Empaths and "the holidays"

To post a reply, login or signup

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
I, for one, have always felt so many emotions around the holidays. Money, families ties that have been cut and mostly just not feeling worthy enough to anyone. For me, I've always have had plenty of friends or what some considered friends but I've never been important to anyone. Not trying to be pitied because I don't need any more negativity but it true. It could be my fault for not allowing anyone in my head.
But Christmas depression is a real thing that effects thousands of people each year if they admit it or not. And , us Empaths, feel the full effect. Our depression and everyone else's. I'm trying to keep my vibration high but I'm fooling myself I know.

http://www.thedailyawe.com/2010/12/coping-with-the-holidays-as-an-empath/
updated by @rene: 08/02/17 01:10:33AM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
I'm glad you brought this up. This time of year is already tough due to the lack of sunlight. Then there are so many expectations from family, I always host the family festivities and feel that everything has to be perfect. And oh the disappointment you can feel if someone doesn't get the gift that they were expecting (even though you ask a million times and get the I don't know answer). I mentioned skipping the whole thing this year...due to the stress it causes. They think that I was evil or something. It has all become so commercial and self centered. It's sad really...the whole idea for the season has been pushed aside and all but forgotten in the gimme gimme gimme flurry. I don't like to be so bah humbug but I'm sure that some can relate. Can we just go to another planet for the rest of the month and come back in January? Lol
Thanks for the link to the article Rene, nice to know we're not alone on how we feel.
Blessings to all...sorry for the rant.
updated by @cat-whisperer: 12/02/16 06:14:41AM
bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
last year
169 posts

Sorry @rene you feel this way..I think you are wonderful in what you express and comment on.  I hope it gets a little better as the holiday approaches...for me it is new year's that affects me...probably cause my bday is 2 days before it! ugh

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

yep!  I get this one! I hate this time of year!!! Similar thing in that i always seem to be looking for somewhere for my kids and i to "belong" for xmas and it gets depressing. All my family around and yet everyone now just goes and does their own thing.... and yep money!!!! Ive been busy this year trying to make a few bits, i do most years as I'm pretty creative and artsy, but i have 5 kids so it is still so damn expensive no matter how much i make! 

I notice as well that come christmas time there are a few suburbs that i just cannot go to. The energy becomes so dense, so much fear, anger resentment there. I avoid shops as much as possible and try to shop online. Ive got it worked out pretty good now so i can avoid the big retail places and not have to pick up all that energy.

Ugh and christmas is meant to be fun and festive! I hate it! 

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
All of the stress....hmm. One of my inlaws religion does not celebrate holidays, birthdays. When she joined the family, there was a lot of animosity from the others in the family due to this. My son now is also not recognizing holidays and birthdays either, which I'm fine with. I have had discussions with her regarding this...and she's got a lot insight on the negative aspects that surround the celebrations. We don't need a special day to honor the ones we love, they should be honored daily. I am growing fonder to these beliefs as there is no expectations or disappointments. It is a lot easier to visit without The hoopla. Maybe one day the rest of the family will be more open to this kind of lifestyle. I'm glad that she has shared her ideas with me. I was raised Christian, but find truths in all religions. I now don't really claim a religion, however, I am spiritual. The shedding of the dogma has been one of the things that has expanded my being and consciousness. Ok, getting off topic here. I wish all peace, love and a stress free month ;)
Brian
@brian
last year
2 posts

Ahh, the holidays.  Such a joyous time of year. A trip to the mall for me is to be going into battle.  The stress levels, the aggressiveness of meeting the demands, the push, push, push.  The enormous amount of emotions from so many people flooding into me like water to a dry sponge makes me want to run outside for  "air" (sometimes I do).  After the experience of such holiday joy, my emotions are in such disarray that it takes the rest of the day to restore some semblance of inner calm and more time for the emotional bruising to heal.  For me, "surviving the holidays" is not a yuletide jest, but a masochistic ritual.

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Even though I stay grounded this time of year can get me so anxious and flustered to the point I can't accomplish anything. I just throw ly hands up.
Visitor
@visitor
11 months ago
303 posts

I usually get somewhat depressed around this time of year, but this year is by far the worst. It feels like the end of the world. I am dealing with it by keeping my de-ionizing salt lamp on all day. I need to get another one or two. 

Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
Visitor:

I usually get somewhat depressed around this time of year, but this year is by far the worst. It feels like the end of the world. I am dealing with it by keeping my de-ionizing salt lamp on all day. I need to get another one or two. 

I have two of them and I never cut mine off. Lol. I need all the good vibes I can get.
Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
I woke this morning in a very negative mood. I started thinking about a baby deer smelling of a flower and puppies every time a negative thought went though my mind and I finally chased all the negativity away. I know that may no work everyday but it helped today
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
11 months ago
506 posts

Rene:

I also go through this every year. On the one hand I love Christmas and some of the light and love that goes with it. But it is so over-commercialized with so much greed built into it. And like you said, there is this underlying thickness of depression in the air. I get hit with a lot of that negative every year until both Christmas and New Years are out of the way. But I love your idea of having happy thoughts to try to reverse it.

Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
I'm that way also. I love the decorations but I pick up so much sadness. I try to get in the mood but it never works. I'm thinking about going out and cutting some cedar limbs to make the house smell like Christmas. Maybe it will trigger something. Lol.

I will be so glad when April comes back around and everything starts to turn green again. The days seems do gray out side.
Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
My current situation

Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
But...I do have my sunshine to help me though it. Lol

She forgot the rest of the song. Lol
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
11 months ago
726 posts
What might be making it worse this year....Mercury retrograde started yesterday and will be in retrograde through the end of the year. Self care, meditation and lots of love ❤️
Everyone take care out there....this too shall soon pass
Blessings
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
11 months ago
726 posts
Rene'':
But...I do have my sunshine to help me though it. Lol

https://youtu.be/JHWGib71Q4g

She forgot the rest of the song. Lol
Love it!! 💜💖❤️️....sooo cute 😻
Tundra2
@tundra2
11 months ago
57 posts

Add me to the list of people who do not enjoy this time of year.  Every year I think this is the year it is going to be good. All the thought I've given to the gifts I give will be appreciated.  All the time I take to cook and decorate will be appreciated.  Just being around the relatives will be nice, talking and visiting.   Every year when its over, I think well maybe next year.

So what am I going to do this year?  This year I am taking a new approach.  This year its about me!  I am not going to the parties because I am expected to.  I am not going to the rude relatives because I am expected to.  I am giving gifts that are within my budget.  Gift cards actually, no shopping for items they do not appreciate.  My time I will spent with "my  family",  my husband and children, everyone else can do what they want without me.  Staying away from all the negative emotions and fakeness and rude behavior!

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday !

Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts
Tundra2:

Add me to the list of people who do not enjoy this time of year.  Every year I think this is the year it is going to be good. All the thought I've given to the gifts I give will be appreciated.  All the time I take to cook and decorate will be appreciated.  Just being around the relatives will be nice, talking and visiting.   Every year when its over, I think well maybe next year.

So what am I going to do this year?  This year I am taking a new approach.  This year its about me!  I am not going to the parties because I am expected to.  I am not going to the rude relatives because I am expected to.  I am giving gifts that are within my budget.  Gift cards actually, no shopping for items they do not appreciate.  My time I will spent with "my  family",  my husband and children, everyone else can do what they want without me.  Staying away from all the negative emotions and fakeness and rude behavior!

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday !

Bravo 👏👏. I have already been excluded so I guess no ones feelings will be hurt. Lol. Just me and the kids but I'm sure my ears will be burning all day. Lol.
I bow to your bravery
Hermes.V
@hermes
11 months ago
104 posts

Rene'': But...I do have my sunshine to help me though it. Lol https://youtu.be/JHWGib71Q4g She forgot the rest of the song. Lol

Awww, she is so adorable @rene. So her names Lilly, it matches her perfectly. Give her a hug from me.

Shirley
@shirley
11 months ago
36 posts
@cat-whisperer I am with you. I think Christmas is too commercialized. I dont like this time of year at all and wouldnt mind just skipping into January!!
Lotusfly
@lotusfly
11 months ago
410 posts

I just dislike the cold weather and snow. Fortunately I'm more south this winter and haven't gotten any snow yet. But the cold goes right through me to my bones!

Lotusfly
@lotusfly
11 months ago
410 posts

I don't really participate in the holidays at this time. It's my choice. We all have a choice.

Rene''
@rene
11 months ago
1,194 posts

Hermes.V:
Rene'': But...I do have my sunshine to help me though it. Lol https://youtu.be/JHWGib71Q4g She forgot the rest of the song. Lol

Awww, she is so adorable @rene. So her names Lilly, it matches her perfectly. Give her a hug from me.

Thank you. Yes her name is Lilly. I will get be her a hug.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book