Is There An Empath-ADHD Connection?

To post a reply, login or signup

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
7 months ago
504 posts

I find that on certain days when my empathy is strongest that I find it really hard to focus and concentrate on projects. On those days it feels like my mind has been hijacked and I'm mentally pulled in different directions. I did a little research and it appears that ADD/ADHD is a trait common to many empaths. That's news to me but does seem to make sense. I would guess  that as I get better at controlling the incoming volume signal on my empathy that I will be able to restore my focus. But since I am not there yet I would love to hear if others here share the same challenge as well as how you manage it?  Thanks for sharing your stories.

updated by @hop-daddy: 09/18/17 05:02:02PM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
7 months ago
726 posts
I find that if I'm alone, my concentration is good, however, if I am around too many people...especially with "issues" I am a complete space cadet, lol. So I think your on to something there @hop-daddy. I usually have to get away from people and be alone to get my thoughts back in line and not bouncing all over the place. On really intense days I have to take a salt bath...that usually helps me.
Blessing
trishanhthu
@trishanhthu
7 months ago
1 posts

Hi hop-daddy, I believe you are very much right. We are very much aligned with one another because after all we are all one right?  I am in the same situation as you are.

Documentary about hybrid Indigo, Crystal Children and Lightworkers (VICE Documentary):

https://youtu.be/K30wxRxuWTs

I hope this video will help you a litte.

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
7 months ago
504 posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It almost sounds like many of us don't have clinical ADD/ADHD, but exhibit similar traits due to our minds doing so many things due to our empathy.

I used to have exceptional concentration skills. But as my empathy has grown in recent years I seem to lose my mind at times. And what I mean by that is my mind will unexpectedly get pulled in different directions with many unrelated thoughts to the point where I lose control and ignore the task that I should be doing. Or I just get a lot of noise in my mind where my head just feels heavy and I start feeling anxious and my chest gets tight. This happens most often when I am in crowds. But oddly, I get the ADD distractions at my relatively quiet workplace. But I guess I could be picking up on others in the office complex.

I just posted some questions on narcissists. And as that topic relates to this one, when I run into one I can feel their energy trying to tap into my mind to figure me out (or steal my energy). I also get this with emotional troubled or needy people who can equally be energy vampires. In all these cases I get weakened and foggy-brained while communicating with them. And it takes quite a while to recover. I find myself drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day trying to shake my mind daze and to get my own energy and focus back. Has anyone had any success with herbal supplements that help sharpen focus?

updated by @hop-daddy: 04/28/17 12:27:25PM
Corey Easton
@corey-easton
7 months ago
62 posts

Yes I have been through that a lot in the past, I work on computers so feeling like your being pulled in a million directions can make it very difficult to work especially when someone is standing behind me, and also paying attention in college. What has helped me regain my focus and bypass the attention problem I was having is realizing focusing on my gifts is number one. What I mean by that is if I am fixing someone's computer my focus is not concentrated on the job I am doing with the computer work, that is just camouflage for the actual healing I am doing behind the scenes. You see no job is greater then the healing we are doing. If we are focused on our job in front of us our healing ability is going to try to over power our mind cause it is way more important. It is going to be hard at first but put 100% of your focus  on your healing. so all the directions I am being pulled in I allow my gift to do the healing and put it #1 over everything. Even though you would think you job would be harder doing it this way it has made my job and even college 10 times easier.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
7 months ago
151 posts

I personally believe that many Empaths are diagnosed with ADHD. When I go into crowded, public places and I'm not with a more extroverted person who thrives and is comfortable there, I get overstimulated by everything going on. A lot of times I end up finding whoever is feeling the strongest emotion in the room and only then I stop looking around constantly. I look like a nervous wreck, and it's awful because I feel the people I'm with staring at me in confusion, and then looking at others. I get screwed up lol xD. I also get distracted in papers and things. To me, everything is connected and related in some way, and some of my papers drift off of the topic. To more "structure" minded people this makes no sense, but others who are very abstract like me, it can turn into an amazing conversation. All of my English teachers either loved me or hated me lol xD. I also have a very broad spectrum of interests. I love Science and especially Anatomy, but I also love Philosophy, and I also love art and music. My Reading and music lists are from just about every genre. I definitely seem like i have ADHD and ADD, and even though it's exhausting, I never want to get rid of it with medicine ... (Medicine and chemicals and how they affect our bodies and inhibit us is a topic of a different discussion lol xD)

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
7 months ago
151 posts

Hop Daddy:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It almost sounds like many of us don't have clinical ADD/ADHD, but exhibit similar traits due to our minds doing so many things due to our empathy.

I used to have exceptional concentration skills. But as my empathy has grown in recent years I seem to lose my mind at times. And what I mean by that is my mind will unexpectedly get pulled in different directions with many unrelated thoughts to the point where I lose control and ignore the task that I should be doing. Or I just get a lot of noise in my mind where my head just feels heavy and I start feeling anxious and my chest gets tight. This happens most often when I am in crowds. But oddly, I get the ADD distractions at my relatively quiet workplace. But I guess I could be picking up on others in the office complex.

I just posted some questions on narcissists. And as that topic relates to this one, when I run into one I can feel their energy trying to tap into my mind to figure me out (or steal my energy). I also get this with emotional troubled or needy people who can equally be energy vampires. In all these cases I get weakened and foggy-brained while communicating with them. And it takes quite a while to recover. I find myself drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day trying to shake my mind daze and to get my own energy and focus back. Has anyone had any success with herbal supplements that help sharpen focus?

What you said about Narcissist I relate to completely. Even when they show you love, it doesn't feel right, its still feels like a pull or something being taken. Especially when they touch you. When someone loves you, it feels safe, warm, comfortable. It's a balance.. When a narcissist who has decided they love you touches you, it's this pull ... you can literally feel the one-sided-ness from the "Love" they offer...

I would highly recommend calming herbal teas, it takes a while to get off of coffee, but between that and finding time to just sit and work on relaxing and feeling out my body, I have become much more relaxed, and even confident in myself. I just found that coffee would give me anxiety when I was trying to be calm (Maybe you relate in your office setting?) Best of luck either way!

@hop-daddy

updated by @loconnoro: 04/28/17 01:46:49PM
Aiden
@aiden
7 months ago
32 posts

trishanhthu:

Hi hop-daddy, I believe you are very much right. We are very much aligned with one another because after all we are all one right?  I am in the same situation as you are.

Documentary about hybrid Indigo, Crystal Children and Lightworkers (VICE Documentary):

https://youtu.be/K30wxRxuWTs

I hope this video will help you a litte.

Thank you for sharing this video. In the last year or so, 3 individuals I know have been told they were empaths by their therapists. They initially reached out to a therapist for bipolar disorder , anxiety, ADHD and depression. As an empath, I can say that I have probably experienced and felt signs of a little bit of each of these diagnosis' before I was aware of being an empath and learning how to live with it. Although some of them are being medicated, it is nice to see that some professionals are taking other possibilities into consideration as well.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book