" or "neutral" zone. She quickly became a super fun source of grounding for me!

Funny story: 4 months ago, I felt the "urge" again...So now I have 2 dogs! The second one is also a rescue that was skin and bones when he came to Oregon. He's a plump boy now :)

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
2 years ago
729 posts

I miss all of my cats, but the first one does hold a special place in my heart. I wonder how many people have had a cat that was so smart she knew how to play hide and seek with me when I was a kid. It was incredible because she would go hide and jump out to scare me when I got close. and then she would sit for ten or fifteen seconds so I could go hide. And we would do it over and over so she certainly understood the game and the rules.

We'll play it again when I get back home I'm certain.

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
2 years ago
729 posts

I love dogs as well, so you're forgiven Elise. LOL

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
I can relate. I have made it a lifetime mission to save all of the kitties that need my help. I am lucky enough to live on a farm so I am able to rescue the lost souls. They all are very grateful, loving beings, all with their own personalities. I am convinced that they are all reincarnated spirits destined to cross paths with me throughout my life.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
They all seem to "find" me. I even had one that I saw as a kitten at my office living under an old building. I tried to catch her but she was too wild, but strange thing, a week later I was getting ready to go to work and heard a loud distressed howling going on. I went to investigate just to find that that kitten had somehow gotten under the hood of my car an rode there for 45 miles home. She must have been there all night. I was able to get her to come to me. That was 12 years ago, she is still will me, along with 4 others that I have saved through the years.
TG
@tg
2 years ago
1 posts

Hello, It is interesting that my 16 year old has called me Meow since he was 7. Our cat has this way of sensing things unexplainable. My son has type 1 diabetes and there was a time that his blood sugar was extremely/ dangerously out of balance and she woke me up meowing. Luckily she woke me up. I have to concur with the connection.

Angela2
@angela2
2 years ago
6 posts
I have a theory on this:A few years ago my middle daughter said that dogs need humans and cats don't She continued on to point out that dogs have to please us, they are ashamed when they do something wrong and they overall are dependent upon our moods, happy person happy dog (not a good combo for an empath really An overloaded empath could use a furry friend to take the edge off not mirror them)A cat on the other hand has their very own set of thoughts and emotions and don't really seem to care to much as to their humans. However when their human is really sad or down the cat will comfort them. It is almost as if the cat is the animal empath They just naturally come to relieve the negative for youI am thinking (again theory) that empaths are more prone to cats because we need our own little empaths to help us after we have taken on so much.My daughter is an empath herself and I know she has brought home 3 of our 5 strays herself and I have claimed the other 2 So they are drawn to us And when we are having bad days they don't leave our sidesWe have no problem with dogs but there isn't the same calming balance as their is with our cats And I know I won't ever go with out one I LOVE my kitties Orange and white tabby seem to be our preference maybe each family of empaths has their own breed of furry friends that acts as their balance, or maybe cats are universal (My orange tabby's are so calm natured that's why it seems like they are empaths of animals) regaurdless I know having fur balls around sure make an unbalanced world more tolerable : )
MintyEmpathy
@mintyempathy
2 years ago
157 posts
If you treat a dog a currten way like you pat them and say hi there hou lille cutie coochy furball. They will start treating you like i you pat there snout they will nose your hand
MintyEmpathy
@mintyempathy
2 years ago
157 posts
Also cats a more attachted to empaths becasue since they have oppisite emotions to humans like if you rub a kittens belly they will scratch you its actually teaching you to defend our self also grown up cats do so too well i guess cats must be able to sense empaths so they came to them for food or if you pat them they will let you and not others even if they feed them So quiet often cats came to you if your an empath because they can feel empaths emotions so some times empaths notice being able to speak to cats or at least know what they want i learnt this all from my cat not saying only cats can do this sometimes my dog cames to me when i am upset and everynight when everyone is in bed she cames to my room to check on me and my sis my bro and older sis then picks who to sleep with normmaly my mum and step dad but some times she sleeps half the night with one person then another she has done this since she was an pup
Dianne
@dianne
2 years ago
6 posts
I believe animal Empaths exist. I had a sick kitty(George) at the vet. I called to see if I could pick him up, I was told that he had just died. I went home, slumped on the couch, closed my eyes and cried. My other cat Fred, came and sat on my chest. When I eventually opened my eyes, Fred's face was saturated with his tears. He knew.We had a big sweet dog named Sandy. My kid broke his collar bone. He didn't want to climb the stairs. We put up a barricade where one door had been removed to the den. Sandy sailed over it and landed on the floor next to his bad side. She sniffed him, walked to the foot of the bed, and then walked up on his good side. She lay down with her head on his chest. She stayed by him until started feeling better. Sandy was usually a very bouncy big ole puppy.Another time she blocked a boy as he was heading down the hall that lead to the bathroom. She was bumping him, and stopping him from passing. My husband and I were saying "Sandy, let him go to the bathroom. Don't know why she's acting like this". Then the little boy looked up at us, mildly confused, and we realized that he was sleepwalking. He went back to bed. Straight down the hall was a glass door, then concrete steps.I think all living things share a life force. Some are more in tune, some are better at math.
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
2 years ago
729 posts

I agree Dianne, completely!

Jenny2
@jenny2
2 years ago
3 posts
I felt the aame way about my Lhasa that passed away almost two yrs ago now. We communicated somehow. Those huge brown eyes spoke to me somehow lol.
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Not at all. I love dogs more than anything, but cats seem attracted to me too. Probably because I will pet anything furry and soft that's sitting in front of me. But I'm definitely a dog person, and a strong empath.

Ithink we're all empaths, just to different degrees. Even the most shut-off people feel others' vibes; if you look in their eyes and watch their body language, you can see it even if they aren't aware of it.

I see a lot of anthropomorphism in these comments. Shame on you (I scold you gently)! Animals are very empathic, but they're simple (though very intelligent)creatures. Cats are not superior to dogs or vice versa. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, cats not as long so they're a little wilder. Dogs are pack animals; cats are not. Both species were sent to us as companions and guides.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,185 posts

I've always preferred cats and had them most of my life; far too many to count. I had 9 at one time in college.

I've also had 2 hamsters, a parakeet, a cockatiel, a giant Flemish rabbit, and 3 dogs.

Despite loving them all very much, I would've said I prefer cats until we got our rescue Corgi. She had a long term disability like I do, and she helped me by showing me her courage and her big Corgi smile in spite of all she went through. She will always have a special place in my heart as a result.

I do think cats can see spirits though. All of us who've had them know what I am talking about! Of course, in my case, you see nothing but the smile I leave behind, lol........

Cheshire Cat

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

I love all animals but have gotten more attached to the dogs I've had (only two since I get so attached it kills me when I loose them). I've had many cats, tho. My ex bought a two foot long iguana once that I didn't want but eventually I got attached to him too. Snakes are another matter...

Alexandria Coleman
@alexandria-coleman
2 years ago
3 posts
From as far back as I can recall I have had a special bond with cats over any other animal. Something about them speaks to me. I can look into their eyes and see the love they have and want to share.
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts
That's funny :) I think you might be right! That's what it seems like for me, too
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts
I prefer cats, but I'm allergic to them (lol)I think what makes me so drawn to cats is that I can relate to them better than dogs - dogs seem sonewhat overeager, needy, and oblivious, whereas cats are more aware (more "awake"), more independent, more cautious, and they tend to have softer fur :)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book