More female empaths than male?

To post a reply, login or signup

Shirley
@shirley
11 months ago
36 posts
I am just wondering if anyone knows if there are more female empaths than male empaths?
updated by @shirley: 08/22/17 07:31:56AM
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
11 months ago
272 posts

The easy answer is - ABSOLUTELY!

I usually find that men get outnumbered at least three or four to one (some people would put it as high as ten to one).  It gets more complex when you start to factor in how much more willing women are to talk about their emotions.  Now that I am "out of the closet" as an empath, I am starting to discover how many men are empaths, they just don't talk about it. Men get taught very early on that it is not OK to be sensitive so it gets hidden.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
11 months ago
272 posts

@lucky-sevenHehe! That's so typical!
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
11 months ago
502 posts

I would agree with what @trevor-lewis noted. The skill seems dominated by women. And most of the male empaths and mediums that I have met are gay. I am a bit of an odd-ball that I am a straight male empath. But I think it helps to get empathic perspective from all walks of life (male, female, gay etc...). We are all sensitive but with different perspectives on how we feel and see the world.

Snap
@snap
11 months ago
103 posts

I don't know. In Psychology 'we'd' investigate the statistical ratio of women to men, bur there's no such thing as an Empath, apparently :) I'd guess it's relatively even. I think as men we are much less likely to show we're Empaths. A colleague of mine (woman) used to tell me to get in touch with my masculine side. I take that as a compliment.

updated by @snap: 12/28/16 11:27:31PM
Shirley
@shirley
11 months ago
36 posts
@hop-daddy.
My father was one of two male empaths I know. He never let alot of people see his softer side. I also remember large crowds made him sick so he was never able to go to my school functions.
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
11 months ago
272 posts

I run a monthly Meetup for empaths in Asheville, NC.  Last night was the last was our final meeting of 2016 ... 5 men, 4 women!  :-)

@hop-daddy I can understand why most of the male empaths you meet are gay, they are already out of the closet for their sexuality so they have nothing to hide about their sensitivity. The straight empaths usually hide their sensitivity along with their empath abilities.  Honestly, you wouldn't be "a bit of an odd-ball" as a straight empath in Asheville .  Most of us are straight. In this town we have the space to be both.

updated by @trevor-lewis: 12/29/16 06:40:44AM
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
11 months ago
502 posts

I would love a local support group. So far no luck on that where I live in Phoenix, AZ. Sounds like I need to checkout Asheville, NC soon. Who knew? Happy

Shirley
@shirley
11 months ago
36 posts
Ashville, North Carolina sounds like a nice place. I really am curious about what it would feel like to visit there.
Visitor
@visitor
10 months ago
303 posts

I doubt it. Men have different methods of shielding, deflecting, denying, suppressing, but I think there are a lot of male empaths. I've met a lot of absorbent men - and boys. My youngest nephew is a powerful one.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
10 months ago
272 posts

@shirley:  Feel free to friend me and we can exchange more information if you are serious about visiting.

Shirley
@shirley
10 months ago
36 posts
Thank you! @trevor-lewis
Austin1977
@austin1977
10 months ago
20 posts
I think it is mostly difficult for us males to announce we are sensitive to the world. It doesn't strike masculinity. If you look at many angels they have a very feminine look.
I'm a male empath and I tell very little people about my gift.
Shirley
@shirley
10 months ago
36 posts
@austin1977
That does make alot of sense that males dont want to admit it.
I have only met two male empaths in my life. Im also thinking that there are very few empaths male or female where I live. The area doesnt have a good vibe at all.
Austin1977
@austin1977
10 months ago
20 posts
@shirley

I think it difficult for most of us to really open up about it. I relate it to opening up about your feelings romantic feelings to a crush. For me personally it's always been difficult to 'make the first move.' Once you open up about being gifted/empath you open a lot of doors. I think the older we get the more comfortable we become. I search for ways to be more open to because I want that connection. But it's difficult. To be honest I haven't ever really told my wife that I was an empath. And I think that she is an empath to. :) funny situation there.

I was born and raised in Denver Colorado. I now live in San Diego California. And have still have not met someone who is open about being an empath. I think once we learn how to be more vocal about it then we will find other like ourselves.

All of this sounds like a big learning lesson for me personally. It's actually bringing me a lot of joy forecasting my growth that I am going to be focusing on.
seanw4202
@seanw4202
10 months ago
54 posts

Thank you Austin I agree and exactly how I would of answered myself being a male, and just like any other difference, it causes social pressure to conform to a certain image of who you are, when in fact you are someone much deeper then most imagine, also easier as you age, I am getting close to 30 and my insecurities are just beginning to subside, while new ones develop as well, but now much more important issues weigh than before. I am more comfortable being myself handling them then I used to be especially when sensitivity is the best approach. 

RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
9 months ago
110 posts

I have found about 5 female Empaths on a few dating sites and they told me they  have met one or two male empaths....me just being the second one...lol

Online there  a lot of articles  about that there are more male or female Empaths...but it is more accepted to be female.

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
9 months ago
230 posts

Trevor Lewis:

I usually find that men get outnumbered at least three or four to one (some people would put it as high as ten to one).  It gets more complex when you start to factor in how much more willing women are to talk about their emotions.  Now that I am "out of the closet" as an empath, I am starting to discover how many men are empaths, they just don't talk about it. Men get taught very early on that it is not OK to be sensitive so it gets hidden.

So do you think that it's possible to stop yourself from being an empath? I'm just curious :) I have a narcissistic friend who, when he describes his childhood, sounds like he used to be an empath, but he chose to bury his empathic side underneath narcissism, a choice that he's currently trying to undo....

Hermes.V
@hermes
9 months ago
104 posts

Kit Kat:
Trevor Lewis:

So do you think that it's possible to stop yourself from being an empath? I'm just curious :) I have a narcissistic friend who, when he describes his childhood, sounds like he used to be an empath, but he chose to bury his empathic side underneath narcissism, a choice that he's currently trying to undo....

It's possible, yes. Empathy and narcissism are just two sides of the same coin. To understand narcissism fully, you have to understand empathy fully, and vice versa. Its sounds like when he finally embraces empathy, he will reach a high degree of wholeness. When you know yourself, you know the universe, and you know the two are not separate.

Visitor
@visitor
7 months ago
303 posts

Posts like these bother me, I have to admit. They're generalizations, and it's not a good idea to make great big assumptions on something we still know so little about. I didn't know I was empathic until a few years ago. It never occurred to me that there are more females. I would tread cautiously before making a blanket statement like this.

Kate
@kate
7 months ago
131 posts

Visitor:

Posts like these bother me, I have to admit. They're generalizations, and it's not a good idea to make great big assumptions on something we still know so little about. I didn't know I was empathic until a few years ago. It never occurred to me that there are more females. I would tread cautiously before making a blanket statement like this.

I agree with your concept, but differently. Many if not most people agree with females being more in tune to their empathic side or accepting it, but let me tell you why i think this happens, and why i don't see it as a blanket statement. It simply comes from how gender roles have been for centuries and how females have to bear and take care of children, so they have to be naturally in tune with the emotional needs of the other, and there's even the maternal/nursing instinct in there. Guys haven't been traditionally encouraged to polish these attributes, and might've been seen as weaknesses among their peers when shown. 

At the core, I strongly believe most of us are born fully able to become balanced empaths or intuitive thinkers, with 0 differentiation between male or female. And if I am not mistaken about sensibility (in my mind empathy, being psychic... they go hand in hand, like the majority of these abilities), there have been both male and female names to go down history as great people-healers.

updated by @kate: 05/02/17 04:07:45PM

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book