Vit D3

To post a reply, login or signup

Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
last year
373 posts

thought I'd share the following book recommendation -

Jeff T Bowles

Quite casually written, and do not think the author is an MD (which might actually be good here, you will find out why when reading), but you can tell he has a functioning brain on his shoulders, and has sat down and looked at the 50+K in Vit D studies on PubMed as welll.....

Anyway, I have been a big fan and promoter of VitD3 for years. It did get me out of CFS, and associated depression. My energy has slumped again though since last year, especially last winter. This summer was ok, but I did not really get much done, except for essential stuff. Now with autum starting my energy slumped again, with many existential fears turning up, that I did not really experience since my CFS days (before supplementing D3). Looking back now it seems that this might well be down to me having reduced my VitD intake! I had allowed my GP to somewhat scare me into reducing my dosage (not as far down as she recommended, but still quartered it (from 20.000IU pd, to 5000IU pd, via 10.000Iu pd for a while). It very much seems like that fear is very unfounded though, my blood serum levels were towards the high end (290mmol/l), but still far from becoming toxic, and my Calcium was fine!  Plus there was a bit of confusion on units. The UK NHS recommends to have not more than 150mmol/L (60ng/ml), whereas other scientists, and the VitaminDcouncil say that one is safe under 150ng/ml (375mmol/L), with optimal levels (prudently) around 70-100ng/ml (175-250mmol/l).

So I have been taking 50.000IU for the last three days, and plan to do so for another week or two. Will then likely go down and maiintain at 20.000IU..... Already feeling much better again, and my positive outlook to the future is back!

The list of maladies that one can get with too low VitD levels is very long! And i feel that as an empath I am perhaps even more sensitive to low D levels (like it is easier for negative energies to invade???/). NB, even on 20.000IU pd in the past, I would still get neg energies from others, but they were easier shaken off again, and my energies quicker restored.... 

Oh, and the new thing I learned is that latest advise recommend supplementing VitK2 with ones VitD3!

Love and Light!

updated by @goodenergyhealing: 03/03/17 11:03:36PM
Hop Daddy
@hop-daddy
last year
502 posts

Interesting. I take 2,000-4,000 IU of D3 each day. How does VitD3 differ from regular D3? And how are they getting the body to absorb such high levels? I would think you would just pee out the excess. But if you notice a swing back from feeling low, you may be on to something.

Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
last year
373 posts

Hop Daddy:

Interesting. I take 2,000-4,000 IU of D3 each day. How does VitD3 differ from regular D3? And how are they getting the body to absorb such high levels? I would think you would just pee out the excess. But if you notice a swing back from feeling low, you may be on to something.

Vit(amin) D3, is D3! It is a fat-soluble vitamin, that does not just get excreted if one has too much, as opposed to water-soluble vitamins, like Vitamin C. If we are in the Sun, the Sun is strong enough, we have enough skin exposed, and are not sun blocked we naturally synthesis 10-25.000IU in 10minutes to an hour (might be longer for darker skinned). That is why the medical recommendation of 800iU-2000Iu per day is very low (considering that so many people get very little sun with an indoor life style....). The fat solubility is then usually cited as a warning, as there is a potential to 'over-dose'! Yet there does not seem to be any documented cases where actually toxicity appeared when supplementing <40.000IU pd for months at a time. There were even experiments in the 30s, where people took doses in the millions IU, and had not side effects (not recommending that nowadays though :)) There is a chapter in the book about the history of VitD3 supplementation. Supposedly high doses were very popular in the US in the 30s. Illness rates fell so low, that Pharma and Hospitals had problems turning a profit. Some factoids were then created that hypothesized potential (not proven) dangers of Vit D3 doses of >400IU pd, and morbidity rates rose again..... (I used to be very skeptical about conspiracy theories, but am getting less so :))

As I said - I am a great fan - especially as this time is my second Vitamin D renaissance! And both times the improvement in energy levels and mood is so drastic - it is undeniable! And I have tried a plethora of supplements that are supposed to raise energy levels - nothing comes close to the palpable improvement through high enough dosed Vit D3 :))

(NB - also reading a book about Vitamin C. Orthomolecular Medicine is fascinating! Yes, we pee out excess, but if one supplements several times a day, one can raise ones serum levels. And supposedly during virus infects, and or cancer one should supplement 50-100 (or even higher) grams per day....(which the does not give any bowel side effects, as it would during 'healthy' times)

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts

Interesting info, I always wondered how much D3 I was absorbing in the sun. I love being outdoors and love how being in the sun makes me feel so in the summer months I can be out in the sun for 2 - 5 hours a day (after getting a base tan). I usually don't use sunscreen...don't wanna soak up the chemicals. No wonder I come alive in the summer months. Thanks for sharing :)

Blessings

Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
last year
373 posts

Cat Whisperer:

Interesting info, I always wondered how much D3 I was absorbing in the sun. I love being outdoors and love how being in the sun makes me feel so in the summer months I can be out in the sun for 2 - 5 hours a day (after getting a base tan). I usually don't use sunscreen...don't wanna soak up the chemicals. No wonder I come alive in the summer months. Thanks for sharing :)

Blessings

there supposedly is a few other factors that play into it as well. I did read at one time that our body caps the amount of D3 it synthesizes in the sun naturally (at about 10-30.000IU pd), but now wonder if that info was right? Also the more pigment one has, the longer it can take to synthesis D3; and with age ones ability to synthesis naturally may decline.....

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book