Empaths and Alcohol

To post a reply, login or signup

bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
11 months ago
169 posts

So what is it with this combination? I barely drink but when I do I seem to get off total balance hours later and feel a lot of electricity or so to speak in my body...anyone else?  I had 1 drink at my office holiday party and 3-4 hours later I had that happen to me.  I have also realized why I am hyper around large groups of people especially when it is a festive or celebrating occasion! I must be absorbing everyone's emotions and that is probably why I don't have to drink as I am "high" off of everyone else! weird....

updated by @bunnigirl: 05/30/17 06:15:54AM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
11 months ago
728 posts
I have found that since my awakening I am more sensitive to alcohol. My sensitivity comes more in the form of getting physically sick after one drink :/ Not fun if you are at a party and everyone else is drinking. However, I have found that I can get "high" as well, so not weird. I have practiced this at parties and have found that I can pick up the buzz or shield to stay "sober". Kinda handy really. I can enjoy myself plus be the designated driver to boot, lol.
One night when on vacation, I went dancing with my husband and some of my family members. I love to dance, but have to loosen up so I intentionally picked up the buzz. Had a great time but some random guy came up to me and told me I was drunk, lol! Told him I was not drunk but on a natural high! So it can come in handy...I think the term from the 70s is a contact high, lol. 😃 I normally like my solitude but occasionally I do like to mingle.
Your not alone when experiencing this phenomenon.
Blessings
bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
11 months ago
169 posts
@cat-whisperer. Very very confirming for me to hear! It explains how I am most of the time around crowds especially one's that are celebrating! I totally get high naturally and alwayssss wondered why. I never did cocaine but I would say if someone were observing me at a party they would think for sure that I was on it. I noticed you said intentionally, I guess I am still trying to grasp this as my shielding abilities are a work in progress still with crowds particularly. I also notice now that a sugary dessert by itself with no other food affects my body similarly since I am on a more spiritual path.
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
11 months ago
507 posts

Alcohol being a social lubricant helps us all relax more. And as empaths relaxing is the key to fine tuning your emotional radar. I believe that's why you feel so energized at a party where others are relaxed and having fun. You are soaking all that up. But I fund that after a few drinks my empathy gets more muted. 

bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
11 months ago
169 posts

@hop-daddy that does make sense but for me only lately, a few hours later after i have the drink my equilibrium is thrown off and I feel real strange....so having said that I am avoiding celebration parties for a while because if I don't drink I am absorbing all energy and if I do have a drink then I am physically totally off hours later....

Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
11 months ago
507 posts

That's interesting. I don't have that problem. My biggest issue is that I find it is too easy to use alcohol as a way to take a break from my empathy. After a stressful day it can be nice to toss back a couple glasses of wine and mute my empathy. It makes me real happy to turn that off for a couple hours at times and not have to deal. However, I realize it is not healthy to drink often so I try not to run to the bottle every time I have a day of anxiety.

But I will say this when drinking socially at a party I think alcohol lets people in general let their guard down and take off their masks. I would imagine that a trained psychologist would find out more personal info. and guarded secrets from his patients if meeting them in a social setting where everyone was drinking alcohol. And I believe the same is true for us empaths. I think people's energies are easier to read when relaxed by alcohol. It's also just nice to see people unwind and be happy.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
11 months ago
728 posts
@hop-daddy I like your description of alcohol being a "social lubricant", hehe! That's a great name for it. Never heard it called that, it sure did tickle my funny bone. I needed that tonight 😊
SomethingInTheWay
@somethingintheway
11 months ago
8 posts

Wow. I feel like this almost every time I walk into a bar or a party, before I have one drink or drink at all. I always thought I was just weird.. but makes sense you could pick up on the "tipsy" feeling of others as well.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book