What's it like to be a balanced / developed empath?

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
4 months ago
79 posts

Just curious if any of you have, like me, realised that you are an empath only when you got into a "mystery crisis" which turned out to be empath overwhelm, and then worked your way out of it.

How does it feel different to be an empath at that stage?

(How) did the workings of your "empath sense" change?

Did you learn to "tune down" your level of empath perceptions in specific situation or in general?

Or perhaps your learnt to control them, as in – directing them at specific situations / people that you want to have energy information on, but not be bothered by it otherwise?

Or have you perhaps learned to turn your empath radar completely "on" and "off" at will? 

Or perhaps you are an empath but never had to go through a crisis because you always knew (or learnt early on – where and how?) how to use your gifts?

Any other comments, stories, observations?

I'd love to hear them. 

krosskelt
@krosskelt
4 months ago
50 posts

I learned I was an empath in my mid-teens, now almost 40.  From that time until the birth of my first child I explored my abilities, formed shielding, and felt like I was "on my path".  After the birth of my child I became so involved in that, and trying to make a better life for us, that I didn't have time for my spiritual journey. 

I stuffed it all down in my abdominal area and suppressed it the best I could.  I still had symptoms and problems from being an empath, but I did my best to ignore them.  I ended up feeling like something was missing in my life though.

About 5 years ago all of it built up.  Financial, legal, work, friends growing distant....all problems, just stacking up against me.  I felt like I needed a connection.  In the process of making that, I made things worse.  Then boom!

I had what I call a reawakening one day.  All my "problems" of the past were laid out before me, and I was shown the reason for needing to go through all of it.  I was supposed to learn and experience each one of them.  The next 24hrs I had a "data download" period where information just compiled from nowhere.  Things of the past made sense, visions of the future, request from god/guides/spirit/gia came in.  Things about people in my life that I hadn't taken the time to notice were pointed out to me.

I "came out" to my wife as an empath for the first time in almost 20 years.  The first time to anybody really.  Once she understood what an empath was and read some definitions, I made so much more sense to her.  She helped me find groups like this one, and realize I wasn't alone. (alien origin still not counted out though)

Since then I have been stumbling down my path again on my spiritual journey.  I had the strength, knowledge, and drive to overcome all our financial, legal, and work issues.  Balanced most days, fall off sometimes, and developing still/always.

gemini
@gemini
4 months ago
2 posts
A crisis with an ex friend led me down a path of discovery. I was able to put a name to what I was, an empath. I never knew about it before. I also learned what a narcissist was. Which I also knew nothing about till then. I had a major awakening. It started with me having a breakdown. Then all of a sudden I started writing my feelings down & everything just came up. Things I haven't thought about in years or ever. It was like something took over me. I learned alot about myself & other people too. Never looked back.
sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
3 months ago
79 posts

Hi all, thanks a lot for the interesting replies. 

You're both describing a kind of break-through experience, with suddenly making intuitive connections and making new meaning and progressing very quickly. I'm very familiar with that, it's happened in my life numerous times actually. But i didn't realise other people get that. 

@krosskelt it's great your wife helped you find groups/support. and i totally get the "coming out" issue -- i've had several "coming outs" and i have to say that coming out as an empath (i don't use that word in my circles, but as someone who has visions, feels "presences" and senses stuff over distance) was actually far more stressing than the gay part, haha. (tho i suppose that really depends on where you live.)

concerning "coming out" i only did that last year to a few people, but i have to say that actually since then it looks like my mental/emotional wellbeing has improved a lot. i didn't realise that not talking about or using these things was costing so much energy; hiding who i am basically. 

i may actually post a post asking how many people did that too. because i can't really explain why i never told anyone, even though i saw and sensed things since early childhood. i just somehow sensed a strong "taboo" on it that i only broke through at age 33. 

Nea
Nea
@nea
3 months ago
215 posts

I'm on the path of learning skills that balances me on a level I never thought possible when I first discovered I was an empath. I haven't mastered those skills completely yet, it will take alot of practice and patience for sure, but I know what to do now and what happens so I don't have to panic or be concerned. These skills cover alot of different levels, from clearing my energy field to removing empath patterns and cords. It has been life changing for sure, and then I have alot to learn still. But I feel like I have space to me myself alot more, which is great. It's like instead of being in the eye of the storm, I am learning to side step it, and be like 'nice storm' oh well. I'm still affected by the storm, but I'm not overwhelmed by it.

sasha.w
sasha.w
@sasha-supertramp
3 months ago
79 posts

@Nea thanks for sharing. I think you are the only person who actually answered the question on how you feel different now, which is what I was after here :)

Nea:

But I feel like I have space to me myself alot more, which is great. It's like instead of being in the eye of the storm, I am learning to side step it, and be like 'nice storm' oh well. I'm still affected by the storm, but I'm not overwhelmed by it.

that's great. and I relate to both; i needed a lot of work on empath issues to even kind of start feeling (like) myself, to come back to finding the threat that is my own identity and feelings among all that random noise signal from everywhere. i think i'd lost it for years, was unable to say what i feel, want, desire, who i am etc. after working on this, it's quite miraculous how i feel that my sense of "self" is slowly coming back and feeling more and more solid ... and how i'm also able to show and assert that sense in daily life more and more. 

is this similar to what you mean or was your case less extreme?

"space" in a way nails it, too.

and the storm metaphor ... ya, that took me a long time, but that's what i actually feel my meditation practice did for me. that wasn't just about empath stuff though, i had quite intense emotions and "mystical experiences" or whatever you want to call them always, so i needed to practice meditation for years just to not get swept up by that. and then when i learnt i'm an empath, i'm applying the same skills now, just with a different perspective.

it's like you say, the storm doesn't necessarily calm dawn (certainly not instantly) but you find a standing ground, some kind of inner independence from it. in my case very, very gradually.

it's like you re-shape yourself to deal with it differently. and i think after a long period of practice, the relative size of the storm changes, as in a way you "zoom out" and that creates mental space. also very slowly i could realise that in some small ways, i do have control, e.g. i can stop doing certain things that magnify it. 

thanks!

Nea
Nea
@nea
3 months ago
215 posts

@sashaw Yes, from what I've gleaned, since empaths spend alot of time getting tangled up in other people's energy, when you are free from other people's energy for the first time, it's quite something. It's like you're lost in the identities of other people that obfuscate who you really are.
It feels freeing, but also it requires some work to figure out who you are, sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder I've found. But it feels great to start on that path.

Understanding yourself is so important. Ofcourse empaths need to work on their whole self, not just the empath part. If there are other parts that need working on, you can't treat it as different things, because the body doesn't differentiate between the systems - it's one whole system. So in my case I needed to learn about being HSP, Empath, and about LLI.

I've gained alot more confidence, and I've started to trust myself and my mind and my instincts more. It's a continual process ofcourse, but it feels like I can be who I really am, whoever that person might be. It's quite exciting to find out.

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book