Intuition vs. assumption

To post a reply, login or signup

water_lily
@water-lily
2 weeks ago
90 posts

I came across this question: What is the difference between intuition an assumption? The best answer I could give is that I feel what I consider intuition from my heart and what I consider to be assumptions from my head. However, I don't feel entirely satisfied with that answer, and that is bothering me. What do you think; how would you define the difference between intuition and assumption?

Zacharias
@zacharias
2 weeks ago
84 posts

Sounds about right. Intuition comes to me when I'm not actively trying to figure people out. it's impression without thought. Assumption just make an ass out of u and mption. (Sorry, that's just funny to me.) Really though, people assume things based on fear, worry, conceit, selfishness, despise and all those other emotions the entities feed on. I know this because that's what I feel from them when they make assumptions of me and other people. The idea is to refuse to feel those emotions and choose to feel positive ones. That's when intuition comes to you. I find it better not to think about it much. 

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 weeks ago
726 posts
@zacharias is right, intuition will come when not thinking about it. So, yes, it comes from the heart/solar plexus whereas assumption comes from the head...or to be more exact, the ego self, which resides in the head. First impression would be more the intuition....then unfortunately the ego starts to “reason” which then makes you doubt the intuition.
Have you ever had those first impressions just to reason it away...then go back to say....I wish I would have listened to my gut? More times than I can count, but getting a lot better at telling the ego to shut up, lol.
updated by @cat-whisperer: 11/06/17 06:43:13AM
Zacharias
@zacharias
2 weeks ago
84 posts

Yes, and the more you listen to that first gut feeling the stronger your intuition becomes. It take confidence in knowing that small voice inside is right after all. So the more you believe in yourself, the louder that voice gets. Now we could argue about where that voice comes from, but it's the belief that is important. It comes from faith that what your hearing is real. Doubt is fear of being wrong. That's the ego trying to protect itself. So you either give in to the fear and feed it, or give in to the belief and feed that instead. It's easier for me to believe knowing that voice isn't mine. It doesn't come from me, and the purpose of it is well beyond my feeble mind to comprehend. I thank God I have it. It's a gift we can never earn on our own.

TigerLily
@tigerlily
one week ago
308 posts
I get that actually feelings or emotions. This is how I feel between good or bad. If intuition is saying no, its literally a bad feeling in my stomach, sometimes nauseating. If the intuition says yes. The feeling is throughout my body like a chill, and goosebumps feeling.

I'm a very logically person, so naturally when the brain and intuition are against each other, my body feels like it's trembling. But intuition always wins in the long run. No logic can explain it.

And I agree with zach about assumption, you only look like an ass if you do. I think it's a funny statement too. But, your intuition should tell you too. I get that bad gut feeling when I assume something.
Zacharias
@zacharias
one week ago
84 posts

Most people seem to make assumptions based on what is called "Common Sense". Which is really absence of logic. In stead of thinking critically, they go along with what others believe is right. They look to people they see as educated or prominent in some way to form their opinions. They hold on to these ideas and fervently defend them. Intuition many times tells us the opposite is true. I hold to the belief that 80% of conventional wisdom is wrong(it may be higher). Because of this I do things in unconventional ways. I think this is why we doubt our intuition. It go's against the grain. It tells us to follow our own path and not to just join the herd and hope the person in front has a map. It tells me to do things contrary to human nature. It's blind trust in something much less tangible. A belief in what is beyond our normal senses. It makes it hard to discern what is true based on logic alone.   

water_lily
@water-lily
one week ago
90 posts

Thank you all for your input!

DanCZ
@dancz
2 days ago
5 posts

Hello, I can only go off of what I've read and been told.  However, for me the problem was always determining what is intuition and what is anxiety based.  Essentially, if it is your intuition, there will be a calmness and clarity that attends the intuition.  Specific advice given to me to determine intuitions from dreams, for example, was to meditate on the matter itself.  Or specifically what you think your intuition is telling you.  If you're filled with peace, certainty, etc, then it is intuition.  Whereas if you feel anxiety, fear, strong emotions, then likely it is not.  I know it's not in keeping with some of the thoughts given above, but perhaps it depends on the person as well.  Like I said, the peace and calm is important for me because I have to distinguish between intuition and anxiety.  Whereas this might not be a problem for you.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book