30 Traits of an Empath

To post a reply, login or signup

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
535 posts

I found this pretty good summary online of empath traits that I thought many of you would enjoy reading. It ties in with many of our recent discussions about fatigue issues and health challenges that include stomach and back pain. I checked the box for the majority of traits on the list. How about you?

https://theknowing1.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/at-a-glance-30-traits-of-an-empath/

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
4 months ago
274 posts

When I meet other (potential) empaths, I like to keep it down to just a few questions:

• Were you described as “over-sensitive” as a child?
  • Do you avoid crowds?
  • Do you sense when someone is not telling the truth?
  • Do you experience emotions for reasons that you often don’t understand and can’t control?
  • Do you pick up energy from other people?

I used to include: "Do you avoid watching the news and sad or violent movies?" but I've met plenty of empaths who don't avoid these.

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
535 posts

@trevor-lewis:

When I first saw this article I was like geez, 30 traits. That seemed a bit much. But when I read it I realized that I checked the box yes on all but about two. But I did like that the article talked a bit about exhaustion and how empaths can have stomach and lower back problems due to absorbing energy through the solar plexus. This is something I don't usually see addressed in articles but yet plagues quite a few of us.

And funny thing on your last comment. I love movies (especially action movies). And I'm a bit of a news junkie. But yet the negative builds up at times where I have to avoid both. It just goes to show that while empaths can be quite similar, we can differ quite a bit as well.

lightstorm
@lightstorm
4 months ago
12 posts
@hop-daddy
Quite interesting. I found 26/30 that apply very strongly. Thanks for sharing!
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
4 months ago
733 posts
Thanks @hop-daddy
All but 3 apply to me
updated by @cat-whisperer: 08/09/17 01:28:02PM
Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
91 posts

I've taken the empath test many times over the years, and it's always these 30 traits that I score 29 out of 30. Number 4 is about how you react to images on a screen. I didn't understand why this is considered an empathic trait. I think it has more to do with how we believe we should feel about it that how we actually do. These scenes of war and horror on the nightly news don't affect me directly, yet I get an idea of what it's like living in a war torn country and sympathize with their plight. The only time I'm directly affected is in a movie theater. I remember seeing Tron 2.0 and being so overwhelmed by it I couldn't drive home. It was a very physical experience. I thought this was the greatest movie of all time! After seeing it again at home I was much less impressed. 

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
4 months ago
1,194 posts

I think that is a very good list. For me it's a yes to everything except not liking the antiques. I like unique and interesting looking items, and also have severe chemical sensitivities, so older is better. I would rather buy an antique and sage it to get rid of anything attached to it than get something new and have to let it outgass for two months before I can even bring it in the house. 

I would also add food to the addiction list in #11. Comfort foods like chocolate help raise chemicals that make us feel less negative and I am not good at clearing negativity I pick up. I go for the bitter cacao bits and tell myself it's healthy, lol. I do see mention of this later on in the article, under protective belly fat. 

I have noticed what Trevor said about movies and news. I have one empath friend who actually loves horror shows. I have major adrenal fatigue, and notice that my tolerance for such things waxes and wanes with where I am on the adrenal fatigue scale. I also think many empaths deal with adrenal fatigue, though they may not know that is what it is called. Right now, it is really bad for me due to high physical stressors, and I had to stop watching two favorite TV series because I can't take the violence anymore. I never watch TV news, since I sense it has little relation to the truth. ;-)

gypsymedicinewoman
@itzachilatlan
4 months ago
2 posts

I can relate to every one of these traits. I had seen this article several months ago, when I was just figuring out what name to put to my way of being ... and reading it again now it is 100% accurate. Nice to know others experience this. It feels so rare sometimes. 

Zacharias
@zacharias
4 months ago
91 posts

The thing about antiques is some times it's good energy and some times it's more negative. I would much rather buy new stuff and spend a little more. My wife use to go thrifting and fill the house with trash she bought at garage sales. That drove me out of the house. It wasn't my home. I moved out to the workshop. She doesn't do the goodwill/yard sale thing anymore now that she understands it affects my Daughter as well.

I have an old leather chair I picked up off the curb that I couldn't let get thrown away, so I repaired it and am sitting in it right now.  It was the chair of a General, and a collage student. After I fixed it, I left it covered in the garage for about six months waiting for that energy to clear. If I had known how to clear it myself I could have saved some time. I still feel the Generals energy but not the collage campus type energy.  

I just figured out who the chair belonged too: Major General Clarence Reuben Autery, Sr of the US Air Force 

updated by @zacharias: 08/10/17 09:11:52AM
empphire
@empphire
4 months ago
19 posts

Thanks for the link @hop-daddy :) I feel like all of these points except maybe 2 and a half of them. Articles and lists like these are what I first looked at when learning about empaths, and was so excited when I felt like some one could actually understand me because these traits described me so well! But I'm wondering if other people score high on this, even without being considered an empath? (I know the wording of that question is a little weird).

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
4 months ago
535 posts

@empphire:

I'm glad you liked it. You bring up a good point. In fact while science and generally accepted medical practices don't really believe in empaths, they do have a term called highly sensitive person. And some of the traits of these HSPs sound like empaths, while others don't. The HSP definition really sounds more like an extreme introvert versus empaths who feel emotion and interpret energy. It’s the feeling energy and knowing as well as other unusual traits that really separates empaths from HSPs.

But to answer your question, I would imagine a non-empath sensitive person would probably say yes to up to half of that list of questions. Whereas I think based on the feedback I have heard, most empaths check the box on about 85% or more of that list. I scored 28 out of 30 myself.

empphire
@empphire
4 months ago
19 posts

Thanks @hop-daddy

Your explanation makes sense by including the HSP definition for comparison! I'm always amazed at how well how I feel like I can relate to these lists and descriptions so well, but have to remind myself that other people aren't always feeling the same way (which I find very interesting!).

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book