Sympathy vs empathy

To post a reply, login or signup

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts
Can you be an unsympathetic empath lol
Sometimes I question if I'm really a true empath because so much of the time I have no sympathy and my level of compassion is questionable. I have empathy, I feel you, I see you, I understand the story as to why and how, but sometimes I don't have the compassion to be sympathetic- a lot of the time with myself!! Is this normal? How can I go about practicing more compassion? I feel like my heart and soul has been ripped to shreds over the last couple of years and I'm only just piecing it back together, so I don't have the strength to hold space for too much more "stuff" as I already am for myself + 5 kids. I hope one day I will and think it's coming soon, but I really need to understand and practice compassion. Anyone else understand this?
updated by @renee: 03/13/17 06:03:44AM
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts

Renee: Can you be an unsympathetic empath lol Sometimes I question if I'm really a true empath because so much of the time I have no sympathy and my level of compassion is questionable. I have empathy, I feel you, I see you, I understand the story as to why and how, but sometimes I don't have the compassion to be sympathetic- a lot of the time with myself!! Is this normal? How can I go about practicing more compassion? I feel like my heart and soul has been ripped to shreds over the last couple of years and I'm only just piecing it back together, so I don't have the strength to hold space for too much more "stuff" as I already am for myself + 5 kids. I hope one day I will and think it's coming soon, but I really need to understand and practice compassion. Anyone else understand this?

I understand completely.  At one time I was feeling too much now sometimes I'm numb around some people.     Maybe we are gaining control or our eyes have been open to a different level.  I don't wish anyone harm but I'm kind of glad...sometimes.  It gives me a break and energy to help those who are truly needs me.    

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

Thanks so much for sharing this article! I've only read half of it and already had a bit of a laugh at some of the similarities and just think "ahh yep!" I guess my questioning is more so due to comparison with other people I know who seem to have so much sympathy and compassion and yet I don't most of the time. A lot of it comes down to having seen and experienced so much negative experiences that I lack a lot of sympathy, which I don't mind as I sometimes liken sympathy to pity and I don't like that. It's more the compassion that I would like to have more of! Thankyou though, I look forward to reading the rest of it later tonight 

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

Rene'':

Renee: Can you be an unsympathetic empath lol Sometimes I question if I'm really a true empath because so much of the time I have no sympathy and my level of compassion is questionable. I have empathy, I feel you, I see you, I understand the story as to why and how, but sometimes I don't have the compassion to be sympathetic- a lot of the time with myself!! Is this normal? How can I go about practicing more compassion? I feel like my heart and soul has been ripped to shreds over the last couple of years and I'm only just piecing it back together, so I don't have the strength to hold space for too much more "stuff" as I already am for myself + 5 kids. I hope one day I will and think it's coming soon, but I really need to understand and practice compassion. Anyone else understand this?

I understand completely.  At one time I was feeling too much now sometimes I'm numb around some people.     Maybe we are gaining control or our eyes have been open to a different level.  I don't wish anyone harm but I'm kind of glad...sometimes.  It gives me a break and energy to help those who are truly needs me.    

Yea I gues that's it, I have compassion **sometimes** but with some people it just a bit frustrating and yep you become numb to it 

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Excellent article, Elise! Thanks. Happy

I also have been hurt so badly the past few years that I feel distanced sometimes, despite my empathic feeling of someone's pain. I don't want to let anybody in until I can regain some resilience. It may be a temporary condition for you, Renee, only lasting until you build up your adrenal reserves again, though this can take quite some time. 

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

Cheshire Cat:

I also have been hurt so badly the past few years that I feel distanced sometimes, despite my empathic feeling of someone's pain. I don't want to let anybody in until I can regain some resilience. It may be a temporary condition for you, Renee, only lasting until you build up your adrenal reserves again, though this can take quite some time. 

I do hope it's only temporary. I've also had a difficult few years and it's only been through that time I've really noticed it. So you may be right build up the reserves and see how things go! 

Kaitlyn Brokaw
@kaitlyn-brokaw
last year
216 posts

I think compassion and sympathy and empathy are all very vast a and different, leaving a huge leeway to the definitions of each. Define what it means to you, all empaths are different :) 

Also, I suggest working closer with Kuan Yin, who is an ascended master, she is the goddess of Compassion. I've seen her miracles happen right in front of me and it's quite amazing. <3

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts

Kaitlyn Brokaw:

I think compassion and sympathy and empathy are all very vast a and different, leaving a huge leeway to the definitions of each. Define what it means to you, all empaths are different :) 

Also, I suggest working closer with Kuan Yin, who is an ascended master, she is the goddess of Compassion. I've seen her miracles happen right in front of me and it's quite amazing. <3

Hello Kaitlyn,  glad to see you black. 

Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts

Renee:

Cheshire Cat:

I do hope it's only temporary. I've also had a difficult few years and it's only been through that time I've really noticed it. So you may be right build up the reserves and see how things go! 

I think we separate ourselves in a way from normal human psychology because we don't quite 'fit in'.  However, we are still human and the laws of psychology still apply.  I divorced my narc husband 4 years ago, I could not in any way shape or form have any desire to seek another relationship and I saw myself single for the rest of my life.  All my friends are like no, hang in there, you'll find someone.  I'm like dear god I hope not!  It's been 4 years and I am just starting to think it might be nice, if I found a connection with someone... he'd have to be pretty darn spectacular though.  So, maybe my heart is healing from my distrust and hatred of men.  A little bit, very very slowly.  So, all that to say, it's not impossible for the areas in your life to shut down where you have too much going on, too much pain, too many bad experiences, etc.  They stop working because they are unable to function under the current burden and/or terrified more will be more damaging than can be tolerated.  It's okay.  It will most likely come back when you are in a position to have room for more or heal or whatever it is you need.  We only have so much to give it's not endless.  :)

TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
309 posts

@renee, you seem very stressed today like everythibg inside is shaking.  Are you ok?  

I do feel you all on this.  I feel we need to put more love and compassion to us first.  i know when i do my confidence goes amd i can help people better.  To me I feel it's a problem in society in general, love you first and the rest will follow.  We are being broken down all the time by narcs and fake people.  people who themself have to find that love fot themselves. But always look for in it in other people to give it to them.  it's a vicious cycle if you follow.  But in the end seems we as empaths suffer the most and need to be more compassionate to ourselves as well.  From the time I've been on this community I see it alot.   I think it takes alot to develop that emotional strength to handle both.  I also think alot of us do a great job at it, and others time the energy accumulates and we crash before we know it.  

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

Kaitlyn Brokaw:

Kuan yin is showing up a lot all over the place for me and is one I am very interested in learning more about.... unfortunately I can find very few sources of anything good. Can you recommend? 

Renee
@renee
last year
137 posts

TigerLily:

@renee, you seem very stressed today like everythibg inside is shaking.  Are you ok?  

I do feel you all on this.  I feel we need to put more love and compassion to us first.  i know when i do my confidence goes amd i can help people better.  To me I feel it's a problem in society in general, love you first and the rest will follow.  We are being broken down all the time by narcs and fake people.  people who themself have to find that love fot themselves. But always look for in it in other people to give it to them.  it's a vicious cycle if you follow.  But in the end seems we as empaths suffer the most and need to be more compassionate to ourselves as well.  From the time I've been on this community I see it alot.   I think it takes alot to develop that emotional strength to handle both.  I also think alot of us do a great job at it, and others time the energy accumulates and we crash before we know it.  

Today? Or when I wrote this? Today has been great, very relaxed as I finally got sometime under the water which is where I'm able to relax and recharge! When I wrote this though yes likely a little stressed as it's been a stressful few months/years... I'm hoping I'm coming to the end of it and as we finish up this cycle I can move into the next with renewed hope! I do completely agree with the need for compassion for the self. I was just speaking with someone about this today how there is so much energy given to others without topping up our own reserves and therefore becoming drained extremely quickly. And the need for self compassion and just giving ourselves the time to recharge and not be so harsh on ourselves... 

TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
309 posts

Amen sista!  I've been so stressed too the past few months, and sometimes I don't even know why lol.  And I'm so tired I don't even follow up with my close friends and family like I used too.  I think all the me time has turned me into a hermit :)  (and yes, when you wrote this :)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book