Ladies does this happen to you?

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
6 months ago
197 posts

So I have noticed something that is both interesting and annoying. When I am getting close to my menstrual cycle, my empathic tendencies become much more sensitive. I wonder if it is because are emotions are processed in the sacral chakra. I couldn't figure it out before because I have never had a regular cycle. But in the last two years things have change. During this time it's much easier to feel the energy around me, but I absorb strong energies more and it is much harder, but not impossible, to ground them. Once I start I go back to be a normal empath. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
6 months ago
79 posts

Yes, definitely. And as far as I know it's common. There are ways to help yourself with that with nutrition, movement and rest (worked on that for a while, you can PM me if interested at all). 

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
6 months ago
197 posts
Thank you. I will pm you if I have more questions. I just needed to know if it was just me.
TigerLily
TigerLily
@tigerlily
6 months ago
409 posts
Do you get overly emotional? I noticed the past several months I'll just start becoming overly emotional. I thought it was the hormones. Wait, past several months is when i started this new job.
Maybe it is picking up others emotions around, because it started at that time. Oh so weird! And here I thought I may need meds to control it.
Nea
Nea
@nea
6 months ago
218 posts

Hormones definitely make me more sensitive, especially I easily get depressed and easily pick up on things I wouldn't otherwise. I usually take it as a sign that I need to slow down and take care of myself more.

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
6 months ago
197 posts
@tigerlily It's not that I get overly emotional it's like my empathic radar is out of control and I become a sponge. I just started using a combo of jet and black tourmaline when I sleep. It's helped me get my control back. It was just a funny revelation to me and i wanted to know if it was just me. Now I'm wondering if I can learn to harness that extra strength. Once I realized what was happening it became kinda fun. I know that may sound weird but I really enjoy being an empath.
sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
6 months ago
79 posts

@crystalsage if you enjoy that stuff ... there's also some materials out there concerning how to use the monthly cycle in spiritual ways, so to speak, i.e. how to make use of those fluctuations in energy during the cycle and e.g. harness the moments when you're more sensitive (meaning: also more open in a way) for specific practices. unfortunately i don't have any info on that in English (can offer Spanish and Polish) but I am sure if you google around you will bump into that.

it was even mentioned in Carlos Castaneda's books -- not sure if these books are a fluke (probable), but still that's where i first found it. it's described there how witches in training use specific points in the cycle to facilitate entering specific states of consciousness related to shamanic journeys etc.

e.g. specifically there's supposed to be a point maybe 2-3 days before menstruation (will depend on the person) during which the "sheath" separating the worlds is especially thin ... etc :) every kind of weird thing. 

so if you're into that kind of stuff, might be interesting for you to look into once you are cycling again. it's cool in certain ways.

i'm a bit trans (having gender dysphoria but not transitioning) and really hated my body for being female for a looong time (ever since teenage) and in a sense that's also what drove me at a point to really research into the positive spiritual aspects on it, and i can tell you that there are some interesting ones. finding those has helped me deal with things but i think it's even cooler to dig into that if you enjoy being female anyways ;-)

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
6 months ago
79 posts

and the general idea in most of these "spiritual" / holistic approaches is that the monthly cycle is a bit like a yin-yang thing, that different moments have different energy and are best for different kinds of activities. 

specifically, the beginning of menstruation is like the new moon or the winter solstice -- dark, deep, introverted. from there, the energy starts to grow towards more activity, energy, extraversion, which reaches it's peak in ovulation. that first half of the cycle is best for high-energy activities that are directed to the outside (social stuff, travel, heavily physical activities, strenuous stuff etc.). ovulation is peak of that, it's like the full moon or the summer solstice. from there, the energy starts to think to the more introverted and sensitive side, kind of like the beginning of autumn and early winter -- it becomes more "cosy", and more introverted and self-care activities come more naturally. it makes more sense then to direct less energy to the outside and more to the inside, say to self-care and closeness and spiritual growth and introspection (and stuff like shamanic journeying or artistic expression etc.). it's like the energy on a long winter evening, say. 

that's kind of the theory. 

the idea is that you feel more comfortable if you follow that rhythm as much as possible (find your own version of it that fits your life), rather than fight it by trying to always function in exactly the same way / rhythm, or even pushing yourself to do the opposite of what's currently natural in the cycle. 

i think not everyone feels it that strongly or in the same way, but i'd say it's something to explore especially if you're an empath and into spiritual stuff / self development. 

i'd also say it does help with the PMS-like oversensitivity stuff -- helps to know that it's simply a time that is designed for more "introverted" activities, for having more space to yourself and that just has to be respected -- then there's less clashing. 

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
6 months ago
79 posts

also, respecting the "introverted" time by giving yourself space is rewarded by getting a big natural "boost" of energy in the more extraverted times, at least in my experience.

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
6 months ago
79 posts

@crystalsage also i don't think it's weird at all that you enjoy. being an empath certainly comes with some cool thrills, you just got to take care not to get over-thrilled on a daily basis so to speak. ;-)

crystalsage
crystalsage
@crystalsage
6 months ago
197 posts
@sasha-supertramp that sounds amazing. I am definitely going to look into it. I have often felt out of balance with my own energy and have been trying to find ways to get a natural rhythm going but never knew how. I have times where meditation comes as easy as breathing and other times when I just can't do it. Over the last couple of years I have been just going with the flow so when I feel like meditating I do, when I feel like talking to people I do etc...

I never thought of it like an actual rhythm but reading your post makes me want to explore this more. I have noticed that since I started just flowing with life being an empath has become enjoyable and easy to deal with most of the the time. I didn't really understand why but I also didn't question it. I also noticed that it is so much easier to differ between what's me and what I am picking up.

I've always Been very nonchalant just naturally. However when I moved to a big city the mood swings started. I actually never dealt with p.s. until I was in my late 20's and I started my cycle when I was 9. It wasn't until the city.

As a child I flowed very naturally as an empath, in fact didn't know I was one until about three years ago when things got really tough. I couldn't figure it out because like I said I have always been nonchalant.
Since I have started paying more attention I have actually gone back to my care free self. Which has been amazing.

It's really interesting, sometimes when I am around people who are really experiencing some type of pain in life I feel their energy jump into me the way a child jumps into their caregiver's arms. I have learned since how to deal with that. Which is why what was going o n with my cycle struck me as odd. It was like why is this energy trapped here and why do I hurt. Anyway I could go on all day.

Thanks So much for the info.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book