Other people's effect on Perception

To post a reply, login or signup

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 months ago
151 posts
Hey everyone! I've been actively working to better understand myself and my body really since I found out I was an empath 2 years ago. I've been spending a lot of time alone and enjoying it, and recently I've noticed that when I go around certain people, like certain family members or friends, my perception changes. I might get a little more close-minded or I might start taking the world in a certain way or be more likely to take a side I wouldn't usually take on an issue. It's odd, and I can usually pick up on it now, but does anyone else do this or relate to it? It feels a little deeper than just "mirroring" someone or being a chameleon, but I do think it's closely related to those things. It literally feels like I take on the person or group of peoples "world view" to me. It's hard to explain... Any thoughts?
Lastars
@lastars
3 months ago
97 posts

Signs of a healer. When you can feel this way you can also know other things about the person. If you have the ability to perceive like this you also have the ability to change things for ppl too. It is this way for me with animals too.

you might want to learn about shapeshifters too.

Zacharias
@zacharias
3 months ago
91 posts

This is the main reason I did not like being an empath. It's difficult to win an argument when your emotions become their emotions. You see the situation from their point of view and give in, even when they are wrong. After just about every conversation I wonder why I said what I said or went along without knowing why at the time. It makes competition extremely difficult if not impossible. On the opposite side, when someone is angry at me for some perceived slight I'm am immediately angry at them. Even if I have no reason to be.

I see it as my responsibly in those tough social interactions to overcome the emotional manipulation. I don't blame them anymore. I just deal. I do it by turning down the volume to 0, and putting up a shield. Through practice this is something you can do very quickly. I have to be mindful of what can happen in any conversation, especially with family. It still isn't easy, but don't let it get you down. Overcome it.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 months ago
151 posts
Thank you @lastars I will look into all those things!
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 months ago
151 posts
Thank you for the response @zacharias. The biggest reason I wanted to post this was because i didn't like who I "became" and how I experience things around my family.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
3 months ago
733 posts
I can relate to this, especially @zacharias point of view with arguments. I never really thought about that aspect before reading it. I always wondered why in an argument situation I would come away feeling a little defeated, just to realize later after getting away from the situation that I should have been more "said this or done that" that better reflected my point of view. I'm better at this than I used to be....but sometimes still a struggle.
Zacharias
@zacharias
3 months ago
91 posts

Also, I feel about myself the way the other person feels about me. I think this is what your talking about @loconnoro. So the judgmental people make me feel like utter crap sometimes. In those situations we have to remind ourselves who we really are. That's where grounding and flushing becomes very useful. Otherwise, I end up being and acting the way they perceive me. It's a fulfillment of their judgement, and is sucks. The trick I found with new people is to send out my perception of myself before they start to make those judgments. 

If you haven't read it I recommend a little e-book that helped me:

http://empathzone.com/images/stories/empaths-basics1.pdf

Snap
@snap
3 months ago
103 posts

LoconnorO: Hey everyone! I've been actively working to better understand myself and my body really since I found out I was an empath 2 years ago. I've been spending a lot of time alone and enjoying it, and recently I've noticed that when I go around certain people, like certain family members or friends, my perception changes. I might get a little more close-minded or I might start taking the world in a certain way or be more likely to take a side I wouldn't usually take on an issue. It's odd, and I can usually pick up on it now, but does anyone else do this or relate to it? It feels a little deeper than just "mirroring" someone or being a chameleon, but I do think it's closely related to those things. It literally feels like I take on the person or group of peoples "world view" to me. It's hard to explain... Any thoughts?

I relate definitely. If you don't know, check out what Rising or Ascendant sign you are in VEDIC astrology (NOT western). If your ascendant (just about to rise at the time you were born) is Pisces, it's classic to mirror and mold yourself to others. I sometimes wonder what the hell I'm saying to people. On the other hand, I'm also very principled, and it only goes to far. If someone's actions just aren't right, mirroring and molding is gone. Also, if energy is affecting me badly, I am getting more and more disciplined in saying "no", or just avoiding the person. Amazing how often you can avoid people practically speaking, if you make a concerted effort.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
3 months ago
151 posts

@snap

I definitely agree with what you're saying. The reason I asked the question was because I would start mirroring people and I could tell it wasn't "me" or just a tiny "piece" of me for some people. It's annoying because once I realize it I just get really awkward... Thank you for the comment!

eri_ameonna
@eri-ameonna
2 months ago
38 posts

Zacharias:

So the judgmental people make me feel like utter crap sometimes. In those situations we have to remind ourselves who we really are. That's where grounding and flushing becomes very useful. Otherwise, I end up being and acting the way they perceive me. It's a fulfillment of their judgement, and is sucks. The trick I found with new people is to send out my perception of myself before they start to make those judgments. 

Oh man, that was why I act a certain way around some people, even though I know it's not like me to act like that. I have to keep on mastering grounding and flushing, so that other people do not get to dictate who I am as a person. This is such an eye-opener, thanks

updated by @eri-ameonna: 10/01/17 12:03:12AM
Rene''
@rene
2 months ago
1,194 posts
Yes. I can relate. I’m my opinion, even after the awakening, there is steps we go though as our awareness heightens and we step into our higher self which is a more pure form. We start to see the big picture as we balance ourself and people we are use to being around seems petty now with their judgement of others. We seem to see them in a new light. That’s one reason I backed away from most of my family and friends. They things they talked about before isn’t “ok” with me now. The harsh judgement they cast on things and people they don’t know anything about hurt me to listen to. I try to keep my energy high and I don’t like being around negative people anymore even though I’m some cases it’s hard to avoid. I carry a ground stone with me every where. Stay well grounded, and if your grounding methods arnt enough, add different techniques to your grounding process. Hope that helps.
4peace
@4peace
2 months ago
187 posts

OH man I had this happen when I was teaching.  1/2 of the class was extremely conservative, the other was completely liberal.  Unfortunately, in Psychology, you have to teach sexual orientation.  I got blasted from both sides while teaching.  Extremely uncomfortable, and my feelings actually went back and forth, although I'm pretty liberal.  I had to start wearing a ton crystals to block it out - but by that time it was the end of the semester.  Worst job of teaching I ever did!!!

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
2 months ago
151 posts

thanks so much for the comments, and yes I can definitely relate with you @4peace, I'm currently in college, I lean liberal (more of the classical liberal, really) and my family is very very conservative. Most of my classes are incredibly split, although they usually lean liberal.

Thank you for the comments! @rene I will definitely try some other ways to stay grounded! (I've been meditating more and it's really helping)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book