Empath Related Illnesses

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 years ago
896 posts

I am just about done with a doozy of a round of the flu. And despite being clinically really healthy, I tend to have stressful periods of my life immediately follow with illness. This is usually my own fault for being too busy to relax, ground, and take care of myself. The last few weeks have been incredibly busy with work, family, and keeping up required holiday appearances every spare moment of each day. And sure enough I started crashing and burning at the end and picked up something really nasty. And while everyone gets the flu from time to time, I get it 10 times worse despite having a well-functioning immune system. I'm just wondering if any of you have stories to share where taking in too much stress as an empath produced physical ailments? And what spiritually preventative things you are doing to avoid getting sick again in the future?

updated by @hop-daddy: 09/01/18 04:25:14PM
Rene''
Rene''
@rene
2 years ago
1,195 posts
I have always had stomach issues. They first called it a nervous stomach then stomach spasms. Probably due to a awful child hood. I also have asthma that at the moment is out of control. Usually the breathing techniques with meditation helps me.

I have always been a nervous person. I use to cry a lot as a child then as an adult it turned to anger. I think the anger was a defense thing
Kit Kat
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
232 posts

I can relate SO much. I'm pretty sure I'd be "super healthy" without being an empath, so long as I still had all these health tricks in my arsenal (that I've been forced into learning by, you guessed it: health problems) haha :) 

Most of my issues have revolved around gut/abdominal health, kind of like rene mentioned with her stomach issues. I carry most of my emotion there, and it's made worse by how many nerves are centered there, especially because I'm introverted (of course) so I'm sensitive to most 'stimulation.' I've had chronic digestive issues, including abdominal pain (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), an anxiety disorder, teeth grinding at night, acid reflux, random aches and pains, lower back pain, allergies & food sensitivities (dust mites and corn, soy, wheat...etc.etc.etc.), a cyst in my sinuses (had to have sinus surgery), highly fluctuating weight gain and weight loss, sensitivities to anesthesia, and lots of other issues. 

What's hilarious is that I'm still in my 20s ;) "optimal" time of life, right? 

If anyone ever wants to discuss health with me, I'm down! I love getting & giving advice on this topic... 

I do think stress is killer. Way too many illnesses are caused by it. What I've been focusing on is breathing in particular. I think life can be so overwhelming for us, that it's easy for people like us to forget to breathe deeply (taking breath into the abdomen, primarily, before breathing out). If I get to the end of the day and realize I did well with even just breathing, I feel pretty accomplished.. (kind of funny)

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
2 years ago
896 posts

I too have constant stomach issues. Mostly soreness that radiates by my solar plexus. My stomach swells up like a beach ball at times. I had an endoscopy done and it was inconclusive and doc said he couldn't figure out why I didn't feel well. I take acid blockers but they only help a little and contribute to other health issues. As a result I am trying to get off those. But long story short, it seems a lot of us empaths have stomach issues due to what we take in from the world. I did a test one day and while my stomach was especially swollen I did a long, deep meditation & grounding. And an hour later my stomach went flat. I just get do darned busy I can't seem to find that kind of spare time or privacy each day for meditation. But I'm getting more convinced by the day that I need to find the time.

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
767 posts
@hop-daddy
I'm no expert but it sounds like you need to do some major self care. This time of year can be especially stressful with like you said the holiday appearances...which used to put me in a bad place both mentally and physically. However, I have found that it is extremely important to put yourself first and foremost. If that means bowing out of a few appearances...so be it, if you have to be there, disappear for a while and ground, chill and shield. It's ok to say no...no explaining needed. This was very hard for me but it is getting easier. As for physical illness and emotion, all the crap comes in through my digestive system. Every time.... but I have found taking care of myself helps immensely. I still have issues but not like I did in the past before getting a handle on how much I expose myself to without self care.
Blessings
Lotusfly
Lotusfly
@lotusfly
last year
410 posts

Kit Kat:

I can relate SO much. I'm pretty sure I'd be "super healthy" without being an empath, so long as I still had all these health tricks in my arsenal (that I've been forced into learning by, you guessed it: health problems) haha :) 

Most of my issues have revolved around gut/abdominal health, kind of like rene mentioned with her stomach issues. I carry most of my emotion there, and it's made worse by how many nerves are centered there, especially because I'm introverted (of course) so I'm sensitive to most 'stimulation.' I've had chronic digestive issues, including abdominal pain (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), an anxiety disorder, teeth grinding at night, acid reflux, random aches and pains, lower back pain, allergies & food sensitivities (dust mites and corn, soy, wheat...etc.etc.etc.), a cyst in my sinuses (had to have sinus surgery), highly fluctuating weight gain and weight loss, sensitivities to anesthesia, and lots of other issues. 

What's hilarious is that I'm still in my 20s ;) "optimal" time of life, right? 

If anyone ever wants to discuss health with me, I'm down! I love getting & giving advice on this topic... 

I do think stress is killer. Way too many illnesses are caused by it. What I've been focusing on is breathing in particular. I think life can be so overwhelming for us, that it's easy for people like us to forget to breathe deeply (taking breath into the abdomen, primarily, before breathing out). If I get to the end of the day and realize I did well with even just breathing, I feel pretty accomplished.. (kind of funny)

Hi Kit Kat,

I believe stress is the number one killer of people. The government and economic system has people working in overdrive. And then when they aren't working they relax with alcohol and TV, neither of which is helpful at reducing stress levels. 

I believe in a healthy lifestyle. I'm vegetarian, though still learning to maintain my weight with this new way of eating. My weight, too, has fluctuated significantly (between a 130 pound range). I've worked at improving my health for the last 17 years, trying all different techniques. There is not a one-size-fits-all for everyone. Though limiting sugar, regular exercise, and daily meditation/relaxation seem to work well for everyone :)

Blessings~

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

Thanks for all the feedback. So according to some websites and books I've read on empaths, most of us have stomach issues as we get the residual negative stuck there around that chakra. And secondly, there is apparently a common theme with empaths to be a little over weight with extra cushion around the middle. It's supposedly a form of protection that we create subconsiously. Anyway, being a guy I tend to put on weight around my middle anyway. But I will say as my empathy has grown in the last year I certainly have gained stomach weight. But I wonder how much of this is side effect of dealing with anxiety most days through comfort snacking & drinking beer to relax? I was curious if the weight gain rings true with any of you?

TigerLily
TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
425 posts
I've had this as well. And with everyone else I have gut issues and it eventually turned into "you'll be diabetic in a few years" per my dr. Stress alone I can't handle, my face literally gets white and I look sick. Past few months have been hard on me as well, got to the point today that I say "F it" yet again :)
We all know we need to take care of ourselves better, but our strong empathy for everyone gets in the way.

@bunnigirl
last year
0 posts
Hi all! totallyyy relate. My stomach is the issue plus emptional eating never helped. I dont really have that issue anymore but takong in emotions blows up my stomach and now i know its not what i eat as i eat much healthier. i eat all the pain around me. I am having big changes in my life and in addition to feeling loss i am feeling the pain of the person that i am having a huge life change with. on top of that i am still helping those around me and getting more psychic and once i so called heal their physical/emotional pain it goes into my body and i feel it and can't run to the woods or away from people to release it...it is really good to know that we all have a common which is the stomach region. I was told to listen to my gut and not my mental mind so its no wonder i cant hear shit lol. i had to lighten this up here...:) we will get through all of this together helping each other as we do by just opening up and receiving help which is hard for empaths to do...
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
767 posts
@hop-daddy
I am an exception to the rule on weight. When stressed, rather than comfort eating my appetite completely goes away. Even something as small as a disagreement with my hubby totally wipes out my appetite for days. If I do eat when in this state I literally feel like I'm gonna throw up. Also seemed to pick up my father's digestive issues this past summer so I had to pretty much go on a vegetable only diet...couple that with being a very active person. His gut was fixed, my appetite is back but not like before. Wish I could put on a few pounds sometimes....people don't seem to comment as openly when someone is heavy, but being small, people don't hold back the comments. I actually had a stranger walk up to me and ask me if I were anorexic years ago. Some nerve.

@bunnigirl
last year
0 posts
@corey-easton. I am gonna get that drink!
Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

@corey-easton:

Thanks for the tip on the drink. I'll have to find that. I have tried ginger supplements but didn't really see an improvement. Hopefully the drink will help.

I have always stored stress and negative in my stomach. What did you do to move where your body stores your stress?

Nocturne's Angel
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
last year
928 posts

Hop Daddy:

I am just about done with a doozy of a round of the flu. And despite being clinically really healthy, I tend to have stressful periods of my life immediately follow with illness. This is usually my own fault for being too busy to relax, ground, and take care of myself. The last few weeks have been incredibly busy with work, family, and keeping up required holiday appearances every spare moment of each day. And sure enough I started crashing and burning at the end and picked up something really nasty. And while everyone gets the flu from time to time, I get it 10 times worse despite having a well-functioning immune system. I'm just wondering if any of you have stories to share where taking in too much stress as an empath produced physical ailments? And what spiritually preventative things you are doing to avoid getting sick again in the future?

Have you tried Olive Leaf Supplements?

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

I will try out Olive Leaf Supplements. One thing I did do a year ago was take daily garlic supplements. They are really good at boosting immunity and kept me from getting sick for a full year. But I kind of crashed empathically in December from taking on too much stress and demands and not resting and grounding enough. And once my kids brought the germs home I got hit bad. But I'll check out olive leaf to see if that helps. Thanks.

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I have a whole arsenal of flu-be-gone products. Vitamin C, D3, B-complex, fish oil, calcium/magnesium to name a few. I always use liquid if I can instead of pills; it acts much faster. I have managed to avoid the flu for many, many years now, despite some very stressful situations. If I do get sick, it's for a few days only. I also stay warm, get lots of sleep, and avoid alcohol. I never get flu shots. I don't have a husband or kids (big risk factors, I know). I don't drink milk, juice, soda, or any milk-like product. Just water and coffee. It keeps my sinuses clear and working efficiently. Another helpful thing is ASMR - you can find it on YouTube. It's like meditation, very relaxing and pleasant.

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

Quick follow up. Since posting last on this I got sick again for the third time in about a month. This last one was the worst and was the flu and took about a week and a half to get over. I was in an auditorium in a packed crowd watching my daughter perform and a very sick 6 year old was sitting behind me. We know the kid's family well so I chose not to come off as rude by moving to sit somewhere else. However, my immunity was very low from recovering from other recent illnesses. And as the kid coughed and hacked over my shoulder it was all too easy for me to catch it. Like clock work, I got the full blown flu 48 hours later.

Anyway, my point to this was that while sick this last time I was on an empath black out. Just about all my abilities went away. I no longer felt anxious, stopped picking up on vibes from others, my crystals stopped connecting with me, my clairaudience stopped, and no more spirit encounters (which previously happened daily). I was of course miserable and generally felt awful. But as my daughter said, "Dad, you lost your superpowers". It was really odd. And I have to say that I missed it. I started feeling 100% back to normal 4 days ago and oddly my empathy has come back very slowly. I'm probably only now at about 50% of my normal abilities. Although I have noticed my abilities are gaining day by day.

I'm just curious if any of you have had a bad flu like this or medical event where you lost your empathy? And what's the deal with it coming back so slow now that I am healthy?

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,330 posts

Hop-daddy,

When I started my long withdrawal from benzos recently, the intense fear and anxiety to the point of terror that is generated even by slowly removing the drug took away almost all my abilities and my trust in my judgement. I assume they will not return until I am done withdrawing, which will take at least two years! I do miss them, and feel at a disadvantage when making decisions about people. Since fear is the very lowest vibration, I am not surprised this happened and am certainly not happy about it. 

You've gotten sick several times very close together, and your immunity may be low or your adrenals worn out. If so, it will take awhile to come back to normal, especially if it's low adrenal function and you don't treat yourself with great kindness, ie. put yourself first! Saying you are no longer anxious at all is a huge clue your adrenals may be worn out from all that sickness. If you look up "adrenal fatigue" you will find loads of suggestions on how to recover. 

Best wishes for your health,

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,330 posts

lucky-seven,

Of course I appreciate your prayers, and I will add you to my prayer list also. I am very glad your dad gave you a message that will keep you around. I've lived long enough to know the future is rarely what we imagine it to be, and most negative things we worry about never come to pass or end up having a good reason for them in the end,  though it may take a long time for the good part to arrive. I just have to remind myself of that a lot, and I hope you will too.

Take care,

C. Cat

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

@Cheshire Cat:

It didn't even occur to me that adrenal fatigue may have my immunity low. But that makes sense given how much emotion we deal with each day. I've had that before and used to take Adaptogens to try to build my adrenals back up. I'll try that again. Thanks for the tip.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,330 posts

Hop-Daddy,

For me the stress was producing massive amounts of cortisol, especially in the morning, when it's already highest. I am now on 3 supplements for that and am sleeping again and have even been able to speed up my withdrawal.

In the case of burnout, it's usually just the opposite and you could use higher cortisol, so adaptogens make sense, unless you have high blood pressure. I've found they all raise it a lot, no matter the claims to the contrary. I hope you have one that works for you. 

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,330 posts

lucky-seven,

Thank you for the prayers, and I will pray for you also. There is someone on YouTube named Victor Oddo who has a huge series of very practical videos on how to handle the awakening and many on being an empath that you may enjoy, if not already familiar with him. 

Hang in there,

C. Cat

Deborah Craig
Deborah Craig
@deborah-craig
last year
74 posts

@hip-daddy I was at a point I didn't want to feel or know anything about anybody!   I was told when I wanted to again, sit back and it will come to you..It's like trying to get a piece of wood out of the water,let it come to you.....I don't know if this will help you.😀

Deborah Craig
Deborah Craig
@deborah-craig
last year
74 posts

@ Kit Kat I totally agree that stress is the killer!....@hip-daddy I was sick for 1 yr with viruses.,at that time I didn't even think of being an empath...yrs later I found out I had Epstein Barr.and.My son had it also ...After that I found out yrs later I had fibromyalgia another auto immune! ..being a empath thinking right now,I did loose some..But when I really lost it was when I put my guard down around my family,all 2 of them! I had the ultimate trust in my son and brother..I knew something wasn't right,but I looked at myself rather than looking at them...I was destroyed 4 yrs ago and I'm working my way back, and the empath is back.This nightmare destroyed my body, as my conditioned worsened..through this, I was not picking up the evil..One he is a Catholic Priest,not because of that,it's because he was my brother...But to answer your question it's back..But now I'm feeling at times I'm picking up on my son from afar..At the time I didn't know that what we experienced had a name! I found a meme explaining what a empath was about 2 yrs ago...I think I said 10 in one comment,but that's wrong..even after finding out it had a name,this is the first time I really looked into it! 

Hop Daddy
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
896 posts

@deborah-craig:

I think there is a definite link between being an empath and having greater incidence of illness. It is already well known fact that stress causes people to get sick more often. And as empaths we carry so much anxiety and emotion that it makes sense that we can struggle at times to be healthy. I notice when I do a better job of being grounded and relaxed I don't get sick as often. 

@calmidwester:

Migraines and stomach issues are very common for empaths. In fact, most of us complain about stomach pain in the lower and upper areas of stomach (right near the solar plexus). I think some of this is due to dealing with a lot of anxiety that gets the stomach acids going. And then also the solar plexus is a very important chakra and nerve core for empaths. When we take in too much without grounding many of us can feel a pit or soreness right there. I've been to all sorts of doctors to try to solve this for me. Nothing has worked to make me feel better except doing a better job of grounding through meditation. So although what your daughter has may be treatable due to food allergies etc..., it also could be empath related pain. Empaths tend to run in families so I would be shocked if one of your children were not an empath.

Deborah Craig
Deborah Craig
@deborah-craig
last year
74 posts

@hip-daddy I Agree!

Kit Kat
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
232 posts

Hey everyone :) I just wanted to share this interesting site on here since it's really applicable to the discussion topic! It talks about how our emotions can be linked with our illnesses, and, to me, this explains (in part) why we empaths have more incidence of health problems:

http://alchemyofhealing.com/causes-of-symptoms-according-to-louise-hay/

We experience so many emotions on a daily basis, even secondarily! 

updated by @kit-kat: 02/25/17 11:36:26AM
Lotusfly
Lotusfly
@lotusfly
last year
410 posts

Really enjoyed your posts, Hermes. Thank you :)

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book