Understanding Major Depression And Suicide

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

I was torn about posting on such a dark topic. But I know this time of year we empaths are really pushed to the wall emotionally due to the millions of people who around us are depressed, anxious, and really sad. I'm starting to hear more and more words like "giving up" and "I can’t take it anymore". And sometimes empaths and non-empaths sink into a hole of depression that is really hard to get out of. Their reality is distorted and it feels to them like there is no way out. From time to time on this website I see people coming in posting for desperate help. And then there are some that come right out and admit to be thinking about suicide. In an effort to get the word out for prevention I wanted to post some things that I hope will start a useful discussion and ultimately save someone from ending their life. And at the very least I hope to help others understand the scientific and spiritual components that lead to a person having suicidal thoughts.

Science and medicine have taught us that people who are suicidal have depression so bad that the brain chemical GABA is almost non-existent. GABA’s role is to inhibit neuron activity. If you think about the gas pedal and brakes on a car, GABA is the brakes. GABA is underrepresented in the frontopolar brain cortex of people with major depressive disorder who commit suicide. The frontopolar cortex is involved in higher-order thinking, such as decision making. When GABA is very low or non-existent, depressed emotions take over and logic and sane thinking goes out the window. (Reference: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-origins-of-suicidal-brains). Empaths through our wiring and what we deal with on a daily basis can often be GABA deficient. And that contributes to depression and sometimes a downward spiral. The good news is that GABA can be supplemented to increase this brain chemical back to normal levels that can pull someone out of that dark hole. There are also very effective anti-depressive drugs that do a good job pulling a person back from the brink. If you or someone you know is having severe depression or suicidal thoughts, please take these steps:

1. Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

1. Seek medical attention and ask your doctor to treat you with a focus on raising GABA levels.

The above comments help explain the medical and scientific side of major depression and suicide and how to get help. But what is not widely known is what happens to a person spiritually when they are at the end of their rope wanting out of this world. I came across this very informative and interesting blog post from Erin Pavlina that I wanted to share that helps explain the spiritual side of a highly depressed suicidal person. This info. really made sense to me and helps us understand how one's weakened spiritual health can lead to a suicidal act.

https://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2017/12/how-suicidal-thoughts-look-energetically-and-how-to-overcome-suicidal-feelings/

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
4 months ago
754 posts
@hop-daddy
What a wonderful idea to post this....yes, it is dark but sometimes we have to look into the dark to find the light. Good time of year to do it also, the lack of sunlight in the northern hemisphere coupled with the pressure of the holidays and just the sad state of what seem to be the whole world.

I have had depression pretty much all my life, runs in the family. My grandpa committed suicide when I was a child. I have been on depression medication for over 20 years....occasionally I will be able to wean myself off of it but I alway seem to manage having to take it again, albeit a much lower dose than years ago. We as empaths seem to have lower energies seeping into our bodies just from the environment so we have to remember to take care of ourselves. This is not selfish but necessary. I do feel I need to mention medication....I take one that has been on the market since the 60’s...tried and true. It appears that some of the newer medications seem to have a side effect which I find disturbing. This is causing thoughts of suicide. This to me seems crazy that something you are taking for depression would cause such thoughts as the two go hand in hand. Just last week an acquaintance had that very same thing happen. The drug that he was taking was his ultimate demise...sad. If someone is considering treatment, don’t hesitate to ask for something that has been on the market a while rather than what is popular at the time. Not saying that this would happen to anyone else taking the newer drugs, but still something to be considered.

The spiritual article resonated with me for a few years ago I was very suicidal, had a life threatening car accident (not on purpose) which I did meet my guardian angel that let me know it was not my time. I had never felt so loved and calm as when he was there helping me. Since that time my thoughts don’t go there.....thankfully. To this day I do not see the accident as bad...it was a message delivered to me personally by The angelic realm. It literally changed my life....also the beginning of my awakening. Everyone needs to remember that no situation will last forever, we need to keep this in mind that “this too shall pass”. So when we are feeling in the depths of hell, that just like a roller coaster, you will go back up to the top eventually. To anyone reading this that is in the dark mire of depression.....you are never as alone as you feel.
Blessings
updated by @cat-whisperer: 12/22/17 06:08:03AM
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

@cat-whisperer:

Thank you. I'm glad this resonated with you. I was reading Erin Pavlina's weekly blog post and saw this one. And I thought it would be a good topic to share info. on. I'm very glad to hear that you have worked through your dark times. And through medication and grounding have found balance and happiness in your life.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

Thank you @hop-daddy,

I am just starting into my 2nd year of a slow, agonizing withdrawal from a drug that raises GABA, and accordingly, my blood tests show no readable levels of that, or any other neurotransmitters, for that matter. I still have about 7 months to go in withdrawal and barely sleep at all. Supplements I mention below are responsible for the only sleep I get. 

As a result, I've been diagnosed with double depression, which is persistent depression with an episode of major depression on top of it. The persistent depression I already had is due to having a horrible disease with an astronomical 26% successful suicide rate, for which I was given this drug in the first place. I also have a genetic defect in serotonin transport, which makes anti-depressants have totally no affect on me. I rely on foods and natural products like fish oil and L-theanine and L-tryptophan, and also Seriphos, which is the only thing that has made withdrawal bearable. 

The article in the link helped me to see a course of action that I have not tried. I've been meditating since I was 17, and am now 66, but even though I was not depressed until I got sick in middle age, I have never seen my chakras even come close to connecting with each other when aligning them, like she says they should. I also  have been told by people who have read me, that I am "leaking" chi out of tiny holes in my aura. Now I can concentrate on fixing these things when I visualize them each morning. 

Thanks so much for posting that link. Have you ever had a reading with Ms. Pavlina?

Cheshire Cat

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

@cheshire-cat:

So you don't respond well to raising GABA? Or was it just the drug that was not a good fit for you? I do know that treating brain chemistry is tricky since it is hard to get things past the blood-brain barrier to have an impact. I went the natural route with my naturopath and took supplements that over time brought my GABA back to normal levels. And it was night and day how it changed me for the better.

And you brought up the spiritual part of all of this that is that there are probably limits to what medicine can do when your chakras are disconnected or out of alignment. Hopefully you can get some healing help and start feeling better.

I have not yet had a reading by Erin Pavlina. But I do enjoy her weekly blog postings. And ironically, my wife just bought me a reading with her for Christmas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

Hi @hop-daddy,

Sure, I respond to raising GABA. However, I do not want to be on the only class of drug that does it which is more addictive than heroin any longer, benzodiazepines. They are also now proven to cause dementia and take about 20 yrs. off life. I have been rapidly losing my memory and other mental abilities over the past couple of years, as well as going into tolerace withdrawal.

11 million Americans are on benzos. It is especially bad for older people like me. Many countries are removing it from people cold turkey now, and so are many docs here in the USA.  That is literally killing them. So, I decided to go off, against my doctor's wishes, since he was afraid it would kill me. I did not care. Benzos are depressants, and I am depressed. Depression is worse than death, so I was determined to do whatever it takes to try to get off this crap. Going off it safely takes about one month of withdrawal for each year you've been on it, though it is still hell to go off of,  and I was put on it for muscle spasms 34 yrs. ago. 

It is very important when one's GABA receptors are trying to recover from such damage, that the drug not be replaced with a natural product that simply fills the receptors just like the drug did, still preventing the brain from recovering it's ability to make it's own GABA. Passion Flower does that, as do several other natural things. The largest benzo withdrawal forum has a whole section for people withdrawing from passion flower, which they innocently used to get off benzos and are now addicted to. So I stick only to supplements that raise GABA without binding to the GABA receptors, like L-theanine. As a result, it does not work as well, but it does help and hopefully, I will not be one of the 20% of benzo users they are now finding out will never recover. 

Using my daily chakra visualization, I have already been able to get my chakras  to touch each other. I will keep working at it. 

I take L-theanine, L-glutamine, L-tryptophan (all separated from each other), Natural Calm, Melatonin, Niacinamide, Pantothenic acid and NAC, and once in awhile I take Lithium Orotate, though I have to watch that one, since I am hypothyroid. I take Seriphos when my stress is severe, since the withdrawal is the hardest thing I've ever done. I read a blog by a female doctor in her late 30's, who withdrew from benzos along with 6 of her doctor girlfriends. She tried to do it in 6 weeks, like the Rehabs make you do it. She ended up having to close her practice for 4 yrs. and have round the clock care for 10 months of that because she forgot how to do even basic things. She made it, but all 6 of her friends committed suicide. As she writes, if you can get through benzo withdrawal, you are made of titanium after that and can get through anything!

What did you take to get your GABA normalized? Were your other neurotransmitters all low, like mine are? I am glad you succeeded!

Cheshire Cat

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

@cheshire-cat, I know in many cases an anti-depressant could be the difference between life and death for a depressed person. Obviously there are side effects to most of those. But sometimes you need that pharma help. I tried an anti-depressant and did not tolerate it well. I ended up working with my naturopath to find some natural ways to restore my brain chemicals and it has worked pretty good.

But adding GAMA producing foods is a way to better things. Here are some diet tips on foods that naturally produce GABA:

Feel good GABA-producing foods include:

• Almonds
  • Tree nuts
  • Bananas
  • Beef Liver
  • Broccoli
  • Brown Rice
  • Halibut
  • Mackerel
  • Lentils
  • Oats, whole grain
  • Oranges, citrus fruits
  • Rice bran
  • Spinach
  • Walnuts

Whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran

As noted, the tricky thing about supplementing GABA is to find products that are formulated so that they can cross the blood brain barrier. Here are three that you can buy without prescription that work really well to calm your mind and body:

Deproloft: This is a natural anti-depressant that you can buy on Amazon and other places without prescription. After trying out a pharmaceutical anti-depressant and hating it, I have been on this for 2 years. I take 2 a day. My doctor recommended 4 a day but I found that it made me too sleepy so I cut it back to 2 a day. This has been a game changer for balancing my mood and for getting my mind right. My empath teenage son is also on this and it has worked wonders for him as well.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/thorne-research-deproloft-hf-120-veggie-caps/38530

Tranquility: I am stable enough now that I rarely take this. But I used to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon and it did a great job mellowing out my anxiety. It makes me feel calm like after a glass of wine feeling. I now only take one when I have a bad day.

https://www.mpn8.com/formulas/tranquility/

Sleep Easy: I still take one of these supplements most nights. It not only does a great job helping me sleep, but I wake up feeling balanced and rested.

https://www.naturalathleteclinic.com/products/sleep-easy-by-mountain-peak-nutritionals?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=31832316622

*While all of the above are helpful in the short run, you will see much larger improvements after 2-4 weeks of taking them daily.

*I wanted to note that since I am not a doctor that the above are just examples of what I have taken under a doctor’s care to calm my mind and boost my GABA levels. If anyone is interested in trying these out they should seek the advice of a naturopathic doctor before taking any supplements.

@cheshire-cat, I see that you are not a fan of Passion Flower. The Sleep Easy product has 100 mg of Passion Flower in it. That’s a small amount and I have not had any issue with it. But thanks for pointing out your concerns. I think you also told me previously that an ingredient in the Deproloft raised your blood pressure? I have not had any negative side effects at all from the above supplements. But it is always wise to run these by a doctor first.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

Hi @hop-daddy,

Now that I looked up all 3 products you use, I remember we had this exact discussion before! I don't know if you remember that I am only a dissertation away from being a Naturopathic Doctor. I did not finish, since it is illegal to practice in my state and two people I know went to prison for five years for it. My ARNP therapist who is helping me withdraw from the drug is also holistic and does 17 pages of genetic tests on new patients as well as full hormone panels and anything else needed.

I already eat large amounts of almost all the listed foods, except for the liver and rice. I have a genetic serotonin transport defect that makes antidepressants totally ineffective, which is why I take several grams of L-tryptophan every night. It is also why my mother's whole family were depressed. 

Deproloft - I cannot take vitamin B6 in any form again due to having had B6 neuropathy from taking too much of it, and I only took 150 mgs. daily. The WORST pain of my life and took a year to get rid of. Be careful! I cannot take Tyrosine, or Rhodolia due to stroke level blood pressure, cannot take 5-HTP due to serious heart rhythm problems (this reaction is common in those with any kind of heart problem, and it is recommended that they take L-tryptophan instead....it more safely does the same thing). I was on a heart monitor for a whole month due to taking 5HTP and Tyrosine in a formula for Fibromyalgia called NeuroReplete. Every time I stood up my blood pressure and heart rate soared. 

Sleep Easy - Can't take passion flower due to it's being addictive for Benzo addicts; as I said before it fills GABA receptors. Natural is not automatically safe. I am very allergic to both Hops and Chamomile. Nobody with Ragweed allergy should take Chamomile without testing it first. 

Tranquility - can't take passion flower as above. Won't take Kava as it can be addictive and can cause serious liver damage. There are other safer things that I prefer. 

I am glad these things work for you without harming you and that you only take them when needed.

May you continue to be blessed. I am glad you feel so much better,

Cheshire Cat

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

@cheshire-cat:

I'm sorry to hear you have so many unique health circumstances that conflict with some of these things. It sounds like those Benzos really caused you problems. I really hope that you can find some things to make you feel better. 

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

@hop-daddy,

Just to clarify, most of my many serious health problems are caused by late stage Lyme disease that was misdiagnosed first as multiple sclerosis for 4 yrs., then under diagnosed as fibromyalgia for 17 long years, until it was too late. Lyme is only curable in stage I. I am in stage III or IV, depending on the system of classification you use. It's the final stage, either way. 

The drug is only responsible for it's own withdrawal symptoms, which are severe insomnia, very high cortisol with shaking, tachycardia, severe anxiety, and other consequences of very little sleep over the long time it takes to withdraw, especially blood sugar abnormalities and adrenal fatigue, and some brain damage and that is all not unique to me, sadly for all the others who take these drugs.

Research now shows that benzos cause dementia in most people who take them for any length of time, or even rarely, and should never be taken long term, which is why doctors are now taking people off them, but because most doctors are ignorant, they think you can just stop taking them like alcohol or opiates and go through a short withdrawal. That is not true for benzodiazepines. Short withdrawal from benzos can kill you. Big Pharma deceived us yet again to make money, not caring what it did to the people who took these drugs. These other benzos were marketed as a non-addictive replacement for valium, also a benzo, when sales of that lagged due to the finding that it was addictive. 

I have found some things that help a lot, thank you. I could never have gone through a whole year of withdrawal so far without the drug clonidine, or the supplement Seriphos. Those are the two most important helpers for me. I need to work on raising ALL my neurotransmitters, not just GABA, as they are all too low, as are my manufacturing of tears, saliva, digestive enzymes, collagen, transport proteins, methyl donors and other things. Since my adrenals are shot, I am focusing on raising my parasympathetic neurohormones and avoiding raising the sympathetic ones for now. My sympathetic nervous system is already in overdrive with no GABA to put the brakes on it, and it can take years to get GABA back to par after taking benzos for so long, if it ever comes back. 

I have written a book here sorry. I am just hoping someone will see this and decide to get off their benzos too, s-l-o-w-l-y, the only safe way. I am betting plenty of empaths are taking them, given how they numb emotion and calm down excess stimulation.

Cheshire Cat

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
668 posts

@cheshire-cat:

I appreciate the detail. I wasn't sure which drugs were Benzos so I looked it up. And I found that Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, and Ativan were some of the big name Benzos on the market. It is estimated that 5-10% of Americans are on those drugs. Very scary.

I am sorry to hear about your personal struggle with Lyme disease and all of the problems that it has caused you. However, it does seem that you have survived and thrived. And you have been a very positive community member. I always enjoy your insights.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

Howdy @hop-daddy,

I apologize! I have secondary fibromyalgia and am so used to talking with people who are taking benzos, especially Klonopin, a favorite drug of fibromyalgia patients everywhere,  that I assumed others knew what they were and which drugs they were. I should have listed them. You know what they say about the word "assume".......  ;-)

Generic Xanax is what I was on, known as alprazolam. I am finally off that for a whole month now, after 34 yrs. of taking it around the clock, but am still on a small dose (5 mgs.)  of valium aka diazepam, which has a much longer half life, so is used to even out the huge drop offs that occur if one tries to withdraw directly from xanax, not recommended! I have worked down from 10 mgs. valium over the past month and will be switching to 2 mg. tabs this weekend, so I can cut off smaller pieces as I keep going. 

Some other benzos are Halcion, Restoril, and Dalmane, which are stronger ones used for sleep, not just anxiety. Also Versed, used in medical procedures is a benzo, so people who get off benzos must make sure they get propofol during procedures like EGDs, not versed! Once I get done with withdrawal, I intend to get a new Medical Alert necklace, which says NO BENZOS in huge letters on the front. 

The last figure I saw was 11% of Americans. A pharmacist we know personally told me valium is by far the number one prescription drug they sell at the pharmacy where she works. Doctors are now limiting new prescriptions to no more than 6 weeks, but I know someone who became addicted enough to go through withdrawal after only 4 days of taking Xanax! It depends on your genes. If you have first degree relatives who were alcoholics, for example, avoid benzos like your life depends on it, since benzos are alcohol in a pill, in terms of the effect they have on GABA.....it is virtually the same addiction. 

This is now entering TMI territory. Anyone who wants more info can PM me. Thanks for letting me sound off on here. I am on a mission to try to prevent everyone I can from ending up hooked on this junk. Even though they tell me I am dependent, not addicted, there is zero difference when it comes to the hell of withdrawing from it. 

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,249 posts

P. S. Here is a positive idea for depression.....

I forgot to mention that vitamin B3 is a relatively new addition to my supplement repertoire, and it is really helping the depression already. I use non-flush niacinamide at 500 mgs. twice daily, but most people don't need that high a dose.  This version of B3 also helps control essential tremor. 

I am using the non-flush version, but for those who also want the cardiovascular benefits, the flushing version can be used, just start around 25 mgs. and raise it very slowly.

Do not take B3 if on blood thinning drugs w/o medical supervision. I would also avoid the flushing version if you have a mast cell disorder.

C. Cat

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book