Smarts

To post a reply, login or signup

TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
308 posts
Has anyone on here taken an IQ test or exhibited above average grades in school? I recently saw an article of characteristics of genuises, and one of them was having high levels of empathy. Thought it was interesting because I remember taking IQ tests and scoring really high on them.
updated by @tigerlily: 03/22/17 07:44:41AM
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Hi Tigerlily,

Very interesting question!

I skipped 5th grade and was almost allowed to skip all of high school due to my grades and IQ. (They decided it would hamper my emotional development to let me skip any more grades). My mother, who had the same IQ as I do (140), was also an empath, and graduated first in her college class. She was awarded 3 degrees and a teaching certificate all at once, and the degrees were in very different subjects. I only got one degree, so I am an underachiever in our family, lol. 

I think I read the same article you did. Was it at themindsjournal? I'm not sure about this connection, since I feel empaths are generally right brain dominant, while scoring high on IQ tests may require left brain dominance. Maybe empaths can use both equally? 

In order to uncover the amount of brain damage I have from Lyme Disease and a car accident at which I was declared dead on the scene, I had repeat IQ testing at the age of 43, the first time I'd had a test when old enough to remember the questions. They did not allow any paper, even for math, since they wanted to test my brain power on it's own. I was shocked that some of the questions were clearly a measure of education, not innate ability, so I wonder how much relevance the tests really have, since there are many types of intelligence, emotional intelligence, for one example, which is considered far more important to a happy life than IQ. 

For example, they asked me who wrote the book "Faust". I happen to know that, but all it proves is that I had a good education in literature. For a point of reference, the IQ required to join MENSA, placing one in the top 2%, is 132. I am certainly no expert on IQ, so the answers to this thread should prove very interesting. 

Cheshire Cat

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts

TigerLily: Has anyone on here taken an IQ test or exhibited above average grades in school? I recently saw an article of characteristics of genuises, and one of them was having high levels of empathy. Thought it was interesting because I remember taking IQ tests and scoring really high on them.

I have notice that since I goined this forum.  Everyone seems very intelligent, I mean above average.    

bunnigirl
@bunnigirl
last year
169 posts

Hi Tigerlily,  I don't know if high iq is connected to empath ability.  I haven't thought about that.  I think maybe it has more to do right brain dominance like cheshire-cat shared which would be the creative part of the brain as opposed to the left side of the brain which is more analytical?  Thatis just my opinion though...

Ecila
@ecila
last year
898 posts

That reminds me of the movie "Little Man Tate." Excellent movie if anyone hasn't watched it.

I haven't had an IQ test but did take one for hemisphere dominance. I was equally dominant on both sides...so C Cat might be on to something there. 

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts

I was tested as a child, however, my parents nor the school shared my scores with me but my parents did say that I tested with a higher score than average. School did come easy for me but after I had some bad things happen to me I lost interest in school so I didn't try any more....plus getting mixed up with drugs didn't help :(

Hindsight....if I had it all to do over, I would avoid the bad crowd that I got mixed up with as a teen. Did a lot of self medicating back then....

Lotusfly
@lotusfly
last year
410 posts

I believe empath is only connected to emotional intelligence, not standard IQ testing. 

RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
last year
110 posts

Like most of you...my IQ and EQ is above average...and yes I am more "right brain" dominant ( creative,intuitive ) but I type/use numbers with my left hand and write with my right which is a bit contradictory.

Corey Easton
@corey-easton
last year
62 posts

At first you would think Empath would have a direct correlation with wisdom, if it could be measured. I don't believe in standardized IQ test because I feel it can not be measured from a single test. So I don't waste my time taking them. But I feel I'm above average intelligence, I am going to be getting my computer Science degreee soon and my brain computes numbers instantly. I excel at anything I put my mind too. I am have an extremely logical brain which made it confusing at first figuring out why I was different. it weird to see the reoccurring pattern with being an Empath and intelligence, maybe because we need a faster brain to compute things because 24/7 we are trying to figure out who we are and our purpose and why this or why that and filter the worlds energy at the same time.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book