Relationship Between Stress And Empathy?

To post a reply, login or signup

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
502 posts

I have always noticed that when I get filled up with stress and anxiety for a few days that my empath skills really accelerate. This is particularly the case if I am also short on sleep. I tend to pick up on people's feelings with much greater strength. And I also see an uptick in paranormal activities around me (banging on walls when no one is there, ringing and whispering in my ears, sometimes objects will move etc...). And conversely, when I am in a good place and am calm, my empathy weakens (although I do have to wonder if my use of protection and grounding crystals for calming may also be weakening my skills).

My 13 year old daughter is also an empath. And she has been overloaded lately with stress from her school workload and her competitive dance schedule. And this past Saturday she heard a gravely almost electronic voice call out her name in her bedroom. We normally would be more freaked out but she has been contacted by spirits throughout most of her life. Although I will say it was a little unnerving to have this entity call her by name. But my point is to ask all of you if you also notice your empathy skills accelerating when you are stressed or really exhausted? And if anyone knows why this happens I would love to get some opinions.

updated by @hop-daddy: 07/04/17 06:34:34PM
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
9 months ago
867 posts

What I've noticed is that when we are stressed, etc. it breaks down our defenses so to speak which allows us to be more sensitive to our surroundings.

TigerLily
@tigerlily
9 months ago
308 posts
This is a interesting topic. Does the stress just heighten our sensitivity?? I recently saw an apparition the other day, and I haven't seen anything in a while. But I was under a lot of stress where my chest hurt and thought the stress was that high I was seeing things. I've also been having alot of vivid dreams again and my gut has been spot on. But sometimes there days wherelated I just feel like a tornado from all the stress amd emotions in a given situation. Feels like I was at a rock concert or night club when I'm finally alone.
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
9 months ago
230 posts

Yes, what an interesting topic! :) I'm the same way! When my physical health is at all compromised my empathic abilities increase. But it's an interesting cycle, sort of: feeling so much, and being so sensitive to others seems to create more health problems/stress for me, so if I am somehow able to distance myself, then I sometimes get back to a better place physically. Crazy stuff! Long story short, you're not alone <3

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
9 months ago
230 posts

:gr_10 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="10" data-gr-id="10">TigerLily"] This is a interesting topic. Does the stress just heighten our sensitivity?? I recently saw an apparition the other day, and I haven't seen anything in a while. But I was under a lot of stress where my chest hurt and thought the stress was that high I was seeing things. I've also been having alot of vivid dreams again and my gut has been spot on. But sometimes there days wherelated I just feel like a tornado from all the stress amd emotions in a given situation. Feels like I was at a rock concert or night club when I'm finally alone.

I think stress heightens our sensitivity because it triggers our nervous systems. It seems to me like our -already sensitive- nervous systems are what make us "super-responders," as we've been called, and stress just amplifies.. But that's just a theory!

That sounds really rough with having such intense stress!! I hope things have gotten better for you since then/that they will get better soon <3

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
502 posts

It sounds like most of us have the same experience with stress and having our skills pick up considerably. I also notice this when I am sleep deprived. 

I also wonder why the ghost/spirit activity picks up so much when I am in a stressed state? I always think to myself "great, they are here to kick me when I am down". But I think there is more to it than that. They seem to be much more attracted to me when I feel like that. They seem to follow me. There must be something to this.

CalMidwester
@calmidwester
9 months ago
108 posts
Definitely things are harder when I'm sleep deprived, which is often these days.
TigerLily
@tigerlily
9 months ago
308 posts
@hop-daddy, I like to think "positive" that the spirits are around to comfort us and that it will be ok. But it kind of freaks me out more in a way when I'm that heightened that we can feel or see them. I'm still spooked by them. I guess since I had one attached to me once (I was told that the spirit safe and protected with me) But, as for the dreams I've had about spirits, they all have been good.

The other thing I heard, is all that stress we have alot more energy which the spirits like as well. But I think that stress energy is more negative attracting negative. Please tell me if I'm wrong on that, because I really like to the more positive approach on it I mentioned in the beginning lol.

And yes, that much stress is just awful, but I pick it up at work. Which I'm looking to get out of.
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
502 posts

@tigerlily:

I agree with what you are saying. I even read that in a book recently that some spirits feel energized from empath stress or anxiety energy. I think that's why they seem to pop up more often when we aren't rested and grounded. But I also think @nocturnes-angel had a great point about us being more sensitive when our defenses are down.

TigerLily
@tigerlily
9 months ago
308 posts
I do agree with what everyone is saying. It all makes more sense now. But that darn anxiety with stress then makes my mind wander causing me more stress lol.
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
9 months ago
502 posts

I know, a vicious circle. I will say when I have really good weeks and am well-grounded with minimal anxiety that I have a lot less ghosts popping up in my life.

Hermes.V
@hermes
9 months ago
104 posts
This discussion bring to the fore some very good points. I quite agree with how when stressed, we do tend to be more sensitive. There is a theory where if you imagine awareness a a small circle, everything that is inside of the circle are things you are aware of and anything outside is that which you are unaware of. Focusing this circle into a tiny dot means that you are acutely aware of a particular sense or channel of information, wile filtering out other information. Expanding this circle means you are aware of many sources of information simultanesously perhaps even pass the limits of comprehension. Moving this circle means that you take in an alternative source of information.
My theory here is that when we are stressed out, the self / body defocuses from the normal physical senses and instead relies more on the empathic senses for information. When cortisol levels rise it has been known that many body functions will shut down. To counter this loss of source of information, the self then relies more on other sources, among them the empathic and psychic senses.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book